RTW gains popularity in Michigan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:25:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  RTW gains popularity in Michigan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: RTW gains popularity in Michigan  (Read 2110 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2013, 09:47:33 AM »

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/250383/2/Right-to-work-takes-effect-state-sharply-divided

Michigan residents remain sharply divided over the Right-to-work law that took effect Thursday. That's according to a poll of 1,013 citizens conducted this winter by Michigan State University's Institute for Public Policy and Social Research.

Dr. Charles Ballard said 42.7% of people polled said they believe the new law will help Michigan's economy while 41% said it will hurt. He said that's a statistical dead heat the promises the issue will remain alive.

Snyder will be in great shape in 2014.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »

1. Decimals...

2. Undecideds are fairly high. I fully expect numbers to shift after people are educated as to what "right to work" actually is.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 01:12:31 PM »

Because most Governors with 37/54 approvals are reelected just fine!

I'm so glad Governor Perdue is still in office!
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 01:14:26 PM »

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/250383/2/Right-to-work-takes-effect-state-sharply-divided

Michigan residents remain sharply divided over the Right-to-work law that took effect Thursday. That's according to a poll of 1,013 citizens conducted this winter by Michigan State University's Institute for Public Policy and Social Research.

Dr. Charles Ballard said 42.7% of people polled said they believe the new law will help Michigan's economy while 41% said it will hurt. He said that's a statistical dead heat the promises the issue will remain alive.

I don't take decimal polls seriously. At all.

Also, what Miles said
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 03:29:04 PM »

I think hell just froze over. 
Then again, I highly doubt he'll run for a second term.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »

Dr. Charles Ballard said 42.7% of people polled said they believe the new law will help Michigan's economy while 41% said it will hurt.

Um, no.

Colorado is far less unionized than Michigan is, yet voters there handily rejected a "right-to-work" referendumb.

(Incidentally, did anyone ever make a map of how that referendumb turned out?)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 11:03:48 PM »

A better example would be Pat Quinn.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 11:15:19 PM »

1. Decimals...

2. Undecideds are fairly high. I fully expect numbers to shift after people are educated as to what "right to work" actually is.

Yes, the shift will be towards freedom in the marketplace and towards Mr. Snyder, not unlike Mr. Kasich who is currently romping to re-election.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 11:15:38 PM »

Pat Quinn had a partisan advantage, Snyder does not.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 11:16:35 PM »

So Michigan is a strongly Republican state, and the likely Democratic nominee will be a nutjob from a bad part of the state to have a political base that will win a heavily divisive primary with less than 25% of the vote and still go on to lose the election by less than a point?

Yeah "just fine" are the words I'd use to describe Snyder alright.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 11:17:02 PM »

Comparing a Democratic governor in a dark blue state to a Republican governor in a light blue state is ludicrous, especially when that governor most likely won't even make it past the primary.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 11:20:03 PM »

So Michigan is a strongly Republican state, and the likely Democratic nominee will be a nutjob from a bad part of the state to have a political base that will win a heavily divisive primary with less than 25% of the vote and still go on to lose the election by less than a point?

Possibly so. That bad part of the state is Detroit.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 11:23:04 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2013, 11:27:32 PM by krazen1211 »

Comparing a Democratic governor in a dark blue state to a Republican governor in a light blue state is ludicrous, especially when that governor most likely won't even make it past the primary.

The bizarre time warp of using Mr. Snyder's approval rating in an arbitrary poll in March 2013 is certainly quite ludicrous, yes.

The unions think they can defeat our champion union busters; well, they thought so about Christie and Walker back in 2011.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 11:37:54 PM »

Possibly so. That bad part of the state is Detroit.

Nope. Mark Schauer's from Battle Creek, which is in south-central MI. I don't see Peters running and I don't see Stupak (who's a yooper) making it past the primary if he goes for it.

The bizarre time warp of using Mr. Snyder's approval rating in an arbitrary poll in March 2013 is certainly quite ludicrous, yes.

The unions think they can defeat our champion union busters; well, they thought so about Christie and Walker back in 2011.

PPP sure as hell isn't arbitrary. It's actually quite accurate (almost as accurate as Quinnipiac), and EPIC-MRA had similar results.

Comparing Christie and Walker to Rick Snyder's even more ludicrous than comparing him to Quinn. Christie salvaged his approvals with the way he handled Sandy, and well, Walker was smart enough to enact it early in his term. He's made up for his mistakes enough to earn him reelection. Snyder was stupid, though, and passed it right after the election in 2012. And trust me, voters will remember RTW when they go to the voting booths.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 11:41:15 PM »

How is that popular? Michigan is a heavily unionized state, which is why Snyder's numbers have sank, because right-to-work doesn't fit with the state. It didn't fit with Ohio and was overturned by a landslide proportion. Kasich backed off it and hasn't tried to pass it again, because he knows it would be a liability.

Didn't you learn anything from your many wrong, overconfident predictions in 2012?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 11:42:24 PM »

We need to destroy "right-to-work" in every state that has it.

If I start a small business, and if you work for me, you pay union fees. End of story. I don't care what the "right-to-work" laws say.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 11:59:09 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2013, 12:13:20 AM by krazen1211 »

PPP sure as hell isn't arbitrary. It's actually quite accurate (almost as accurate as Quinnipiac), and EPIC-MRA had similar results.

Comparing Christie and Walker to Rick Snyder's even more ludicrous than comparing him to Quinn. Christie salvaged his approvals with the way he handled Sandy, and well, Walker was smart enough to enact it early in his term. He's made up for his mistakes enough to earn him reelection. Snyder was stupid, though, and passed it right after the election in 2012. And trust me, voters will remember RTW when they go to the voting booths.

Revisionist history. Christie's approval was already going up well before Hurricane Sandy. See this post.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=135562.0

Just more than a year after union busting, Mr. Scott Walker already won re-election, once.

But let's check the calendar, shall we?

Time frame between December 2012 and November 2014: 23 months.
Time frame between May 2011 and June 2012: 13 months.

Whoops.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 11:59:34 PM »

How is that popular? Michigan is a heavily unionized state, which is why Snyder's numbers have sank, because right-to-work doesn't fit with the state. It didn't fit with Ohio and was overturned by a landslide proportion. Kasich backed off it and hasn't tried to pass it again, because he knows it would be a liability.

Didn't you learn anything from your many wrong, overconfident predictions in 2012?

We'll see how long it actually holds. Not that it really matters, he still has a terrible attitude for someone who is running a state, he's too angry.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 12:10:10 AM »

It's been turning for months now.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/new-jersey/release-detail?ReleaseID=1711

New Jersey voters approve 55 - 38 percent of the job Christie is doing as governor, compared to his all-time high of 58 - 38 percent October 12. Approval is 62 - 32 percent among men and 49 - 44 percent among women.

See SawxDem's Hurricane Sandy effect 8 months before Hurricane Sandy!
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 12:15:57 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2013, 12:21:52 AM by SawxDem »

Revisionist history. Christie's approval was already going up well before Hurricane Sandy. See this post.

Just more than a year after union busting, Mr. Scott Walker already won re-election, once.

His approvals were still good, but Booker was only down by around 4-7 during the time that you are talking about. Pre-Sandy Christie sure helped his case for re-election, but it was his response to the hurricane and outreach to Democrats that moved his seat into safe territory. Please, before you start being condescending, get your crap together.

And yes, just more than a year after union busting, Walker did run. However, Barrett was a bad candidate whose message seemed to be "I'm not Scott Walker" the second time around. Turnout was down by more than 10% compared to the general as well, which contributed to the lack of votes. Walker is well-established now and has good approvals. He will be hard to unseat this time around. Christie is one of the most popular governors in the country. They aren't even in the same breath as Snyder, and you're divorced from reality if you think they are.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 12:22:46 AM »

And your point is? I suggested that Christie's numbers could fall, you stated that Snyder would be in good shape for 2014 based on a poll with tons of undecideds. A plurality with tons of undecideds doesn't equal popular.

But, Senator Brown, Senator Thompson, Senator Akin, President Romney and whoever else you claimed was dominating are all proof of your erroneous predictions.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 12:24:11 AM »

And your point is? I suggested that Christie's numbers could fall, you stated that Snyder would be in good shape for 2014 based on a poll with tons of undecideds. A plurality with tons of undecideds doesn't equal popular.

But, Senator Brown, Senator Thompson, Senator Akin, President Romney and whoever else you claimed was dominating are all proof of your erroneous predictions.

Didn't you learn anything from your many wrong, overconfident predictions in 2011?

Nope.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 12:25:41 AM »

His approvals were still good, but Booker was only down by around 4-7 during the time that you are talking about. Pre-Sandy Christie sure helped his case for re-election, but it was his response to the hurricane and outreach to Democrats that moved his seat into safe territory. Please, before you start being condescending, get your crap together.

And yes, just more than a year after union busting, Walker did run. However, Barrett was a bad candidate whose message seemed to be "I'm not Scott Walker" the second time around. Turnout was down by more than 10% compared to the general as well, which contributed to the lack of votes. Walker is well-established now and has good approvals. He will be hard to unseat this time around. Christie is one of the most popular governors in the country. They aren't even in the same breath as Snyder, and you're divorced from reality if you think they are.

My crap together? For the record, turnout in Mr. Walker's recall was roughly 10% up from Mr. Walker's initial election. You might want to consider gaining a limited grasp of the facts first.

Mr. Christie's approvals were in the 30s this time in 2011. You are performing the extremely curious method of projecting a current approval out by roughly 20 months! How funny!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 12:29:45 AM »

Didn't you learn anything from your many wrong, overconfident predictions in 2011?

Nope.

You are not addressing the fact that you made several wrong predictions. I maintained that Obama would win and that seats like MA, MO and WI would stay in the Democratic column, plus I never constantly overrated Democratic chances.

Check the election results? Your predictions were wrong.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 12:31:47 AM »

This lie is over 50 years old.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length