Welcome to the Runoff!: LA 2015 Liveblog
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:00:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Welcome to the Runoff!: LA 2015 Liveblog
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 61
Author Topic: Welcome to the Runoff!: LA 2015 Liveblog  (Read 174725 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: November 17, 2015, 04:04:20 PM »

Here is a link to the RRH poll, in case it was not put it. The most interesting thing is that of the close to half of the voters who have already voted, Vitter leads 48% to 44% over Edwards. The poll has those who have not yet voted, but likely to vote, going 52% to 36% for Edwards. That strikes me as a rather amazing discrepancy.

How can there be 8% undecided among early voters? These people already made their decision. This just makes the poll look like complete junk.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #976 on: November 17, 2015, 04:10:02 PM »

Here is a link to the RRH poll, in case it was not put it. The most interesting thing is that of the close to half of the voters who have already voted, Vitter leads 48% to 44% over Edwards. The poll has those who have not yet voted, but likely to vote, going 52% to 36% for Edwards. That strikes me as a rather amazing discrepancy.

How can there be 8% undecided among early voters? These people already made their decision. This just makes the poll look like complete junk.
By golly, you're right.

Trash it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #977 on: November 17, 2015, 04:12:40 PM »

Oh there is chit chat on the discussion board about that. Respondents pressed the wrong button and the like, as they responded to the automated calls.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #978 on: November 17, 2015, 04:26:09 PM »

Oh there is chit chat on the discussion board about that. Respondents pressed the wrong button and the like, as they responded to the automated calls.

The pollster should adapt for this by asking people if they already voted before the horserace questions, and then have the automated call prohibit such people from responding 'undecided' to any horserace question. Or, manually go through the responses after the calls are made and completely throw out any 'undecided early vote' participant.

Leaving the illogical responses in there just makes the poll worse.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #979 on: November 17, 2015, 05:30:19 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2015, 05:36:56 PM by Del Tachi »

Prediction:
John Bel Edwards (D) - 52,9%  ✔
David Vitter (R) - 47,1%

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #980 on: November 17, 2015, 05:33:34 PM »

They way oversampled early voters.

21% of the primary electorate voted early, which was the highest early vote share in any recent statewide election.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #981 on: November 17, 2015, 06:30:21 PM »

They way oversampled early voters.

21% of the primary electorate voted early, which was the highest early vote share in any recent statewide election.

Hmmm. That seems like a major flaw doesn't it?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #982 on: November 17, 2015, 06:38:53 PM »

I tried to imagine a county map for this and this is what I came up with

Then I realized, this is very similar to Landrieu's 52-46 win in 2008. It looks like Louisiana is reverting back to when a sizable number of whites voted Democratic (30-40%). I tried to work out a reasonable scenario:

Whites (65%): 65% Vitter, 35% Edwards
Blacks (30%): 95% Edwards, 5% Vitter
Other (5%): 65% Edwards, 35% Vitter

Equates to 54.5% Edwards, 45.5% Vitter. Edwards needs just 28% of the white vote to win, more if black turnout isn't as good.

I don't have Edwards winning Ouachita, but I do have him winning Rapides, Allen, Jeff Davis and Ascension

I don't think Cajun country will just unanimously swing back to him. Ouachita you're probably right on as Miles has told me, but the rest of them were >65% Romney and Cassidy. Don't think its happening.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #983 on: November 17, 2015, 08:00:26 PM »

What the final stretch of the ad wars is looking like:

Vitter, as you'd expect, is going for the lowest common denominator. He has an ad attacking Obama/Edwards on Syrian refugees which uses footage of the Paris attacks.

Edwards has a direct-to-camera ad hitting back.

Finally, the anti-Vitter GumboPAC hits Vitter on his spying.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #984 on: November 17, 2015, 08:04:45 PM »

What the final stretch of the ad wars is looking like:

Vitter, as you'd expect, is going for the lowest common denominator. He has an ad attacking Obama/Edwards on Syrian refugees which uses footage of the Paris attacks.

Edwards has a direct-to-camera ad hitting back.

Finally, the anti-Vitter GumboPAC hits Vitter on his spying.

Say what you will about Vitter, but that seems like an effective ad. It is LCD, lobbying for votes based on fear, but that will tip the undecideds heavily in Vitter's favor, I think.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #985 on: November 17, 2015, 08:05:16 PM »

Not a fan of the positioning, but once again, I appreciate that Edwards fights back.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #986 on: November 17, 2015, 08:13:48 PM »

Not really sure if it's their bigotry or their appearance, but damn I can't remember the last time there was an election between two uglier candidates.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #987 on: November 17, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »

David Vitter looks and talks like a Simpsons Character.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #988 on: November 17, 2015, 08:25:54 PM »

This evening Vitter, made a speech on Syrian refugees to an empty chamber.

He probably would be getting more attention for this back home if it wasn't for the Jindal news. 'Looks like Jindal is still screwing up Vitter's plans. Wink
Zache

« Reply #989 on: November 17, 2015, 08:42:23 PM »

Not really sure if it's their bigotry or their appearance, but damn I can't remember the last time there was an election between two uglier candidates.

JBE looks like an iguana and Vitter has beady eyes and a weird chin-neck thing.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #990 on: November 17, 2015, 08:52:40 PM »

Has Louisiana certified the results of the primary yet?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #991 on: November 18, 2015, 12:00:10 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2015, 12:04:26 AM by Miles »

It wasn't nearly the spectacle that the Governor debates were but the LG candidates had a debate tonight. As the main focus of the LG is promoting tourism, the issues were more esoteric and less partisan, with the candidates generally agreeing on several things.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #992 on: November 18, 2015, 01:18:51 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2015, 01:21:42 AM by smoltchanov »

Not a fan of the positioning, but once again, I appreciate that Edwards fights back.

You have to give and take when you're a Democrat running in an R+10 state.  And it goes both ways.  You don't see Baker or Hogan opposing Obama on everything, but surely they are preferable for R's over Coakley and Brown.  Same principle here.  You don't win opposition +10 areas running on your national agenda.

+100. Always had a sort of algorithm (and principle at the same time): "Democrats must run the most liberal candidate able to win (district or state), but in some distiricts and states that can mean not only moderate, but outright conservative candidates (who still almost always will be less conservative then Republican ones), Republicans - vice versa (including moderate or outright liberals in some districts and states)"

So JBE is absolutely fine to me in Louisiana. And even more conservative Democrat (like Kathleen Blanco) would be fine to me there too. Absolutely different - in Vermont or Hawaii))))
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #993 on: November 18, 2015, 03:45:26 AM »

Edwards gets 39% of Whites in the RRH poll, which is roughly 2x what Obama and Landrieu got.

Edwards should be safe with anywhere above 33%, if Blacks make up 28-30% of the electorate.

But the terrorism card that Vitter plays now could make it closer than it appears. But I'm sticking with my 55-45 Edwards prediction for now.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #994 on: November 18, 2015, 04:04:43 AM »

I still stick with my 51-52 - 48-49 prediction. But will be happy to err and "underestimate Edwards".....
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #995 on: November 18, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »

It was already going to be really close when factoring in the terrible situation of polls over-estimating Democrat support as of late and the notorious instance of practically every Southern undecided voter breaking for the Republican at the end of the day, but I think this has now cost Edwards the election.

People really underestimate the amount to which bigoted white Southerners loved to be wooed with dog-whistling politics. This particular issue just so happens to combine them all (racism, xenophobia, religious bigotry, etc). Rubes in Louisiana are just orgasming everywhere right now, now that they've been given in their eyes a concrete reason to oppose Edwards.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #996 on: November 18, 2015, 07:36:49 AM »

It was already going to be really close when factoring in the terrible situation of polls over-estimating Democrat support as of late and the notorious instance of practically every Southern undecided voter breaking for the Republican at the end of the day, but I think this has now cost Edwards the election.

People really underestimate the amount to which bigoted white Southerners loved to be wooed with dog-whistling politics. This particular issue just so happens to combine them all (racism, xenophobia, religious bigotry, etc). Rubes in Louisiana are just orgasming everywhere right now, now that they've been given in their eyes a concrete reason to oppose Edwards.
^^^^^^

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #997 on: November 18, 2015, 07:50:30 AM »

ROFL
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #998 on: November 18, 2015, 11:18:30 AM »

GumboPAC hits Vitter on Syria.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #999 on: November 18, 2015, 01:15:52 PM »

Edwards gets endorsements from almost 30 Jefferson Parish officials, from both parties. This is Vitter's home parish.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies