Wearing orange on St. Patrick's Day
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:02:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Wearing orange on St. Patrick's Day
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Have you ever seen someone do this/do this?
Yes, and it's quite offensive

Yes, but it's not offensive

No, but it would be offensive

No, but it's not offensive

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Wearing orange on St. Patrick's Day  (Read 10559 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 12:16:54 PM »

I used to do this, but basically no one noticed/cared, so I quit.

So like all trolls, when no one notices you're an attention whore, you go away.   Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I was also quite a bit more immature back then.

Of course the real reason for this was the often absurd and obnoxious behavior of a minority contingent but still very visible one of Irish Americans. Who for the record I wasn't even aware of until I had the internet since I live in the Midwest. That certainly played a role in my later view of rejecting all types of cultural identification, at least ones based on ethnicity, rather than things you choose.

Huh What on Earth are you talking about?  I was certainly unaware of the cult of Italian-Americanism IRLz (I think I first heard about it from books), but St. Paul has a large Irish Fair every summer, and has a long and storied Irish-American community.

Perhaps, but North Dakota does not. There might've been more Native Americans in North Dakota at the time I grew up there than whites of non-German/Scandinavian ancestry.

I, for one, commend BRTD for his heroic acts of real life trolling.

It is one thing to wear orange to the office, quite another to wear it in a crowd of drunken, ignorant lunatics.

Well where was I wearing orange? The office.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 12:19:39 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2013, 12:22:13 PM by Parks And What You Meant To Me »

FWIW, one of my best friends has a first name with a very Irish spelling (Sean, as opposed to Shawn), has a very Irish last name, and doesn't give a sh!t in any way shape or form about being Irish, or about St. Patrick's Day. He also would never identify as Catholic in any sense or any type of religious identity besides atheist. But he is also "scene", so that might be a factor....but still you can see why it's hard for me to buy into that these type of stereotypes and identifications are so universal when it clearly doesn't apply to the people I know.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 12:25:33 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2013, 12:30:17 PM by Torie »

Indeed I have. My Commercial Law prof did - a quite famous man, James White at the University of Michigan Law School (he wrote the book on Commericial Law that was, and may still be, the standard text that Law Schools use), still going strong at about age 90 (I saw him a few months ago at my 35th law school reunion). He was a fighter pilot, then went to work for one of the top firms in LA after Law School, but his wife hated LA, and threatened to divorce him, so he took up teaching at the Law School. He was incredibly fit, and nobody could beat him at racketball (a bit sport at Michigan, where it was invented), and one of about 3 well known Pub professors there (the other two were a black Lesbian woman, and a gay man (died of AIDS a few years later sad to say).

Anyway, on St. Pats day he showed up in an orange tie. I guess he was of Scots Irish descent, or something (or maybe not, since his last name, was my mother's maiden name, and both her clan and his were Iowans (maybe he is a distant relative is what I am trying to say), and my clan were Yankees). Nobody minded much. He was just well, different. Great guy, and smart as a tack of course, and best friends with the gay Pub professor (he spoke movingly of at his funeral).

And there you have it!  One thing that often happens when you get old, is that you tell a lot of stories. Tongue Be patient with me. Someday, you will too. Smiley
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »

Okay, ignoring that this thread is pretty much pointless, I find it incredibly amusing that you just used the "some of my best friends are [X]" argument that you hear from horrible bigots all the time. Not calling you one, mind, just finding it really funny.

I wasn't really doing that, just pointing out there do exist Irish-Americans who don't give a sh!t about Irish culture or identity.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »

Okay, ignoring that this thread is pretty much pointless, I find it incredibly amusing that you just used the "some of my best friends are [X]" argument that you hear from horrible bigots all the time. Not calling you one, mind, just finding it really funny.

Well it now is graced with one of my boring little stories, so there!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 12:35:54 PM »

It's St. Patrick's Day?  I knew that it was March 17th, but the holiday did not occur to me; I guess it's not that important.  I put on clothes that happen to be neither green nor orange.

I have no Irish blood (Northern or Southern).  I don't remember ever wearing orange on St. Patrick's Day (never intentionally), but we were expected to wear green in grade school (to avoid pinches).  I no longer think about it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »

Literally the only time I pay attention to the clothes I put on now instead of just putting on the first shirt I grab from the clean laundry basket is when I'm going to a show that day and want to avoid being "that guy" or have a specific band shirt in mind that I see as most appropriate for the event. Actually applies to a few social events too, I specifically chose some band shirts for my high school reunion for example.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 12:48:06 PM »

And in fact I bet that if I had any Irish ancestry my opinions on Irish culture and those who are obnoxious about it would remain the same. I'd probably seen as this by some.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 01:22:42 PM »

I wasn't really doing that, just pointing out there do exist Irish-Americans who don't give a sh!t about Irish culture or identity.

And what's that supposed to demonstrate to those of us who do?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 01:26:16 PM »

Wait, are you Irish? If so that also works against the reasoning that I've always been told by lots of Irish posters that being Catholic is integral to being Irish.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2013, 01:29:06 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2013, 01:31:03 PM by Nathan »

Wait, are you Irish? If so that also works against the reasoning that I've always been told by lots of Irish posters that being Catholic is integral to being Irish.

...I'm...I have both Catholic and Protestant Irish ancestors...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2013, 01:35:19 PM by Parks And What You Meant To Me »

Well I'm sure many Americans do. I'm talking though about the premise that people like oakvale like to lecture me on that identifying as Catholic is integral to being Irish and this should be done even if one is an atheist, that it's well known I really dislike. I also know my atheist Irish friend I mentioned would feel the same.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 01:40:58 PM »

Well I'm sure many Americans do. I'm talking though about the premise that people like oakvale like to lecture me on that identifying as Catholic is integral to being Irish and this should be done even if one is an atheist, that it's well known I really dislike. I also know my atheist Irish friend I mentioned would feel the same.

It's integral to certain types of Irish identity, arguably most or all of the most common types.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 01:42:50 PM »

Thanks be to the evil spirit of the rice-field there is no St. Patrick's Day here.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 01:45:01 PM »

Who in the hell wears orange any day of the year?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 01:46:24 PM »

So like all trolls, when no one notices you're an attention whore, you go away.   Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Of course the real reason for this was the often absurd and obnoxious behavior of a minority contingent but still very visible one of Irish Americans. Who for the record I wasn't even aware of until I had the internet since I live in the Midwest. That certainly played a role in my later view of rejecting all types of cultural identification, at least ones based on ethnicity, rather than things you choose.

Huh What on Earth are you talking about?  I was certainly unaware of the cult of Italian-Americanism IRLz (I think I first heard about it from books), but St. Paul has a large Irish Fair every summer, and has a long and storied Irish-American community.

Perhaps, but North Dakota does not. There might've been more Native Americans in North Dakota at the time I grew up there than whites of non-German/Scandinavian ancestry.

I, for one, commend BRTD for his heroic acts of real life trolling.

It is one thing to wear orange to the office, quite another to wear it in a crowd of drunken, ignorant lunatics.

Well where was I wearing orange? The office.

Yeah, pointing out that it isn't exactly a heroic act of real life trolling. It is just trying to be dickish and being sheltered from any real adverse consequences.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »

Incorrect.  53,678 North Dakotans reported Irish ancestry in the 1990 census, while only 25,917 reported AIAN status.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 02:27:01 PM »

I'd be wearing orange today, if I owned anything orange (other than an NDP shirt). But, I'd probably get tired explaining to people why I was wearing orange. I have nothing against St. Patrick's Day; I'd be wearing orange because my Irish ancestry is from the north, and is Protestant.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »

And in fact I bet that if I had any Irish ancestry my opinions on Irish culture and those who are obnoxious about it would remain the same. I'd probably seen as this by some.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that knowing you you would probably be a hardcore Sinn Fein supporter and be making the same "F*** the Nazi Monarchy!" thread every March 17th.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »

Stupid and pointless, though I find very little to actually be offensive.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2013, 04:52:25 PM »

This thread is terrible and should be nuked.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »

i dont really care but it seems like a stupid waste of itme, like simfan saying he wore organge on st patrick's day. No you don't, Simfan.

Anyway Happy st Patrick's Day BRTD Purple heart
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2013, 05:10:23 PM »

Nah, I'm pretty sure that knowing you you would probably be a hardcore Sinn Fein supporter and be making the same "F*** the Nazi Monarchy!" thread every March 17th.

You're forgetting that I still wouldn't be Catholic. Even if raised as such, I'd convert, since there'd be no reason for me not to. After all I put absolutely no value whatsoever in culture, tradition, or what my ancestors did. And that would make me an...Irish Protestant. Meaning I'd be inclined to sympathize with unionists even more, and would have no reason to be sympathetic to Catholics in Northern Ireland.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2013, 05:15:24 PM »

brtd i love you but you know you litereally make no sense ever. you would not be the same person if you were had irish ancestry.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2013, 05:18:22 PM »

brtd i love you but you know you litereally make no sense ever. you would not be the same person if you were had irish ancestry.

Why not? As I noted before not all Irish Americans are obnoxious about it. If my parents were Irish but as big about their ethnicity as they were about being German or Swedish (that is basically not at all) it would be essentially a non-factor. And how would that prevent me from getting into the scene? Like I noted, my friend is in the scene, and does not care one iota about being Irish.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies