2012 county & metro area estimates released today (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:59:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2012 county & metro area estimates released today (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2012 county & metro area estimates released today  (Read 4843 times)
Franknburger
Germany

« on: March 17, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »

I think that when I see "500 people per square mile" now, the picture that comes to mind is a mostly agricultural area where, say, one or two of the farms have been sold to developers and subdivided but the surrounding area is still productive or protected land.  Eh, I guess that does count as the far exurban fringe these days.

I tried to figure out how such an "urban" area would look in Germany, and found this place:

Not necessarily the first thing coming to mind, but yes, I guess with a bit of fantasy you may still call this place "urban". A few more impressions from local websites and real estate offers:

Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:33:39 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2013, 11:54:58 AM by Franknburger »

I think the lesson here is that 500 people per square mile is a very unnatural density- the largest-lot subdivisions will be higher, anything purely rural (even including hamlets, and in wet climates) will be lower.  You need a hodgepodge to hit that mark.  

You could end up with a 500 people per square mile density in an urban area if it's a mostly commercial district. There's a suburb in Minnesota with around that density that consists of a couple townhomes and a few car dealerships (the total population by the way is less than 500, minuscule place in both population and area.) Minneapolis' Downtown East neighborhood by the way has a density of 237 people per square mile.

To underline both points, here another German example (view from ENE to WSW, older photo, probably from turn of the millennium, but the best I could find):

Definitely (sub-)urban according to demographic trends...

.. except for the fact that population density is being kept below 500 / square mile by

Using a parish-level approach, Großziethen (pop. 7,380, upper right corner of the older aerial photo above) would probably qualify as urban. Schönefeld proper (pop. 3,200, to the south of the Berlin border marked in red in the aerial photo below, airport area commences immediately south of the motorway) however, would still be counted as rural.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies