Religion of State Governors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:49:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Religion of State Governors
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Religion of State Governors  (Read 7081 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2013, 06:00:02 PM »
« edited: March 05, 2013, 10:26:02 PM by blagohair.com »

Can you guys assist me in making a list of the religion of all state governors.  I would like to do something similar later for all countries in the world.
Also, feel free to correct any mistakes

Maine: Catholic
New Hampshire: United Church of Christ
Vermont: Judaism
Massachusetts: Presbyterian
Rhode Island: Episcopal
Connecticut: Catholic
New York: Catholic
New Jersey: Catholic
Pennsylvania: Catholic
Delaware: Judaism
Maryland: Catholic
DC: Catholic
Virginia: Catholic
West Virginia: Presbyterian
Ohio: ?
Michigan: Catholic
Indiana: Catholic
Illinois: Catholic
Wisconsin: Non-denominational Evangelical Born-Again
Kentucky: Baptist
Tennessee: Presbyterian
North Carolina: ?
South Carolina: Methodism
Georgia: Baptist
Florida: Evangelical
Alabama: Baptist
Mississippi: United Methodist
Minnesota: Presbyterian
Iowa: Catholic
Missouri: Methodism
Arkansas: Episcopal
Louisiana: Catholic
North Dakota: ?
South Dakota: Lutheran
Nebraska: Methodist
Kansas: Catholic
Oklahoma: Church of God
Texas: Evangelical
New Mexico: Catholic
Colorado: Quaker
Montana: ?
Wyoming: ?
Utah: Mormon
Arizona: Lutheran - Missouri Synod
Idaho: Catholic
Nevada: Catholic
Washington: ?
Oregon: Nondenominational Christian
California: Catholic
Hawaii: Episcopal
Alaska: Nondenominational Christian
Puerto Rico: ?
US Virgin Islands: Catholic
Guam: ?
Northern Mariana Islands: ?
American Samoa: ?

USA: Christian
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:11:10 PM »

Mike Pence isn't Roman Catholic. He's an Nondenominational Evangelical Christian.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 07:28:17 PM »

IA - Catholic
KY - Baptist
SD - Lutheran
NE - Methodist
WA - Protestant
OR - Nondenominational Christian

All I can find
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 08:51:10 PM »

Rick Perry is actually a member of the United Methodist Church, which is technically a mainline denomination. There is no denomination called "Evangelical" - most of the people who this term is applied to are non-denominational Protestants.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:36:24 PM »

I actually have no idea what Jay Inslee's religion is. Most websites seem to list him as a non-denominational Protestant, but I don't know what their source is. I wouldn't be surprised if he were a closet non-religious.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:14:56 PM »

Mike Pence isn't Roman Catholic. He's an Nondenominational Evangelical Christian.

According to wikipedia:
Pence attended Catholic schools in an Irish Catholic family. As a college student he had a spiritual awakening. There, Pence said he met young men and women who talked about having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Congressman Pence describes himself as "a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican, in that order." However, his views on the origin of species are "mixed" and "an open question."

I just thought this meant he is Catholic, unless he converted when he had his spiritual awakening.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 10:21:21 PM »

Rick Perry is actually a member of the United Methodist Church, which is technically a mainline denomination. There is no denomination called "Evangelical" - most of the people who this term is applied to are non-denominational Protestants.

I actually read that about Perry, but apparently he now attends a megachurch.  The same is true for Sean Parnell.
rob in cal
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 11:14:36 PM »

Fascinating how the vast majority of elected officials always seem to have some sort of religious ID, when a cross section of America would certainly have a substantial amount of believers, but also a pretty hefty amount of non believers.  This always reminds me of how Northern Ireland is supposed to be two thirds Protestant and one third Catholic when the rest of Europe is supposed to be virtually non religious.  In other words, in the case of politicians in general and regions defined by a religous divide, how often is it the case that people are just taking a religious label as a form of cultural identifier?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 01:27:57 AM »

Fascinating how the vast majority of elected officials always seem to have some sort of religious ID, when a cross section of America would certainly have a substantial amount of believers, but also a pretty hefty amount of non believers.  This always reminds me of how Northern Ireland is supposed to be two thirds Protestant and one third Catholic when the rest of Europe is supposed to be virtually non religious.  In other words, in the case of politicians in general and regions defined by a religous divide, how often is it the case that people are just taking a religious label as a form of cultural identifier?

I'm sure voters make inferences about it. For example, how would a Democrat running in a blue state on a totally progressive platform do if he was a practicing member of a very conservative denomination (i.e. Southern Baptist, Assemblies of God), even though he kept his religious views completely separate from his political platform? Or conversely, if a Republican in a red state adhered to the Tea Party line on taxes and spending but attended a Unitarian Universalist congregation?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 01:47:27 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2013, 01:55:26 AM by Parks And What You Meant To Me »

I'm sure voters make inferences about it. For example, how would a Democrat running in a blue state on a totally progressive platform do if he was a practicing member of a very conservative denomination (i.e. Southern Baptist, Assemblies of God), even though he kept his religious views completely separate from his political platform? Or conversely, if a Republican in a red state adhered to the Tea Party line on taxes and spending but attended a Unitarian Universalist congregation?

Well considering that the Senate Majority Leader is a Mormon and no one throughs a fuss about Catholic Democrats even though the Roman Catholic Church is certainly not progressive I think it's safe to say it'd be a non-issue for a Democrat. For the Republican it'd depend on the state, but outside the South I have a tough time seeing it being a particularly big deal.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 03:35:34 PM »

According to wikipedia:
Pence attended Catholic schools in an Irish Catholic family. As a college student he had a spiritual awakening. There, Pence said he met young men and women who talked about having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Congressman Pence describes himself as "a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican, in that order." However, his views on the origin of species are "mixed" and "an open question."

I just thought this meant he is Catholic, unless he converted when he had his spiritual awakening.

Which is what he did.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 11:10:35 PM »

My take:
28 Protestant
17 Catholic
3 Jewish
1 Mormon
1 Unknown
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »