What happens on page 11 of this thread? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:19:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What happens on page 11 of this thread? (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of this thread?
freedom thread

horrible thread

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 171

Author Topic: What happens on page 11 of this thread?  (Read 40015 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 09, 2013, 08:18:11 AM »
« edited: February 26, 2022, 12:32:16 AM by Mr. Morden »

What is your opinion of this thread?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 08:18:50 AM »

Just to clarify, I'm talking about this thread:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=170381.0
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 09:36:06 AM »

It's not morning for me!  It's night time here, I'm about to go to bed, and I await all the wonderful replies this thread will get by the time I wake up tomorrow morning.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 04:41:41 PM »

Anyway, with regard to the thread in question, I thought Hagrid and opebo made some OK points in those very short posts they wrote, about halfway down the first page, but the thread didn't really come alive until there was that one picture of Bill and Hillary Clinton from their younger days, just after those posts by Hagrid and opebo.  It was pretty random, but still kind of a lol picture.  Though the post that came after that was kind of a letdown by comparison.

By the way, this is kind of off topic, but here's a funny picture of Bill and Hillary Clinton from their younger days:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 07:28:12 AM »

Last week, we got the first cosmological results from Planck, which support the Lambda Cold Dark Matter model for the universe.  Nothing too shocking, though the Hubble constant is a bit lower than expected, and there's some kind of weird asymmetry across the sky, suggesting that there might be a preferred direction in the universe:

http://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/mpa/institute/news_archives/news1303_aaa/news1303_aaa-en.html

Anyway, with regard to my opinion of this thread, the one thing I forgot to add in my last post was how cheap it was when I resurrected the thread to jump onto the "And now so-and-so supports SSM" thread craze.  He just took individual posts from the thread, and replaced the subject line with "And now such and such supports whatever".  Pretty lame.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 07:29:17 AM »

For example, in this post, I posted a picture of a cardboard bridge, just so I could have another "X supports Y" pun.

http://actu.epfl.ch/news/a-cardboard-bridge-that-supports-297-times-its-own/
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 11:25:04 PM »

In this post I didn't add anything of value; I had only privately giggled to my myself at the thread concept and bumped it in the hopes that it would continue.

Lief said that it gets really good on page 2, so I'm looking forward to that.  Any guesses as to what ends up getting discussed on page 2?  Is there a huge flame war?  Or some deep discussion about some issue or other?  And what might the discussion be about?

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 08:44:47 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2013, 08:47:36 AM by Mr. Morden »

So we've reached page 2.  Lief said that it gets really good starting on page 2, but let me ask you something: Is it possible that we end up purposely making Page 2 bad so that Lief will have bad taste?

I don't know if I want to do that to him, or if it would damage the fabric of the spacetime continuum, for us to use our knowledge of his opinion of Page 2, to purposely make it bad.  Speaking of which, what is your opinion of the Novikov self-consistency principle?  This is an idea related to time travel, suggesting that there is only one timeline and it is immutable.  Even if you go back in time, you can never "change" the past, because whatever you did in the past was always part of history.  It's the time travel logic used, for example, in the movie "Twelve Monkeys".  Also, the Heinlein short story "All You Zombies".  What do you think of it?

Or if you're less interested in that, what is your opinion of the Doomsday Argument: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_argument which suggests that we most likely only have a few centuries left before the end of the human race?

Or alternatively, what is your opinion of the book "Red State, Blue State, Rich State, Poor State" by Andrew Gelman?

What is your opinion of that book?  I can't be the only one who's read it, given the topics discussed on this board.

I'm happy to engage in a discussion on any of those topics, or preferably all three at once.  (Plus anything discussed on Page 1, like Spider-Man.)  I want to do this because I care deeply about Lief, and don't want him to have bad taste.

That's just the way I was raised.  Just like Bushie was raised to believe that others are more important than himself, I was raised to believe that others should have better taste than me.  If you want to call the way I was raised wrong or obsolete, you should, as long as it's in good taste.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 10:21:21 PM »

Why don't you want us to hotlink, BK?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 08:41:23 AM »

So earlier I mentioned the Doomsday Argument.  The idea is that you should reason as if you're a randomly chosen human.

And so, for example, if you were trapped in a cubicle in a giant office building, and you had no idea how many other cubicles there were, except that they were numbered from 1 to N, where N might be either 10 or 10,000,000, would you be able to assess the probability of N being 10 or 10,000,000?  Not with the information I've given you so far.  But what if you knew that the number on your cubicle was 7?  Then you might reason that N is most likely to be 10, since what are the odds that out of 10,000,000 cubicles, your number would be way at the beginning, at number 7?

Well, the Doomsday Argument is that you can do the same thing with birth order.  There have been about 100 billion humans born so far, so how many more will be born in the future?  According to the logic here, it should be about another 100 billion or so.  Or at least, somewhere in the 100s of billions, and not much greater than that.  If it were somewhere in the 100s of trillions for example, then it would be kind of weird that we just happened to be so close to the beginning of the birth ordering.  Since there are many billions of people on Earth now, and will probably continue to be billions for some time to come, we thus might only have a few centuries left in human history.  Hence, "Doomsday Argument".

Why am I fixated on this?

Because I'm wondering if the same logic can be applied to this thread.  I'm sitting here at reply number 41.  Does that mean that we probably have another few tens of replies yet to go on this thread?  Probably more likely than there being hundreds of replies to go.  So cherish the replies yet to come, just like you should cherish the Earth before doomsday.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 09:45:38 PM »

That reminds me of a thread in "Presidential Election Trends" from a couple of years ago.  It was the megathread by nkpatel, where he went on an on about some such nonsense, but it eventually attracted all the other "robot posters", like pbrower2a and Quincy.  Watching pbrower try to have a conversation with nkpatel was......well, not exactly interesting.  The appropriate adjective would probably be "soul deadening".
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 07:48:52 AM »

I dunno, the reasoning behind the Doomsday Argument sounds pretty specious to me.

Well, think of it this way.  Suppose, hypothetically, that a creature from the far future, say billions of years from now, went back in time to the present day and told you that he knew how many humans would eventually be born.  He asked you to guess whether you were one of the first 1% of all humans to be born, or one of the last 1% of all humans born, or one of the 98% in the middle.  If you guess correctly, then you get some huge prize, like $1 million.

Would you guess the middle 98%?  Figuring that, hey, the vast majority of humans ever born at some point in history will be in that middle 98%, so picking that one gives me the best odds?  Or would you say that no, I'm no more likely to be in the first 1% as the middle 98% as the last 1%, so I might as well guess randomly among the three options?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 07:59:34 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2013, 08:07:20 AM by Mr. Morden »

I guess I also said I'd talk about "Red State, Blue State, Rich State, Poor State" in this thread.  Here are some fun graphs from the book, showing how there's a huge divide between rich and poor voters within poor states, but not much of a systematic difference between the two in rich states (data from 2004 election):

Here's the ~4.5 minute synopsis:

http://bloggingheads.tv/videos/1876?in=05:00&out=09:30
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 01:59:46 AM »

OK, important question.  If "Republicans" spelled backwards was a word, how would it be pronounced?  I vote for "SNAS-ill-BOO-per", where "snas" rhymes with "grass".
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 05:17:17 AM »

.gnikniht fo dnik taht rof deriw era sniarb namuh kniht t'nod I ecnis ,krow dluow taht fi erus ton m'I  ?gninnigeb eht hcaer ew litnu sdrawkcab gnikniht eunitnoc neht dna ,esrever ni tuo taht epyt ,yas ot dnetni ew gniht *tsal* eht ,noisulcnoc ruo tuoba kniht yllautca ew taht gnitseggus uoy erA  .noisulcnoc eht sehcaer eno litnu thguoht fo niahc lasuac lacigol a wollof dna ,txet ot ti tup ,thguoht a htiw nigeb dluow eno ,gnitirw lamron nI  ?hcaorppa sdrawkcab siht htiw esopmoc eno seod woh dnA

?sdrawkcab ni gniht elohw eht tup ro ,hpargarap yb hpargarap ,enil yb enil lla ti esrever uoy oD  .krow selur eht woh redisnoc ot evah dluow eno dnA  .krow fo tol a ekil smees ti tub ,taht od dluoc I

P: !nuf eb dluoc sihT ?esrever ni stsop eritne ruo etirw ton yhw ,ti ta era ew elihW
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 06:18:27 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2013, 06:20:22 AM by Mr. Morden »

I just found it.  Here's a link:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=170381.0

EDIT: Actually, wait.  Maybe that's not the right thread.  What board was it on again?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 08:39:42 AM »

I was told it was on the Chad Dicksword of Pennsylvania's 13th Electoral District's Board for Threads about Digging Holes around Your State Representative's Ancestor's Graves in Order to Find Incriminating Evidence Indicating Said Legislator's Grandfather Was Involved in Child Prostitution and Illegally Importing Chestnuts, a child board of the infamous Odd sh**t You Just Made Up That Indicates Your Need for Correctional Action board.

Ah, the old CDP13EDBTDHYSRAGOFIEISLGWICPIIC, a child board of the OSYJMUTIYNCA board.  Shouldn't be too hard to find then, since I don't think the board is all that active.

Though, honestly, I thought it might be this thread:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=172718.0

Since, apparently, if you read that thread, you'll understand Miles's problem.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 05:59:43 PM »

Do what?  Move onto page 4, where something will make Lewis bitter....?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=170381.msg3692544#msg3692544
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 07:43:38 PM »

The difference between this thread and Oklahoma is that I would be sad if this thread didn't exist.

Other than that, they're exactly the same!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »

So we've reached page 2.  Lief said that it gets really good starting on page 2, but let me ask you something: Is it possible that we end up purposely making Page 2 bad so that Lief will have bad taste?
Lief has abominable taste. This is a well established fact.

You're just bitter about what happens on page four.

Page 4 is my favorite.

Despite all the time spent comparing this thread to Oklahoma?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 06:55:37 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2013, 07:03:14 PM by Mr. Morden »

The difference between this thread and Oklahoma is that I would be sad if this thread didn't exist.

Other than that, they're exactly the same!

To follow up on this, let's see how this thread stacks up to Oklahoma:

-Both contain at least 10 or so people.
-Many of those people can't spell.
-They have similar taste in food: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=170381.msg3651595#msg3651595
-Bushie isn't losing weight in either of them.
-They include a similar number of walkable neighborhoods (zero).
-They've both contributed a similar number of electoral votes to Democratic presidential candidates in the last few decades.

Conclusion: This thread is exactly like Oklahoma, with the lone exception being that drj101 would be sad if this thread didn't exit.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 07:01:29 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2013, 07:04:44 PM by Mr. Morden »

Weirdly, it kind of does when it has a thread title as short as "Does this thread make me look fat?"  It's a short enough title that it draws attention to how bulky the I-SC avatar is.  I'd suggest moving to NH or VT, or moving abroad to the UK to emphasize your height.  Or try going with a more slimming color.  I think dark colors make one look thinner, but unfortunately, no black avatars here.  Maybe try being a Republican, since that gives you a dark blue.

Sorry for being so blunt, but you asked!  You're still a lot thinner than I am with my Australia avatar!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »

This is a weird looking surveillance camera:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 02:12:18 PM »

It was never truly gone.  It was always there inside each and every one of us, if only we had thought to look there.  (perhaps in an ultrasound picture)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 05:52:10 AM »

If you were to print out this thread and use it in a paper mache sculpture, what would you make

I would make the cheeseburger on page 1: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=170381.msg3651595#msg3651595

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Because I'm hungry.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies