Opinion of this thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 11:03:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of this thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of this thread  (Read 638 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2013, 01:55:23 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=170277.0

FT, if only showing the full extent of the bastardisation that has happened to the so-called "American Left".  Like civil liberties, what a racist far right neo nazi concept! People who defend right to fair trials must love Hitler!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:19:34 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty sad to see many leftists put personal allegiances to a politician over values. I still think Rand Paul is an idiot and his republican followers are mainly opportunists who actually don't give a sh*t about civil liberties, but they do have a legitimate point here.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 04:22:59 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty sad to see many leftists put personal allegiances to a politician over values. I still think Rand Paul is an idiot and his republican followers are mainly opportunists who actually don't give a sh*t about civil liberties, but they do have a legitimate point here.
You are certainly right about the last sentence-I know many people who last week said they wanted Bush or Newt to be the 2016 nominee now suddenly switch to being Rand Paul supporters.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 04:54:09 PM »

They were obviously too lazy to read what he was talking about (I doubt they watched). Paul said clearly he's not talking about police force used on American soil, he was talking about extrajudicial killings.

Never thought I'd say this, but my opinion of Randy improved significantly.

Also, finally the REAL filibuster. I never thought I see this Grin
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2013, 04:59:33 PM by Lief »

The point Rand was making was paranoid nonsense. There's almost no situation where the federal government would use a drone strike instead of police on the ground to arrest a terrorist in the United States (and in the rare situation where a drone strike would be preferable, everyone would agree that it is and it wouldn't be a problem after the fact). Only in kooky conspiracy theorist land is this even an issue. Paul and his followers just like scaring people.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 05:01:48 PM »

Never thought I'd say this, but my opinion of Randy improved significantly.

^^^^
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 05:11:40 PM »

Let's keep our new love for Rand Paul a secret. Don't want the Tea Party kicking him out so soon.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 05:27:07 PM »

Also, finally the REAL filibuster. I never thought I see this Grin

^^^^^^
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 05:58:32 AM »

Paul may be exaggerating (he probably is), but he's still raising a very important issue, that need to be discussed. Is the U.S. considered a "battlefield" in the war on terror and, if so, what is acceptable and what is not.

I said before I have no problem with the drone strikes on legitimate military targets. A terrorist leader is a walking command center and it doesn't matter what nationality he is. Sure it would be better to capture him and put on trial, but it's not always possible. In some situations, drone strike is less riskily not only for military personnel, but also innocent bystanders. I prefer the process being put under more restrictive rules, but I do not contest the idea. Neither does Paul, who said a dozens of times that individual attacking the U.S. should be dealt with accordingly, whether domestic or foreign. He has his doubts about drones, but admitted he can't make a definitive opinion yet. 

What I have problem is the thing getting out of control. I've never been a Paultard and everybody who knows me here can attest, but I agree with Rand and it's great this filibuster happened
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies