Robert Kennedy/George Meany v.s. Richard Nixon/Spiro Agnew
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:33:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Robert Kennedy/George Meany v.s. Richard Nixon/Spiro Agnew
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Robert Kennedy/George Meany v.s. Richard Nixon/Spiro Agnew  (Read 1962 times)
connally68
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2013, 03:19:33 PM »
« edited: April 18, 2013, 03:21:10 PM by connally68 »

Robert Kennedy is not assassinated. Sirhan Sirhan is shot down by LAPD police officers while waving a gun at Kennedy during a Kennedy rally. Robert Kennedy chooses conservative George Meany, head of the labor union AFL-CIO as his running mate. Kennedy and Meany call for party unity. Pres. Johnson, Vice-Pres. Humphrey, Gov. Connally, and Mayor Daley all endorse the Democratic ticket, universally due to the presence of Meany on the ticket. Wallace withdraws from the race and endorses Kennedy on Labor Day weekend, and LeMay endorses Nixon.
connally68
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 03:20:11 PM »

Maps please.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »

How does Kennedy win the nomination? Humphrey was still well in the lead when it came to delegates, the primaries did not count as much in those days. Does Humphrey choose not to run?
connally68
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 04:07:50 PM »

Humphrey decides to not run. Johnson does not leave the race. Kennedy beats Johnson by 251 delegate votes at the Convention. Kennedy is nominated on the second ballot. He picks Meany to appease the Texas Delegation and the Conservative wing of the party.  The race is mainly between Johnson, Kennedy, and McCarthy.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 09:29:50 PM »

How does Kennedy win the nomination? Humphrey was still well in the lead when it came to delegates, the primaries did not count as much in those days. Does Humphrey choose not to run?
An unsuccessful assassination attempt on the brother of a President who was assassinated could help RFK gain momentum.

This is an interesting scenario. I don't think Wallace would endorse RFK, but Meany could be useful in getting much of his support.

I suspect Nixon would win the states Goldwater carried against LBJ in 1964. So that would be Lousiana, South Carolina, Alabama and Georgia. The remainder of the Wallace states was Arkansas. Nixon finished a close second there with Wallace in the race, so I think he would have won against this ticket.

A few close states would have flipped. I guess Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio, Illinois and Delaware would have gone to Kennedy.

Without Wallace, Maryland and Texas would have gone to Nixon.

Poor Nixon would have lost California to another Kennedy.

But I think in the end he would have won.

My guess...

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies