Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:38:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania  (Read 4774 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 09:12:07 PM »

Michigan is a swing state.  Bush only lost it by 5 points in 2000 and 3 points in 2004.  Obama won it pretty comfortably in 2008 and 2012, but those were Democrat years nationally.  Michigan was considered a swing state in 2004, and only two presidential elections don't change that.  Republicans currently control the governor's office, the attorney general's office (since 2002), and the secretary of state's office (since 1994).

The Republican Governor won in 2010 in the best year in decades for Republicans as a stealth candidate, and he is now wildly unpopular as is the Republican-dominated State Legislature. The Democratic Senator up for re-election won in a landslide in 2012.

Michigan becomes an R state if the Hard Right is able to convince Michiganders that they appreciate freedom from abortion and from high wages, but until then... the Governor is about as unpopular as Commies were in Poland in 1989.
True, but I don't think Snyder will run again.  I don't see any sign or reason he will.  And I would hardly call Stabenow's win a landslide, although it certainly was impressive.  It probably had more to do with Hoekstra's weakness as a candidate than Stabenow being popular. 
As for RTW, wages have already been falling in Michigan without it.    The unions are using scare tactics because they want to keep their monopoly on Michigan's workforce and keep making millions off of their union dues.
Emperor Charles V
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -6.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »

In my TL, here's how Pennsylvania will do in the future:

2016: Christie (R)
2020: Rubio (R)
2024: Rubio (R)
2028: Newsom (D)
2032: Schock (R)
2036: Sandlin (D)
2040: Boller (R)
2044: Boller (R)
2048: Henrie (R)
2052: Perry (D)
2056: Eastman (R)
2060: Eastman (R)
2064: Torrey (R)
2068: Torrey (R)
2072: Caldero (D)
2076: Rothstein (D)

Summary: Tossup, then Lean Republican
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 02:18:36 PM »

To win PA, the GOP will need to become somewhat more competitive in the northeast. Most think of PA as a midwestern state but the Philly area and Lehigh Valley is definitely northeastern. Romney won almost everything west of Chester County with the exception of Allegheny (which judging from the past 20 years is not moving like the rest of western PA. Dems have enough of a base in Pittsburgh to stay on top there. Smaller towns like Erie, Harrisburg have also trended D, even against the areas around them.
 The math is problematic for the GOP, the only way for them is to cut D margins slightly in Philly and do much better in the inner suburbs of Delaware, Bucks, Montgomery. Obama didn't even do as well as Kerry in some and still won the state easy. A candidate like Hillary is a nightmare for the GOP b/c she very likely does better than Obama ever did in western PA and at worst a few points better than Obama 2012. Movement toward the D's there without any significant R swing in Philly area is fatal to any GOP chances. Places like Scranton are logical GOP targets but these voters haven't moved R. Scranton isnt appalachian- the trends sure show.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »

I don't see PA going anywhere anytime soon. Philly is very difficult to tap into and is a bastion for liberals. Pittsburgh is one of the more conservative cities, but I think the GOP has maxed out in western PA. If anything, this state is going to swing further left, like I see Ohio doing, as manufacturing jobs continue to go overseas and the Dems promise to raise tariffs on that.
The actual city of Pittsburgh itself is quite liberal.  It's the surrounding area that balances out some of it. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies