Young Hispanics Leaving Catholic Church for Protestant Faith
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:48:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Young Hispanics Leaving Catholic Church for Protestant Faith
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Young Hispanics Leaving Catholic Church for Protestant Faith  (Read 4912 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2013, 11:48:45 AM »
« edited: February 27, 2013, 12:07:21 PM by All Our Bruised Bodies And The Whole Heart Shrinks »

http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/Politics/young-hispanics-leaving-catholic-church-protestant-faith/story?id=18598257

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well gee, looks like contrary to some things I've been told, people everywhere leave the Catholic church and cease identifying as such, not just in Minnesota and North Dakota. And amongst youngs "CULTURE AND TRADITION OMG" is not a particularly compelling reason for anything.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:01:34 PM »

Oh my, this is awful!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2013, 12:11:16 PM by All Our Bruised Bodies And The Whole Heart Shrinks »

While I understand you wouldn't approve of any church, I think you'd at least consider leaving the Catholic Church an ever so slight improvement. Especially since as noted Hispanic youngs are more likely to hold liberal views on social issues.

But good news for you: Hispanic youngs are far more likely per the same survey to be unaffiliated than the olds and are up to 20% "None".
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:04:08 PM »

Interesting. I wonder what the statistics are for young Hispanics converting to the LDS faith?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 02:09:03 PM »

But good news for you: Hispanic youngs are far more likely per the same survey to be unaffiliated than the olds and are up to 20% "None".

Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 02:50:25 PM »

The survey says the number of Protestant Hispanics by age group are as follows

18-29 29%
30-49 27%
50-64 27%
65+   27%

You can hardly say that a 2% difference really demonstrates any huge movement or trend

The figures for 'None's' are

18-29 20%
30-49 14%
50-64 10%
65+     9%

Such a movement is much more impressive Cheesy
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 04:31:34 PM »

While I understand you wouldn't approve of any church, I think you'd at least consider leaving the Catholic Church an ever so slight improvement. Especially since as noted Hispanic youngs are more likely to hold liberal views on social issues.

Well that's good.  But generally I think of the newfangled (non-Mainline) Protestants as much worse than Catholics.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 04:55:07 PM »

It's probably just them naturally feeling like "wow, I actually have a choice?" And not being blindly devoted to the Catholic Church, which was pretty much the only choice in the countries their parents/grandparents came from.

I guess they're kind of mirroring the Eastern European immigrants and their descendents on this.

I don't think they're becoming more Protestant, just becoming more American.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 07:51:28 PM »

Well that's good.  But generally I think of the newfangled (non-Mainline) Protestants as much worse than Catholics.
Yes, the Hispanics are joining one of the worst "normal" sects, evangelism. I guess it could be worse if they were becoming Mormons or something.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 08:09:56 PM »

Don't forget many of them are joining Pentecostal /Charismatic churches in droves.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 08:24:29 PM »

I really, really want to know why BRTD obsesses over Catholics.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 08:36:10 PM »

Bigotry, largely. As well, racism is a part of it. He's glad to see these immigrants assimilating into his white bread, suburban, hardcore vision for society.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 09:04:32 PM »

Bigotry, largely. As well, racism is a part of it. He's glad to see these immigrants assimilating into his white bread, suburban, hardcore vision for society.

...WTF?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 12:41:20 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2013, 01:27:50 AM by You and I In Unison »

It's not really so much "Catholics" as an attitude a lot of them have, let's call it the "once a Catholic, always a Catholic" line of thinking and that certain people of certain backgrounds are basically always Catholic and would never leave even if they aren't practicing or believing. But plenty of evidence (this being one) proves that not to be the case. The thinking that anyone raised Catholic should always identify as Catholic for life because of "OMG CULTURE AND TRADITION" is kind of the same line of thinking of the BJP in India. And shunning or putting pressure on people who don't want to follow that tradition (which I'm more familiar with personally.)

Did you ever see the video of the Minnesota DFL State Representative speaking against the anti-gay marriage amendment telling about how a lot of members of his family refused to attend his wedding because he was marrying a Protestant in a Protestant church?

Also I belong to a scene/subculture that is pretty anti-Catholic because:

1-Just about everyone in it is anti-religion with the mindsets being:
2-Atheists and general non-believers tend to be pretty vocal about it and don't give a sh!t about "culture" or "tradition", if they don't believe in it, its trash that needs to be abandoned and discarded along with things like patriotism and nationalism and you're not supposed to be associating with any culture besides the "scene" where gender, race and class are all now irrelevant.
3-The Christians who are in it, in addition to putting the same value on culture and tradition are anti-hierarchical and disgusted at the idea that they need a priest or someone to stand between them and God (something touched on a bit in the article.)

Not only does that make no sense, is self-contradictory, and obviously doesn't apply to my vision for society, Catholicism is pretty white bread and suburban too.

It's probably just them naturally feeling like "wow, I actually have a choice?" And not being blindly devoted to the Catholic Church, which was pretty much the only choice in the countries their parents/grandparents came from.

I guess they're kind of mirroring the Eastern European immigrants and their descendents on this.

I don't think they're becoming more Protestant, just becoming more American.

And bingo. I think you touched on my point here. It's not even really about Catholics, it's about people not identifying with things for no reason than accident of birth.

Yes, the Hispanics are joining one of the worst "normal" sects, evangelism. I guess it could be worse if they were becoming Mormons or something.

But the article noted that younger Hispanics are more likely to be liberal.

And I fail to see why belonging to an evangelical church and supporting gay marriage is more hypocritical than supporting gay marriage and belonging to a Catholic church, even if it's assumed all evangelical churches are anti-gay.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 01:28:52 AM »

BRTD, other than your (very specific) subculture, I can't think of many types of Christianity that are less 'whitebread and suburban', treated on a worldwide scale, than Catholicism. (Possibly some of the Oriental Churches.) I understand that German Catholics in the Midwest have those tendencies, certainly.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 01:40:50 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2013, 02:04:24 AM by You and I In Unison »

You mean American suburbs aren't full of Catholic churches? (Also note where Cathcon lives). Or that American Catholics aren't generally "whitebread"? I mean skim through the video to check out the congregation here (which is just the first video I found that had a whole Mass when you type "Catholic Mass" into YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQR0_xoM2Go That's as "whitebread" as it gets (not to mention old).

And what type of people send their kids to Catholic schools? It's obviously not urban hipsters or inner city poors. The Catholic high school in my hometown was also known as a "rich school".
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 02:01:51 AM »

Current middle-class American Catholic culture is a very small geographical slice of a tiny temporal percentage of the Catholic Church's history.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 07:21:02 AM »

You mean American suburbs aren't full of Catholic churches? (Also note where Cathcon lives). Or that American Catholics aren't generally "whitebread"? I mean skim through the video to check out the congregation here (which is just the first video I found that had a whole Mass when you type "Catholic Mass" into YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQR0_xoM2Go That's as "whitebread" as it gets (not to mention old).

And what type of people send their kids to Catholic schools? It's obviously not urban hipsters or inner city poors. The Catholic high school in my hometown was also known as a "rich school".

Catholicism is not limited to the Midwest. Asians and Africans make up a large portion of the Catholic church. Arguably, they make up more of the church than the suburban white bread types because of their relative devotion.
danny
Israel

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 08:24:44 AM »

The survey says the number of Protestant Hispanics by age group are as follows

18-29 29%
30-49 27%
50-64 27%
65+   27%

You can hardly say that a 2% difference really demonstrates any huge movement or trend

The figures for 'None's' are

18-29 20%
30-49 14%
50-64 10%
65+     9%

Such a movement is much more impressive Cheesy

This, the article isn't an accurate reflection of the poll it was based on, which makes all the analysis pointless.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 10:11:34 AM »

The article isn't really incorrect on that, because the growth, while small, still occurred with that surge to "None". If raised Catholic and raised Protestant Hispanics go to "None" at rates similar to their proportion of the whole population, then the 18-29 proportion would drop about 3 points to 24%. The fact that it increases, even if slightly, is evidence of a bunch of conversion that replaces those going to "None".
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 11:10:07 AM »

Why don't you hate Judaism if you're so opposed to insular, "cultural" religions where members are heavily encouraged to remain in the club?
danny
Israel

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »

Why don't you hate Judaism if you're so opposed to insular, "cultural" religions where members are heavily encouraged to remain in the club?

He does.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »

Actually, Hispanic Mormons are pretty culturally and politically moderate. Especially when compared to white Mormons.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 01:35:08 PM »

Horrible phenomenon is horrible.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 04:32:37 PM »

BRTD needs to understand that Minneapolis =/= the world. Or how else would one come to the conclusion that Catholics are more right-wing than white evangelicals?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies