Christie not invited to CPAC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 08:29:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Christie not invited to CPAC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Christie not invited to CPAC  (Read 14422 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2013, 10:45:48 PM »

Maybe I'll boycott this year.  Sad
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2013, 10:56:06 PM »

C.E. Cupps is boycotting, that's reason enough not to go.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2013, 11:13:16 PM »

You mean S.E. Cupp?

I mean, she's bad, but she's doing the right thing in my view. You can be conservative (well, maybe libertarianish with a neocon foreign policy) and gay.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2013, 12:08:34 AM »

No, he hasn't, unless you are stupid and believe his nonsense accounting.

His budgets are among the highest in NJ history.

Budgets tend to grow as populations and inflation does. But for humor's sake, could you enlighten us on what exactly Christie has spent too much on?

Incidentally, budgets tend to grow even when populations and inflation don't grow, and in New Jersey's history, grow far faster than population and inflation.

But specifically, he dumped a sizable sum into the teachers union pension fund when prior Democratic governors did not feel the need to do so.

Why give a cent to those parasitic thugs when Mcgreevey and Codey and Corzine did not? Just just those thugs the middle finger and call it a day.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2013, 12:12:01 AM »

Do these people want to lose 45+ states the next go-around?!

This is madness...absolute madness
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2013, 12:24:23 AM »

Budgets tend to grow as populations and inflation does. But for humor's sake, could you enlighten us on what exactly Christie has spent too much on?
blah blah blah who cares

But specifically, he dumped a sizable sum into the teachers union pension fund when prior Democratic governors did not feel the need to do so.

blah blah blah

Even without the idiotic filler, that's just plain weak, man. But I guess you're right, it's pretty irresponsible for the Governor of a state to ensure that the retirement plans the state promised would be there when teachers retire. What a fiscal lunatic. A real conservative would make sure they go broke and homeless as soon as they're done filling our children with liberal filth and raking in SO much money.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2013, 01:02:43 AM »

Incidentally, budgets tend to grow even when populations and inflation don't grow, and in New Jersey's history, grow far faster than population and inflation.

Why give a cent to those parasitic thugs when Mcgreevey and Codey and Corzine did not? Just just those thugs the middle finger and call it a day.

LOL. Yeah, those teachers sure love Chris Christie.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2013, 01:17:08 AM »

This isn't about Christie being a liberal, or about Christie being a conservative. This is about Republicans being angry that Christie "sided" with President Obama over Mitt Romney when he decided that the well being of his state trumped some dumb election that Romney was going to lose anyway. Oh, and when Christie dared lash out at Republicans for trying to punish him by denying his state disaster aid -- that was apparently the last straw.

Not being invited to CPAC is a badge of honor for Christie, so far as I'm concerned.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2013, 04:13:47 AM »

No serious politician would want to be caught dead in the same building with Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2013, 08:12:23 AM »

Cardenas has now explained the Christie snub by saying that Christie didn't have a "conservative year":

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/the-real-reason-why-chris-christie-wasn-t-invited-to-cpac-20130226

You must be logged in to read this quote.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2013, 09:10:34 AM »

LOL. Yeah, those teachers sure love Chris Christie.

That's precisely the point. No reason to fund the enemy when their friends didn't even bother.

He should have cut the people's tax instead.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2013, 09:11:43 AM »

blah blah blah who cares

blah blah blah

Even without the idiotic filler, that's just plain weak, man. But I guess you're right, it's pretty irresponsible for the Governor of a state to ensure that the retirement plans the state promised would be there when teachers retire. What a fiscal lunatic. A real conservative would make sure they go broke and homeless as soon as they're done filling our children with liberal filth and raking in SO much money.

When did McGreevey, Corzine, Codey become real conservatives? You people, your party, and your unions did this.

There is enough money in the funds to last until Christie leaves office to become President.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2013, 12:04:07 PM »

When did McGreevey, Corzine, Codey become real conservatives? You people, your party, and your unions did this.

There is enough money in the funds to last until Christie leaves office to become President.

Hahaha what people of mine? What party of mine? And what union of mine? Again, I ask, what is fiscally responsible about reneging on your financial commitments? If any person does that, they're viewed as irresponsible. And you're the one who said Corzine and Co. were more conservative than Christie, not me.

This is too fun. Is it wrong to want to watch him squirm? Tongue
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »

Hahaha what people of mine? What party of mine? And what union of mine? Again, I ask, what is fiscally responsible about reneging on your financial commitments? If any person does that, they're viewed as irresponsible. And you're the one who said Corzine and Co. were more conservative than Christie, not me.

Your statement is not accurate, because the Democratic governors reneged on those financial commitments, and the New Jersey Democratic party and their union friends backed them on it.

They weren't viewed as responsible. In fact, they won multiple elections.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2013, 01:02:15 PM »

These guys deserve to lose at this point. They are going to nominate loverboy no substance Marco Rubio and lose again and be all pissed off because their purity test didn't work AGAIN and basically the party keeps screwing up.
I don't think that Rubio will be nominated in 2016 either, as he has expressed support for a watered-down version of the DREAM Act, which alienated the far-right base of the Republican Party. I'm sure that Rick "Frothy" Santorum will win the nomination at this point.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »

Your statement is not accurate, because the Democratic governors reneged on those financial commitments, and the New Jersey Democratic party and their union friends backed them on it.

They weren't viewed as responsible. In fact, they won multiple elections.

YOU said not funding it was conservative, not me or anyone else. Care to respond to anything I've said, or are you that incapable?
Gamecock
Rookie
United States

« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2013, 03:18:39 PM »

You mean S.E. Cupp?

I mean, she's bad, but she's doing the right thing in my view. You can be conservative (well, maybe libertarianish with a neocon foreign policy) and gay.

That little bitch isn't going?

Hah, maybe CPAC 2013 can be saved afterall.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2013, 11:36:52 PM »

This is silly and you know it. No one on the right considers Romney a conservative. Would Karl Marx be allowed onstage as long as he read verbatim from one of Reagan's speeches?

Quite a few people believe that Romney's position changes were legitimate.  Look - I'm all in favor of making the party more moderate - I'd like to see Christie speak there.  But the fact is that he is more moderate than Romney.

No he's not and you know it. Look at his record. He vetoed a minimum-wage increase. He's clashed with public-sector unions. He's cut the budget in REAL DOLLARS. This man is a conservative. He's just not crazy.He doesn't say outrageously untrue things. To put it bluntly, he's not stupid like so-called "conservatives" like Ted Cruz, Sarah Palin, and Allen West.

He's not pro-life (although I wouldn't call him pro-choice, but he's not as pro-life as Romney became).  He encouraged passage of a Hurricane relief bill with pork.  He's pro civil-union.  He's supported increased funding to NIH.  He's not a pro-2nd Amendment governor.  And he's a big green energy guy.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2013, 12:21:01 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2013, 12:23:10 AM by BluegrassBlueVote »

He encouraged passage of a Hurricane relief bill with pork.

I'll give you the rest (although surely you winced while typing "Romney became"), but I really hope this was a joke.

Now try and find things suitably conservative about Romney from pre-2008. You'd have to do some quality digging. Blue state governors, sir.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2013, 12:38:11 AM »

He's not pro-life (although I wouldn't call him pro-choice, but he's not as pro-life as Romney became).

I thought he was pro-choice in the 1990s, but has since become pro-life, with exceptions for rape, incest, and life of the mother, no?  Many, many pro-lifers favor those exceptions, but would still be called pro-life by any reasonable definition.  Heck, nearly every (every?) GOP presidential nominee from the past 30 years has favored those exceptions.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2013, 12:52:21 AM »

He's not pro-life (although I wouldn't call him pro-choice, but he's not as pro-life as Romney became).

I thought he was pro-choice in the 1990s, but has since become pro-life, with exceptions for rape, incest, and life of the mother, no?  Many, many pro-lifers favor those exceptions, but would still be called pro-life by any reasonable definition.  Heck, nearly every (every?) GOP presidential nominee from the past 30 years has favored those exceptions.

That may be the case; if it is, then I was unaware of that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2013, 12:55:29 AM »

He encouraged passage of a Hurricane relief bill with pork.

I'll give you the rest (although surely you winced while typing "Romney became"), but I really hope this was a joke.

Now try and find things suitably conservative about Romney from pre-2008. You'd have to do some quality digging. Blue state governors, sir.

I don't recall Romney being invited to CPAC when he was a Governor... that's my point.

And wile relief for Sandy was a good thing, the original bill, the bill that Christie blasted Republicans for not passing, was filled with a fair amount of wasteful spending.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2013, 01:24:39 AM »

And my entire point is that Romney isn't actually more ideologically conservative than he was as governor. I don't care what he was tortured into saying during the primaries, and the base immediately reverted to deriding him as a phony after the election. I don't really understand his invite.

All relief bills are filled with pork... that's how they get through Congress with legislators that are far removed from the action. Remember how Steve King voted against Katrina aid but was kicking and screaming for New York funding? Regardless, it's inane to criticize a governor for wanting emergency aid for his state as fast as possible. That's a product of geography, not anything ideological.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2013, 01:30:28 AM »

And my entire point is that Romney isn't actually more ideologically conservative than he was as governor. I don't care what he was tortured into saying during the primaries, and the base immediately reverted to deriding him as a phony after the election. I don't really understand his invite.

All relief bills are filled with pork... that's how they get through Congress with legislators that are far removed from the action. Remember how Steve King voted against Katrina aid but was kicking and screaming for New York funding? Regardless, it's inane to criticize a governor for wanting emergency aid for his state as fast as possible. That's a product of geography, not anything ideological.

I do think Romney genuinely became more conservative on some issues (abortion), and others weren't relevant to the conservative cause.  Christie's problem is that he's moderate where it matters, and when the big issue is cutting spending, it doesn't matter if he has a good reason for wanting the bill to pass--pork is pork.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2013, 03:21:48 AM »

Christie doesn't get an invite, but Stephen Harper does:

http://conservative.org/news/acu-announces-second-round-of-speakers-invited-to-cpac-2013/

I wonder on what issues Harper is to the right of Christie.  I guess you could say that Harper is farther right of center by the standards of Canada than Christie is by the standards of the USA.  But then, shouldn't Christie get some slack for being more conservative by the standards of New Jersey?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies