Italy 2013 official results thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:25:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italy 2013 official results thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 34
Author Topic: Italy 2013 official results thread  (Read 91192 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: February 26, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »

I think the likeliest option here is that without Grillo's blessing some M5S Senators back a leftist coalition anyway and, Bersani manages to form some kind of monster with Monti and a minority of M5S Senators which lasts until 2014-16 and then collapses. Which would then usher in another, final Berlusconi term.

In 2016? When Berlusconi is 79?

It wouldn't surprise me. I personally think he will lead PdL until he is too sick or dies.

Indeed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #626 on: February 26, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »

BTW, with more votes coming in Maroni's lead is now slightly below 5 points. Zingaretti and Frattura still cruising (the latter even more so, interestingly). Slight consolation...
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #627 on: February 26, 2013, 05:17:07 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2013, 06:28:13 PM by Franknburger »

Camera votes from Finland are hilarious:

MOVIMENTO 5 STELLE       232   27,39   
PARTITO DEMOCRATICO      228   26,91   
CON MONTI PER L'ITALIA      158   18,65   
SINISTRA ECOLOGIA LIBERTA'   77   9,09   
RIVOLUZIONE CIVILE      59   6,96   
IL POPOLO DELLA LIBERTA'   51   6,02   

What's that "Partito Comunista" which seems to be interestingly high in European countries like Finland and Sweden? In votes from senate Berlusconi is behind Rivoluzione Civile Cheesy

Grillo is also in front in Denmark and the Czech Republic (in Denmark Berlusconi barely beat SEL). This is a bit like "spot the Italian students abroad".

In Germany, OTOH, bankers and pizzeria owners almost tie, crowding out the students:

CON MONTI PER L'ITALIA            35.328                28,01
PARTITO DEMOCRATICO             33.292                26,40
IL POPOLO DELLA LIBERTA'         30.816                24,43
MOVIMENTO 5 STELLE                13.928                11,04
RIVOLUZIONE CIVILE                   5.066                  4,01
SINISTRA ECOLOGIA LIBERTA'      3.102                  2,45
ASS. ITALIANI ALL'ESTERO           2.337                  1,85
PARTITO COMUNISTA                   1.335                  1,05
FERMARE IL DECLINO                     902                   0,71

I really liked the CV of the PD candidate - did she make it?  

On a side note, since we haven't talked football for a while Cool:

Barca just lost to Real 1:3 (2 Ronaldo goals).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #628 on: February 26, 2013, 05:20:40 PM »

That Football talk is in the Off Topic thread since it isn't related at all to this election. Wink
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #629 on: February 26, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »

That Football talk is in the Off Topic thread since it isn't related at all to this election. Wink

Thanks for reminding me Cool
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #630 on: February 26, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »

Bersani will declare that this is a short-term government;the president of the Camera will be a M5S member,whereas they will not oppose any decent nominee for the President of the Republic.
The main laws will be those against corruption at all levels,and some other ethics-based laws on which PD and M5S agree. If they say no,they'll lose any credibility.

If the financial markets don't collapse,PD will be able to survive until October without having to  introduce new taxes,and thus will not take any fire from PdL(which will become even more populist in these months,since it will not have to take part in any legislative activity).

One of the main reforms will be the electoral reform,which will be done with M5S and Monti.
Then,in the fall,new elections,with Renzi as the candidate and the whole of the old guard gone. Electoral campaign based on publicizing in a better way (the "Renzi way",more media-friendly) proposals such as lowering taxes on firms.

This is what I think and hope will happen in the next few months.
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #631 on: February 26, 2013, 06:00:58 PM »

Ambrosoli actually did well in cities. He carried Milan, Monza, Cremona, Lecco, Lodi, Bergamo, Brescia, even Sondrio, basically a tie in Como. He was behind just in Varese.
But the "province" was dominated by Maroni.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #632 on: February 26, 2013, 06:07:53 PM »

Yeah, I thought I saw that Bersani was going to make an M5S member the Camera President. Then I tried to convince myself that I was misreading. I know you all will say "BETTER A GRILLO CLOWN THAN A PDL ONE!!!" but there has to be a sense of embarrassment that this is "necessary."
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #633 on: February 26, 2013, 06:12:59 PM »

Bersani will declare that this is a short-term government;the president of the Camera will be a M5S member,whereas they will not oppose any decent nominee for the President of the Republic.
The main laws will be those against corruption at all levels,and some other ethics-based laws on which PD and M5S agree. If they say no,they'll lose any credibility.

If the financial markets don't collapse,PD will be able to survive until October without having to  introduce new taxes,and thus will not take any fire from PdL(which will become even more populist in these months,since it will not have to take part in any legislative activity).

One of the main reforms will be the electoral reform,which will be done with M5S and Monti.
Then,in the fall,new elections,with Renzi as the candidate and the whole of the old guard gone. Electoral campaign based on publicizing in a better way (the "Renzi way",more media-friendly) proposals such as lowering taxes on firms.

This sounds like a reasonable and feasible strategy to get out of the deadlock.

Unfortunately, however, there have been reports today that the "Troika", on their current regular monitoring mission to Greece, have found little progress and much "business as usual". My guess is that this will first of all mean there is now going to be hard action on Greece, probably even postponing or cancelling the next payment, in order to send a signal to markets and Italy alike.
However, Italy will most likely not remain untouched.

Germany will switch into "election mode" by mid-/ late June, and the Euro-sceptics here are primarily found within Merkel's base, not so much among the red-green voters. This means substantial pressure on Italy to come up with some kind of reform (stricter anti-corruption legislation is anything but a bad idea here) until June. Afterwards, you will be pretty much left on your own to convince financial markets, with not much help to be expected from Germany and the European Central Bank, respectively.

Probably, its also a good idea to hold the next elections already in September, when world attention is focusing on the German election. This would give Italy a little more time to sort out the way ahead, while Germany (and Austria) are doing the same.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #634 on: February 26, 2013, 06:15:19 PM »

Have Bersani/PD said anything about electoral reform, specifically getting rid of the idiotic bonus thing?
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #635 on: February 26, 2013, 06:39:44 PM »

If the financial markets don't collapse,PD will be able to survive until October without having to  introduce new taxes,and thus will not take any fire from PdL(which will become even more populist in these months,since it will not have to take part in any legislative activity).

This sounds like a reasonable and feasible strategy to get out of the deadlock.

Unfortunately, however, there have been reports today that the "Troika", on their current regular monitoring mission to Greece, have found little progress and much "business as usual". My guess is that this will first of all mean there is now going to be hard action on Greece, probably even postponing or cancelling the next payment, in order to send a signal to markets and Italy alike.
However, Italy will most likely not remain untouched.

Germany will switch into "election mode" by mid-/ late June, and the Euro-sceptics here are primarily found within Merkel's base, not so much among the red-green voters. This means substantial pressure on Italy to come up with some kind of reform (stricter anti-corruption legislation is anything but a bad idea here) until June. Afterwards, you will be pretty much left on your own to convince financial markets, with not much help to be expected from Germany and the European Central Bank, respectively.

Probably, its also a good idea to hold the next elections already in September, when world attention is focusing on the German election. This would give Italy a little more time to sort out the way ahead, while Germany (and Austria) are doing the same.

Yes,elections in Germany might hold a crucial role in the scenario I described.
What I hope is that declaring from the beginning that this is a short-term government,with the only aim to introduce laws on corruption and such,and to make no changes on reforms such as the one on pensions,will calm down financial markets.
A worsening of the situation in Greece and/or idiotic statements from German CDU politicians might well screw PD.
Yesterday and today they obviously lost their head...like any honest italian,tbf.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #636 on: February 26, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »

Would you have considered in On Topic if it had been about Italian football?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #637 on: February 26, 2013, 06:57:50 PM »

Would you have considered in On Topic if it had been about Italian football?

...we discussed the (small) impact the Italian game had here. Of course, people threw a fit but those are the same people that shouted at some of us for suggesting a Silvio surge so...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #638 on: February 26, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »

Grillo seemed somewhat more conciliatory than usual, and he didn't rule out propping up Bersani's proposals on a case-by-case basis. He also mentioned Dario Fo' as a potential candidate for President. Tongue

In other news, spread bounced from 287 to 345 today...

I really hope you're right, but this definitely seems too good to be true.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #639 on: February 26, 2013, 07:07:07 PM »

What I hope is that declaring from the beginning that this is a short-term government,with the only aim to introduce laws on corruption and such,and to make no changes on reforms such as the one on pensions,will calm down financial markets.
A worsening of the situation in Greece and/or idiotic statements from German CDU politicians might well screw PD.
Yesterday and today they obviously lost their head...like any honest italian,tbf.

The first thing you need to do is changing the narrative from "Italy goes chaos" (.."as they always do") to "Italy wants fundamental reform". My take is that Bersani is just trying to do this (props to him). Now we will see whether Grillo (who should have a feeling for building narratives) can act responsibly and joins in.

As concerns the sometimes not so helpful comments of my fellow countrymen, its especially the CSU to watch out for, as they are facing the eurosceptic "Freie Wähler" in the Bavarian state election upcoming this September.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #640 on: February 26, 2013, 07:38:51 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2013, 07:40:22 PM by Franknburger »

Btw: The Italian-German political dependency is reciprocal. Trittin, the leader of the German Greens, has over the last years been the most vociferous advocate of strong German engagement in the Eurozone and German solidarity with struggling EU partners. FDP leader Rösler, OTOH, has for some time tried to reposition his party among the Euro-sceptics (trying to find a replacement for the 'tax reduction' argument that had carried the FDP to historically unprecedented vote shares before they miserably failed to deliver), until the party's 'grey eminencies' (Genscher etc.) told him to shut down.

As such, Italy's political development over the coming months will also have a significant influence on the outcome of the German election.
ERvND
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #641 on: February 26, 2013, 07:40:44 PM »

Maybe it's already been discussed - it's a long tread - but why have the opinion polls been so bad (again)? The last polls, including the illegal "horse polls", predicted IBC winning by ca. 5%. Exit polls predicted the same. After all, they end up with a 0.3% lead.

What's going on here?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #642 on: February 26, 2013, 07:56:50 PM »

Maybe it's already been discussed - it's a long tread - but why have the opinion polls been so bad (again)? The last polls, including the illegal "horse polls", predicted IBC winning by ca. 5%. Exit polls predicted the same. After all, they end up with a 0.3% lead.

What's going on here?

A combination of a shy Silvio effect and 5-starers being too young/too unengaged to care for responding to pollsters.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #643 on: February 26, 2013, 08:00:19 PM »

What's going on here?

Shy Silvo Effect

Most of his critics will be shouting about a comfortable win, "Silvio is totally finished. No doubt about it," etc. next time around, too. Some people never learn their lesson.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #644 on: February 26, 2013, 08:17:02 PM »

What's going on here?

A combination of a shy Silvio effect and 5-starers being too young/too unengaged to care for responding to pollsters.

Actually, Silvio was polled just right (29.4 poll average vs. 29.1 actual). Pollsters overestimated Bersani and Monti (plus a few smaller parties), and vastly underestimated Grillo.

I am quite sure that one factor is cell-only voters. i.e. the urban youth, which seems to have gone massively for Grillo. Females may be another group - especially the classical late-deciding low-info supermarket cashier / nurse / waitress type, who may in the past have supported Berlusconi but probably this time as well swung to Grillo (still waiting to see any demographic analysis).
Still, Italian pollsters may probably also need to review their sampling approach and add some more depth to their interviews which - judged by what has been published - focus mostly on horse-race top numbers but care little for underlying electoral moods and trends.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #645 on: February 26, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »

Yeah, Berlusconi did NOT overperform compared to the last polls/exit polls. Grillo did.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #646 on: February 26, 2013, 08:28:54 PM »

We're talking about a new Parliament with M5S as a major player. Do people really expect whatever government that emerges to last more than a year?

Fun fact: Bersani, Berlusconi, and Monti's best provinces are all adjacent: Bolzano, Sondrio, and Trento, respectively.

Another fun fact: this is the first election Silvio has lost as the challenger.

Not sure that is true.  In 1996 Silvio was the challenger as well.  He was in power as a result of 1994 elections but was out in late 1994 when Northern League broke with Silvio, so when Silvio Froza Italy ran in 1996 they were the challenger.  I rememeber this well because I was in Italy for vacation that winter during one of my college winer breaks.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #647 on: February 26, 2013, 08:32:55 PM »

Have Bersani/PD said anything about electoral reform, specifically getting rid of the idiotic bonus thing?

Not sure that is the solution.  Because if bonus is idiotic, then that should apply to both the Senate and the Chamber.  And without the 54% bonus logic in place for the Chamber then these election results will still throw up a hung Chamber with no chance of majority.  The problem here is not any issue with bonus but almost 55% of the electorate voted against (stupidly in my view) the current austarity policies.  This is one of the many cases where the people voted wrong but there you have it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #648 on: February 26, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »

If you ditched the bonus Bersani would have less than 150 Camera seats, judging by the other parties' standings. So I definitely favour keeping it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #649 on: February 26, 2013, 08:36:48 PM »

I believe Silvio's average was around 27-28%. Not much of a difference but it isn't this 29.4% that keeps being spouted (probably trying to create a silly narrative that he under performed).

Whatever the case - Silvio over performing or the center-left being itself - the polls continue to get it wrong.

We're talking about a new Parliament with M5S as a major player. Do people really expect whatever government that emerges to last more than a year?

Fun fact: Bersani, Berlusconi, and Monti's best provinces are all adjacent: Bolzano, Sondrio, and Trento, respectively.

Another fun fact: this is the first election Silvio has lost as the challenger.

Not sure that is true.  In 1996 Silvio was the challenger as well.  He was in power as a result of 1994 elections but was out in late 1994 when Northern League broke with Silvio, so when Silvio Froza Italy ran in 1996 they were the challenger.  I rememeber this well because I was in Italy for vacation that winter during one of my college winer breaks.

Ah, yes, that's right. I keep forgetting he had to resign in 1994.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies