Whatever happened to Geraldine Ferraro?

(1/4) > >>

scorpiogurl:
What is Geraldine Ferraro doing these days? Is she still involved in politics?

Does anyone think that the choice of a woman as Vice Presidential candidate in 1984 adversely affected the result for Mondale......or would Mondale have lost by a landslide with a male vice presidential candidate too?

PBrunsel:
She ran for Senate in 1992, lost the Democratic Primary, and now is a Fox News Contributor.

A18:
Mondale would have lost by a landslide with George Washington as a vice presidential candidate.

dazzleman:
I don't think Ferraro helped or hurt Mondale's chances in 1984.

Having said that, I think the manner in which she was selected reinforced negative stereotypes about the Democrats.  Feminist groups publicly threatened Mondale that they wouldn't support him unless he picked a woman as his VP candidate.  Mondale was reportedly furious because he had already planned to pick a woman, and now because of their public threats it appeared that he was giving in to blackmail from a special interest group.

The problem with Ferraro was that she was picked only because she was a woman.  A male three-term congressman from a New York City borough would never have been considered, and everybody knew it.

Mondale had little to lose by rolling the dice and picking a woman for his VP candidate, but he didn't end up gaining anything either.  I find it surprising that a woman hasn't been picked in the 20 years since Ferraro.

Joe Republic:
According to the bible that is Wikipedia, Ferraro published an autobiography in 1985, unsuccessfully ran for Senate in 1992 (as PBrunsel mentioned before), was a cohost on Crossfire from 1996-98, and currently serves as president of a management consulting firm.  She was diagnosed with a form of blood cancer in 1998.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page