Bob Woodward: Dem Senators Have Called WH Asking if Hagel Will Withdraw
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:10:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bob Woodward: Dem Senators Have Called WH Asking if Hagel Will Withdraw
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Bob Woodward: Dem Senators Have Called WH Asking if Hagel Will Withdraw  (Read 6083 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 08:52:53 PM »

Eh, no one likes a turncoat.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »

I am very conflicted on the nomination personally...an enlisted man from my war is a rare pick for a post like this, but is this the man?

If I were a US Senator- I would vote to confirm him despite some reservations...partially as a gesture considering the repugnant questioning he's been facing from chickenhawks like Cruz and Chambliss
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 10:08:36 PM »

There are countless qualified likable people who share Obama's views on foreign policy. Almost all are Dems, but he chose Hagel. He was obviously trying to make a point in choosing a Republican.

Chuck Hagel, in particular, has been known for his foreign policy being completely not the GOP of this time. One of the first Republicans to stand up and say the Iraq War is going in the wrong direction, and has basically been ousted by Republican circles for a long time ANYWAYS. Unless he's naive, I doubt Obama picked him because it would be a "bipartisan" pick.

I mean, unless Obama thought that Republicans were over the Bush foreign policy, which is incredibly, unbelievably, unfortunately naive.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 10:14:05 PM »

If Hagel is withdrawn for whatever reason, I hope Obama puts up someone who is even more anti-war and anti-Israel. This battle cannot be lost!
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 10:14:41 PM »

I am very conflicted on the nomination personally...an enlisted man from my war is a rare pick for a post like this, but is this the man?

If I were a US Senator- I would vote to confirm him despite some reservations...partially as a gesture considering the repugnant questioning he's been facing from chickenhawks like Cruz and Chambliss

What are your reservations?
wan
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 10:35:35 PM »

Intrade has him being confirmed 95 percent...
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2013, 10:56:58 PM »

I am concerned over his views on Israel and Iran as well as his performance at the hearing, especially his refusal to give McCain and answer regarding the surge...his views on Irael and Iran do not reflect my world view and I do not believe having a SECDEF who- in my view- wants to make distance from our allies while giving lip service to our enemies will make us any safer...his views on the surge reflect poor judgment I believe

Where I differ from folks like Cruz is that I do not believe Hagel wants us to be less safe or less strong...I simply question his judgment
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2013, 11:12:23 PM »

If Obama withdraws his nomination, his entire second term will be an utter failure.  If he can't get his SoD confirmed, how will he get any gun law passed?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 12:48:31 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2013, 02:24:01 AM by shua »

I doubt the White House anticipated Hagel's poor Senate confirmation hearing performance either.
Hagel performed terribly because the administration instructed him to lay low on the antagonistic questions.  When Hagel was given substantive questions, he performed fine.

Pretty weak excuse. Be prepared, know everything that you said before, and speak calmly and candidly, and admit when you made mistakes, or have changed your mind, and explain why. It's not hard really. I doubt the White House instructed him to be "unfocused" for example per the article. I admit I did not watch the hearings, so my comments are all derivative.

The Pubs might really privately want Hagel to be Secretary, because they think he will be ineffective, and a punching bag. And that might be privately what the Dems are worried about, some of them. It is an interesting dynamic.

Sure, he should have done better and given straight answers. But you have to admit, he was damned if he did or don't.   Hagel's 2006 "Jewish lobby" comment was, admittedly an extremely dumb excessive hyperbole.  but if he tried to fully explain himself, and get into a debate about whether Israel having it's capital in Jerusalem should be a cornerstone of US foreign policy, he might have lost some Democratic votes.  And when you have Republican Senators basically accusing you of treason for having the same position on Iran and on nukes as Dick Lugar . . . how do you reply to that? 
The one time Hagel did his best in standing his ground was when he defended his "slaughter" comments, and asserted that the life of an innocent Arab civilian was morally equivalent to the life of an Israeli civilian.  Mike Lee, bless his heart, while he's great on civil liberties for Americans, couldn't wrap his head around this basic principle of universal human rights.
Anyone who knows Chuck Hagel knows he's hardly a pushover and will tell you what you don't want to hear.  If you only know him from the hearings, you've just seen him do his best impression of a doormat. It's not a role that suits him.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2013, 02:42:22 AM »

John McCain admitted yesterday that even though he would vote no, Hagel will be easily confirmed.
Torie's concern trolling during the last month has reached Fox News levels. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2013, 09:11:51 AM »

Yes, he's a Republican, but it's not like President Romney appointing Joe Lieberman would get the deference of Senate Dems.

(Well, he probably would, knowing how Senate Dems are. But the base would be pissed.)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 06:50:59 PM »

Obama would be better served rolling without a Secretary in protest than to give into the will of the crazed minority.

King, the Dems are calling, although they are crazed as well.

The Dems are calling to ask if he is going to withdraw, not demanded that he do so. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 08:43:23 AM »

Obama would be better served rolling without a Secretary in protest than to give into the will of the crazed minority.

King, the Dems are calling, although they are crazed as well.

The Dems are calling to ask if he is going to withdraw, not demanded that he do so. 

I'm betting a more than few wished he would.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 09:00:19 AM »

There's really little hope for America if a conservative nominee like Hagel can't even get past the obstructionist GOP.

Might as well just throw in the towel and let them rule as they see fit? Democracy apparently doesn't mean a whole lot to them.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 09:53:54 AM »

I am concerned over his views on Israel and Iran as well as his performance at the hearing, especially his refusal to give McCain and answer regarding the surge...his views on Irael and Iran do not reflect my world view and I do not believe having a SECDEF who- in my view- wants to make distance from our allies while giving lip service to our enemies will make us any safer...his views on the surge reflect poor judgment I believe

Where I differ from folks like Cruz is that I do not believe Hagel wants us to be less safe or less strong...I simply question his judgment
Same here, I don't question whether or not Hagel wants to do the best thing, as he sees it, for America, I do question his judgement on Israel and Iran. Why should we distance ourselves from our only true ally in the Middle East, while kissing up to, quite possibly, the regime that wants to destroy the United States, the most?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 10:26:43 AM »

If Obama withdraws Hagel now he may very well resign. That would be cutting his own throat less than a month into his second term.

This is the situation where White House must draw a line a stick on position. Otherwise Obama is going to get f**ked on everything for the next four years.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies