TJ's Result Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:51:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  TJ's Result Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TJ's Result Thread  (Read 8042 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« on: June 02, 2013, 09:30:40 PM »

I'm not sure what if anything else I'm going to do with this thread but I wanted somewhere to post this map of Madison, WI by ward with 2012 presidential results (by 2-party Obama vote):

Obama won every ward. His strongest areas were the eastern end of the isthmus and near east side.

Romney's best area was the Far West Side and to a lesser extent the Far East Side and campus. Interestingly, Madison is liberal enough that the campus area is relatively one of the more Republican parts of town. There were three wards where Obama was under 60%: two on the far west side and one on campus (and as far as I can tell the one on campus has only dorm buildings as far as residential buildings are concerned).

Do you have precinct result data from Milwaukee County, or Waukesha County, both of those would be very interesting, also the reason the eastern side is more democratic is because more native Madison people live there instead of Campus kids, on top of that there is more minority vote overall, even though Madison is a white city.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thank you so much for this stuff, really appreciate it. The part just north of Fitchburg has the most Hispanics, but there's also a lot of Hispanics just east of Maple Bluff that I was talking about so thanks for pointing that out. What's ironic about Madison is the Isthmus right between the two lakes is the most liberal part of the city, and quite possibly the most white.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:19:18 PM »

Do you have precinct result data from Milwaukee County, or Waukesha County...

First of all, welcome to the forum! Smiley

I don't have a map of either on hand, but here are the tabulated results for Milwaukee County and Waukesha County. If you want a quick and easy way to look at the political demography, Dave's Redistricting App has 2008 presidential data for Wisconsin.

...also the reason the eastern side is more democratic is because more native Madison people live there instead of Campus kids, on top of that there is more minority vote overall, even though Madison is a white city.

This is part of it certainly, except I don't think the minority populations make much difference in the vote totals on the east side. The south side is the area of Madison where the minority vote is most influential. Part of the east-west difference is class-based with the traditionally white collar parts of Madison on the west side and working class neighborhoods on the east side. The east side, particularly on the isthmus and just east of it has a sort of progressive scene atmosphere. The Willy Street area, for instance, is one of the few overwhelmingly white neighborhoods in this part of the country where you'll find where Obama had ~93-94% of the two party vote in 2012.

I think you hit the nail on the head about the west side having more people who aren't originally from Madison living there. The west side has a lot of development in the city that is quite suburban and full of transplants. Of course since it's Madison suburban development, it can mostly be expect to be around 65% D, but that's lower than almost all of Madison. Right now I live on the far west side, and ironically where I live now is more Republican than where I lived before (Cleveland Heights, Ohio). In a few months, I'll be moving over to the east side though, which certainly won't be...  Wink

Thanks, I actually use Dave's App 2.2 all the time but I just wish I could find that kind of thing for 2012. Also thanks for explaining a little more on Madison, since you live in Madison you ought to know more...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies