Los Angeles County Racial/Ethnic Breakdown 1940-2000 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:38:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Los Angeles County Racial/Ethnic Breakdown 1940-2000 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Los Angeles County Racial/Ethnic Breakdown 1940-2000  (Read 22282 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: February 07, 2013, 12:17:28 PM »

this is a map of the racial breakdown of the LA county census tracts from 1940 through 2000. I'm also in the process of making one for the 2010 census too, FWIW.

Do you have any data on non-Mexican Hispanics?  Are there Salvadoran or Peruvian, etc. areas?

I am sure there are concentrations of Peruvians and Salvadorans in some areas, but even those areas will be majority Mexican among the Hispanic population.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 05:36:48 PM »

According to those maps Los Angeles has never had any non-Anglo, non-Hispanic whites?
WTF?

Anglo is just a quick term to describe non-hispanic whites. Not completely accurate, because even if you consider assimilated Irish and Italians to be anglo, Armenians are classified in the same way.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 10:13:06 PM »

here's one question:
does anyone know if certain areas have a predisposition to white flight. It seems that looking at the map, the areas in LA that have experienced white flight are all in the areas you'd expect, but only in hindsight.

Can you expand a little more? What areas did you "expect" white flight to happen? I think a lot of it has to do with class and real estate prices.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 11:15:06 PM »

Yes, the "gateway cities" have seen a lot of white flight with anglos (NHW whatever) moving out and Hispanics moving in. A lot of those people have actually just moved out of California. Fair amount of white flight in the San gabriel valley too, no?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 08:46:10 PM »

According to those maps Los Angeles has never had any non-Anglo, non-Hispanic whites?
WTF?

Anglo is just a quick term to describe non-hispanic whites. Not completely accurate, because even if you consider assimilated Irish and Italians to be anglo, Armenians are classified in the same way.

Not completely accurate?
Are you even serious?
It's totally inaccurate.

Calm down.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 12:15:25 AM »

"Anglo" here is a term of art here, just like WASP. I am a WASP, while atheist (I do happen to be Anglo, but some WASPS are not even that - they're German or whatever). Language is complicated. Who knew?

It beats being a non-person of color.

The real reason to use the term "Anglo" is to differentiate between whites of Hispanic descent and other whites. At least in the context of Southern California.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies