47,076 people... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:42:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  47,076 people... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 47,076 people...  (Read 5341 times)
CountryClassSF

« on: February 07, 2013, 01:30:10 AM »
« edited: February 07, 2013, 01:50:40 AM by CountryClassSF »

Well, all the stereotyping is truly flattering, but unfortunately, I am  not rich.  Not old either. Not very religious.

Precinct results are available on sfelections.org, but unfortunately not a map by precinct this time.  I can tell you that some of Romney's best precincts were in the Marina and worst in the Haight.  You can match the precinct data with the  precinct numbers on the precinct map which is also available on the site.

I would say that on a personal level, I'm a very conservative person and I live in the most liberal city on the galaxy. Some people have to live where they do because they go to school or go to work in that area, some people enjoy the fog & the mild weather.  
CountryClassSF

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 05:16:47 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2013, 05:18:45 PM by CountryClassSF »

Tell us more what you know about the (relatively) Romney supoortive areas and GOP/conservative voters in Frisco, man. Please?

One thing many people may be surprised of, is like elsewhere around the country, conservative or Republican positions on ballot initiatives and certain ideas outperform the Republican candidates carrying the label on the ballot.  One may conclude that there are certain "turn offs" to the Republican brand, but not necessarily the conservative idea.

A good example of this would be Prop 8 - 2008's initiative protecting  traditional marriage.

Yes on 8 received 25% of the vote in San Francisco, far outnumbering John McCain's 13% or so vote totals.

An image  retrieved o the San Francisco Chronicle (http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Some-areas-of-S-F-voted-to-ban-same-sex-marriage-3261879.php#photo-2411324) from Nov. 2008 after the election:

The precincts that voted in favor of Prop 8 were in Chinatown/North Beach, the Financial District and some parts of SOMA around Market St near Union Square, Bayview (Higher African-American population than the rest of the city), and a handful of precincts around the Sunset (heavily Asian) and Lake Merced.

As you can see, some of the precincts that voted No on 8 in the Sunset had a much higher percentage of "Yes" voters than the remainder of the city.  Even the gay-dominated Castro district had precincts register atleast 3% of the vote in favor of traditional marriage.

This is a good map that is less about D vs R -- with the notable exception of Bayview with high black opposition to SSM at the time...but the average composition of conservative vs liberal position on an issue or a ballot initiative.

However, if you compare this particular map to Obama vs McCain, you can see that the conservative position on the given issue outperformed the Republican candidate.

As recently as Nov. 2012, there was an item on the ballot expressing opposition to corporate personhood. It passed 81%-18%, but the "No" had nearly 15,000 more votes than Mitt Romney did.

Even in this extreme liberal enclave, conservative *ideas* (Although still very unpopular in the city) outperform Republican candidates themselves.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies