What's weirder? MLP fans vs. Bushie's Update fans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:49:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's weirder? MLP fans vs. Bushie's Update fans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What's weirder (in your opinion)?
Being a "My Little Pony" fanboy

Being a "BushOklahoma's The Update" fanboy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: What's weirder? MLP fans vs. Bushie's Update fans  (Read 6397 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 03:08:38 AM »

You, guys, have to look into yourselves before saying that bronies or any other similar devoted followers of any worship are weird. Look, this Forum is full of political junkies and weirdos (I include myself, of course). Not to mention how comedic may be many of the posters around here. Don't play to be 'adult' persons, because many of the non-bronies around here sometimes seem childish as well. Live and let live, kids.

Bullsh**t. There is no equivalency between analysing political demographics and election results and being a fan of a television show aimed at prepubescent girls. None. At all. Now, I say this as a person easily bored by discussions of county-level election results from the 1920s, or how Laotian-American Republicans have voted in primaries since 1976, but there is no comparison. Our best electoral statistician is an PhD-holder elected to statewide office. This Forum's preeminent "brony" as a 30-something who calls Lent by another name because he thinks it's too "mainstream". The fact is that one requires a deep width and breadth of knowledge; a working understanding of statistics, psychology, demographics, economics, and sociology. The other is at the level of toddlers- its damn target audience.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 03:38:21 AM »

It's nothing compared to my workplace. There's pony figurines and drawings in cubicles everywhere, and in the chat room in addition to all the pony avatars (probably about half the avatars are either ponies or Pokemon) it's full of people saying things like "Good morning everypony" when logging on and giving advice like "Return to the mane screen".

You must have a ridiculously high turnover rate
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 03:39:28 AM »

Just look at it as, which would be harder to explain to someone?

"It's kind of like a blog this guy makes about his hilarious trainwreck of a life"

vs.

"It's this cartoon show about a bunch of girl ponies except its really deep and the animation is good and it's totally not just a cartoon for little girls the creator even said so!"
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 03:50:47 AM »

Update.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 07:10:46 AM »

Be careful, you could lose in a moment that reputation so hardly obtained. Wink Cheesy

There is no equivalency between analysing political demographics and election results and being a fan of a television show aimed at prepubescent girls. None. At all. Now, I say this as a person easily bored by discussions of county-level election results from the 1920s, or how Laotian-American Republicans have voted in primaries since 1976, but there is no comparison. Our best electoral statistician is an PhD-holder elected to statewide office. This Forum's preeminent "brony" as a 30-something who calls Lent by another name because he thinks it's too "mainstream". The fact is that one requires a deep width and breadth of knowledge; a working understanding of statistics, psychology, demographics, economics, and sociology. The other is at the level of toddlers- its damn target audience.

OK, there are people around here who knows very much about political demographics and election results, but even those persons -and I can feel respect or admiration towards a few of them- act sometimes in a childish way. Everybody has flaws, dear. On the other hand, what's your problem with pre-pubescent girls? Given that the average of age here is low, I can imagine that there are some posters who are still in that wonderful phase called adolescence. Oh, and some people that I regard as good posters or, at least, that I like, are fans of the cartoon. Weird? Maybe but, who cares?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 08:18:36 AM »

I'm trying to figure out why ~30% of the forum is bronies now.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 09:58:37 AM »

This Forum's preeminent "brony" as a 30-something who calls Lent by another name because he thinks it's too "mainstream".

Uh, no. I'm still a 20something.

It's nothing compared to my workplace. There's pony figurines and drawings in cubicles everywhere, and in the chat room in addition to all the pony avatars (probably about half the avatars are either ponies or Pokemon) it's full of people saying things like "Good morning everypony" when logging on and giving advice like "Return to the mane screen".

Why do you say that?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 11:17:21 AM »

You, guys, have to look into yourselves before saying that bronies or any other similar devoted followers of any worship are weird. Look, this Forum is full of political junkies and weirdos (I include myself, of course). Not to mention how comedic may be many of the posters around here. Don't play to be 'adult' persons, because many of the non-bronies around here sometimes seem childish as well. Live and let live, kids.

Did you just compare bronyism to a religion?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »

Did you just compare bronyism to a religion?

Why not? in this Forum there are Leipists, Nateists and the like. I'm not a religious person, but I used to like 6ft Under.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »

I must admit that while this isn't why I started, seeing the ridiculous reaction of brony-haters is one of the things that keep me going. It's quite refreshing.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 01:12:59 PM »

This Forum's preeminent "brony" as a 30-something who calls Lent by another name because he thinks it's too "mainstream".

Well, shoot. My entire argument just fell apart.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 01:56:50 PM »

Bullsh**t. There is no equivalency between analysing political demographics and election results and being a fan of a television show aimed at prepubescent girls. None. At all. Now, I say this as a person easily bored by discussions of county-level election results from the 1920s, or how Laotian-American Republicans have voted in primaries since 1976, but there is no comparison. Our best electoral statistician is an PhD-holder elected to statewide office. This Forum's preeminent "brony" as a 30-something who calls Lent by another name because he thinks it's too "mainstream". The fact is that one requires a deep width and breadth of knowledge; a working understanding of statistics, psychology, demographics, economics, and sociology. The other is at the level of toddlers- its damn target audience.

tbf, our preeminent brony is quite good with electoral geography as well.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2013, 05:04:48 PM »

muon2 is a state legislator, not elected statewide.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 05:15:56 PM »

Why do you say that?

First, I just think it is slightly unprofessional, immature and most importantly find it cringe inducingly unfunny. If someone said return to the mane screen, I think that deserves a punch in the d1ck. The majority of men would prefer to talk about sports to kill time, not about an animated pony show. Just as you would probably look for the exits of a conversation if people were perpetually talking about 'the big game', I just simply couldnt be around people "zany" co-workers.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 07:56:18 PM »

Man, you know I'm not exactly a "brony", but you realize the alternative is BushOklahoma?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2013, 10:11:54 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2013, 10:15:17 PM by Constellations of a Stargazing Iris »

Why do you say that?

First, I just think it is slightly unprofessional, immature and most importantly find it cringe inducingly unfunny. If someone said return to the mane screen, I think that deserves a punch in the d1ck. The majority of men would prefer to talk about sports to kill time, not about an animated pony show. Just as you would probably look for the exits of a conversation if people were perpetually talking about 'the big game', I just simply couldnt be around people "zany" co-workers.

Thing is my job does not attract "normal" people, and if any do get hired they usually don't get promoted (and thus aren't using the chat.) It's uber-nerds galore, also plenty of things like Star Wars Lego sets around desks and transformers toys decorating an entire cubicle, slso a lot of them are also scene and go to the same shows I do. This is the type of workplace that actually needs to pass a rule saying that Nerf guns aren't allowed in the building because too many people were complaining about being shot by them while working and the reason they weren't banned sooner is because the people doing the shooting were mostly management. To give an example just from today, not only did someone come in wearing a Pikachu hoodie (basically this), another guy got the idea to draw a Pokeball on some crumpled paper and throw it at him.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »

The only thing worse than bronies is brony haters.

I personally find the phenomenon incomprehensible, but whatever happened to live and let live?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 03:13:21 PM »

Man, you know I'm not exactly a "brony", but you realize the alternative is BushOklahoma?
Well at least we are in his target audience, unlike My Little Pony.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 03:29:07 PM »

Is Bushie a brony? Because he should be. It would be hilarious.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »

Lauren Faust said she made My Little Pony for adults.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2013, 09:18:42 PM »

Be careful, you could lose in a moment that reputation so hardly obtained. Wink Cheesy

My father has a peculiar habit of saying that when particularly irate. I suppose when an oxen's feces is involved, the gloves come off. Guess I picked it up.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2013, 10:04:37 PM »

MLP's target audience is kids. Bushie's target audience is morons, voyeurists, or people who get amused by someone else's utter failure at life. I like kids better.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2013, 11:14:16 PM »

MLP's target audience is kids.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2013, 11:28:21 PM »

MLP's target audience is kids.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, sure, whatever.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2013, 07:47:20 AM »

Anyone want to change their vote? Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length