Capital Punishment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:49:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Capital Punishment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you support the use of capital punishment?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Capital Punishment  (Read 2661 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:18:14 AM »

Well?

No (D)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:38:16 AM »

Yes (I)

I don't think it should be used very much (probably less than currently), but I think it should be an open option.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:58:24 AM »

I'm literally dead Neutral (I) on the issue.

I don't lean one way or the other.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:21:22 AM »

No, absolutely not. It's abhorrent.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:35:58 AM »

Is this a quarterly topic?  Yes, fully support. 
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:39:13 AM »

fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 10:48:51 AM »

No, it's barbaric and ineffective.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 10:54:03 AM »

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 11:07:23 AM »

No (D), in all situations.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 11:08:32 AM »

I very strongly support it.

What is barbaric about it?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 11:08:52 AM »

Yes (R)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »

Public murder is less than civilized.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »

Public murder is less than civilized.

I disagree with your description, but fine.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2013, 11:21:04 AM by Seņor Macho Solo »

How else do you describe the premeditated taking of another person's life? What is murder if not that? Ah, that's right, only bad guys can murder. If a good guy does something bad, you can just call it something else and it's all good. That on top of the fact that we insist on continuing it despite prohibitive costs and less than compelling results. It's fueled by a boorish need for revenge, nothing more. By all means support it all you want, just don't delude yourself into thinking it's some sort of tasteful, modern practice of justice.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 11:15:25 AM »

No (R)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 11:23:20 AM »

How else do you describe the premeditated taking of another person's life? What is murder if not that? Ah, that's right, only bad guys can murder. If a good guy does something bad, you can just call it something else and it's all good. By all means support it all you want, just don't delude yourself into thinking it's some sort of tasteful, modern practice of justice.

This.

It's state controlled murder. The whole point of the western justice system is a balance between punishment and the right to appeal if a perceived injustice has been done. Execution is finite; a person in life imprisonment for the most henious of crimes can appeal his sentence and if found innocent can be made free. An executed man cannot.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 01:40:25 PM »

Oppose, of course.
Gamecock
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 02:17:36 PM »

How else do you describe the premeditated taking of another person's life? What is murder if not that? Ah, that's right, only bad guys can murder.

The main distinction being that a murder committed by a criminal is an unlawful act committed against an undeserved person and that a state execution is a lawful act committed against a deserving person who committed a unlawful act. While the physical act of ending a life is the same, there are clear differences.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 02:28:14 PM »

How else do you describe the premeditated taking of another person's life? What is murder if not that? Ah, that's right, only bad guys can murder.

The main distinction being that a murder committed by a criminal is an unlawful act committed against an undeserved person and that a state execution is a lawful act committed against a deserving person who committed a unlawful act. While the physical act of ending a life is the same, there are clear differences.

Yes, but legality does not equal morality.

I oppose capital punishment in all cases without exception, as it is both barbaric and ineffective.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 02:32:17 PM »

I oppose capital punishment in all cases without exception, as it is both barbaric and ineffective.

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 02:33:57 PM »

"deserving" is a nonsensical term, Mr Gamecock.
Gamecock
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 02:53:15 PM »

Not always of course. However, as a society, people set punishments to deter crime and it is not immoral to apply punishments to people who willingly commit crimes with the knowledge beforehand that their committing of a crime might result in punishment. The punishment he suffers is one that he risked suffering, so it is no more unjust to apply a punishment to him then any other event where one voluntarily assumes risk.

How do you classify it as ineffective? Some studies have argued that for every execution preformed 3 to 18 lives are saved.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »

In theory, Yes (I).  In practice, as currently practiced in those states that have it, No (I).  Any potential deterrent value the death penalty might have is negated by the lengthy time between conviction and execution of sentence.  The discretion applied in deciding who to seek the death penalty against leads to some questions as to whether it is being equitably applied.

So, while I support the death penalty in theory, I don't support the death penalty as currently practiced in the United States, and would prefer life without parole replacing the death penalty to the current system.
Benj

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 02:57:27 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2013, 02:59:47 PM by Benj »

Not always of course. However, as a society, people set punishments to deter crime and it is not immoral to apply punishments to people who willingly commit crimes with the knowledge beforehand that their committing of a crime might result in punishment. The punishment he suffers is one that he risked suffering, so it is no more unjust to apply a punishment to him then any other event where one voluntarily assumes risk.

So, if we implemented a law requiring execution for illegal music downloading, you would support executing music downloaders who were aware of the punishment? What if we implemented a law requiring execution for jaywalking?

Or, to a go a little further, suppose we had a law requiring execution for speaking out against the government?
Gamecock
Rookie
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 03:01:02 PM »

So, if we implemented a law requiring execution for illegal music downloading, you would support executing music downloaders? What if we implemented a law requiring execution for jaywalking? Or perhaps for speaking out against the government?

Be careful not to use a lighter near the straw man you've created, it might catch fire.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies