What's the worst major party in the world?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:12:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What's the worst major party in the world?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What's the worst major party in the world?  (Read 5684 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 09:28:31 PM »

And besides, until you mentioned them, I never heard of them. 

That's... odd. Jobbik are a Hungarian Neo-Nazi party and Golden Shower are a Greek Neo-Nazi party. In neither case is the label hyperbole. Jobbik has attracted some international media attention because of its open (and extreme) antisemitism and because it polled 16% of the vote in the 2010 General Election. Golden Shower have attracted a lot of international media attention because they are linked to violence against immigrants and don't even bother to deny it. And because, despite (or because of?) that, 7% of the 62% of Greeks who voted in the second 2012 election voted for them and their support has since risen.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 09:34:09 PM »

I can't think of any major party in the developed world that is worse than the U.S. Republican Party.  

The GOP has some pretty vile elements and has been on a long downward spiral for some time, but how is it worse than actual fascist parties like Jobbik and Golden Dawn?

Are these major parties?  Do they hold power?  Do they affect policy-making at the highest levels?  And besides, until you mentioned them, I never heard of them.  

Jobbik and Golden Dawn are significant in their relative countries (Hungary and Greece, respectively), but they're still third parties who have never and probably never will form a government, although they do matter in multi-party systems like Greece and Hungary.

Anyway, if we're considering "parties which have a chance of forming government" as major and limiting it to only democratic systems:

Fidesz (Hungary)
Republican Party (United States)
BJP (India)
ANC (extremely sad to put them on this list, but in their modern form they count)
LDP (Japan)
PRI (Mexico)
Likud (Israel)

The above are in no particular order. There are probably more that I'm not thinking of right now.
Zuza
Russian Federation
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 09:55:49 PM »

Anyway, if we're considering "parties which have a chance of forming government" as major and limiting it to only democratic systems:

Fidesz (Hungary)
Republican Party (United States)
BJP (India)
ANC (extremely sad to put them on this list, but in their modern form they count)
LDP (Japan)
PRI (Mexico)
Likud (Israel)

The above are in no particular order. There are probably more that I'm not thinking of right now.

Some other pretenders:
Party of Regions (Ukraine)
FJP (Egypt)
PdL (Italy)
Law and Justice (Poland)
Justice and Development Party (Turkey)

If we include countries that can hardly be called democracies but nevertheless aren't one-party dominant states then 1st place goes to Hezbollah or one of the Iranian conservative parties.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 11:54:03 PM »

Though speaking of which, are there any unreformed Stalinist parties that hold seats won in free and fair elections?

Communist Party of Greece, though they are too hilarious to not love.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 12:00:49 AM »

Though speaking of which, are there any unreformed Stalinist parties that hold seats won in free and fair elections?

Have they had fights with that Nazi party like Germany did in the 1920s and early 1930s?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 12:24:20 AM »

If we're considering major as 'a chance of forming government', then probably the Tea Party.
doktorb
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 12:35:36 AM »

Some people here are mixing up "worst" with "what I disagree with most" Wink
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 12:55:55 PM »

Have they had fights with that Nazi party like Germany did in the 1920s and early 1930s?

Yes.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 01:36:29 PM »

Yes.

One of which was recorded for posterity.

Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 03:06:48 PM »

Of the real major party, aka able to take power, I'd say the Republican Party and the PRI are good choices. The PdL isn't bad either. In fact, the parties that can make it into this topic is the ones you continuously have to ask yourself : "how on Earth can this party still be winning elections ?"
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 03:37:43 PM »

Some people here are mixing up "worst" with "what I disagree with most" Wink

^^^The Republicrats are particularly bad, but not the worst by any measure.

Anyways, the worst party is not really a party but the European nationalist anti-immigrant movement, be it manifested in Golden Dawn, Jobbik, the PVV, the FPÖ, the BNP, or the Front National. Runner-up goes to the Israeli far-right, namely Habayit Hayehudi and Otzma LeYisrael, as well as parts of Likud.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 04:29:22 PM »

United Russia has to be up there.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »

I dunno if that counts as a democracy though.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 05:53:38 PM »

Do 1 party plus systems count?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 06:05:48 PM »

According to the topic starter definition (and limiting ourselves to actual democracies), Golden Dawn and Jobbik seem like the obvious choices.

If you only consider major parties which are actually major, and are likely to have a good chance of forming a government, Fidesz strikes me as the worst.  What Orban has been doing to democracy in Hungary is beyond the pale in a way that even the horrible, retrograde ideologues in parties like PiL, FPÖ, and the GOP can't approach. 

I admit I'm unfamiliar with what makes the BJP so horrible.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »

Hindu nationalist extremists. They're the part of who like to stir up tensions and violence toward Muslims (think Slumdog Millionaire), engage in violence against missionaries and want to ban conversion.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2013, 06:30:45 PM »

Zanu PF (redeemed slightly by their hilarious twitter account)

Just looked this up...that is one of the single funniest Twitter feeds I have ever had the pleasure to read. Sex positions are unAfrican.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2013, 07:11:47 PM »

Hindu nationalist extremists. They're the part of who like to stir up tensions and violence toward Muslims (think Slumdog Millionaire), engage in violence against missionaries and want to ban conversion.

Okay, yeah, pretty horrible then.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2013, 09:31:05 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2013, 09:36:18 PM by SoEA SJoyce »

Zanu PF (redeemed slightly by their hilarious twitter account)

Just looked this up...that is one of the single funniest Twitter feeds I have ever had the pleasure to read. Sex positions are unAfrican.

@_jessgamble: Reading tweets of @zanu_pf they also say skinny women are unAfrican. Lovely.
@zanu_pf: Don't worry u r not skinny.

@zanu_pf: "Gangnam" is an unAfrican cult. #culture #facts #unAfrican

@zanu_pf: We suffer harsh climate &extreme heat because of Western Imperialist polution. The have broken the virginity of Ozone.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2013, 10:42:11 PM »

Not sure if Zanu counts, Zimbabwe is hardly a democracy.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2013, 03:21:56 PM »

Are there really people in this thread claiming that Sinn Féin are as bad as Golden Dawn?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2013, 04:12:04 PM »

It's hard to argue against the answer being Golden Dawn, with Jobbik maybe not far behind.

With a stricter definition of "major party", I'm very tempted to say the Republicans, but there are some other convincing candidates mentioned in this thread, such as Fidesz and Berlusconi's lot.  I'd also suggest that the Swiss People's Party deserve a mention.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2013, 06:13:21 PM »

Off the top of my head:

Parties that have formed/have a shot at forming government:
BJP
Sinn Fein

Parties with seats/ >5% of the vote
Jobbik
Golden Dawn
KKE
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2013, 12:37:42 AM »

It's hard to argue against the answer being Golden Dawn, with Jobbik maybe not far behind.

With a stricter definition of "major party", I'm very tempted to say the Republicans, but there are some other convincing candidates mentioned in this thread, such as Fidesz and Berlusconi's lot.  I'd also suggest that the Swiss People's Party deserve a mention.

Fidesz is definitely worse than the GOP, but only by a depressingly small amount. Then again, I don't think Fidesz has ever intentionally damaged Hungary's credit rating as a bargaining tactic to force cuts in welfare for poor people to fund tax cuts for the extremely wealthy.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2013, 12:49:26 PM »

Fidesz is definitely worse than the GOP, but only by a depressingly small amount. Then again, I don't think Fidesz has ever intentionally damaged Hungary's credit rating as a bargaining tactic to force cuts in welfare for poor people to fund tax cuts for the extremely wealthy.

Judging by how various Republican state parties try to restrict the franchise by stringent voting requirements that the poor can't meet, gerrymandering, proposals to allocate electoral votes for president via gerrymandered congressional districts, and even outright voter intimidation, I'd say that Fidesz isn't significantly worse than the GOP, and sad to say, it's probably better than some of the Beck/Bachmann elements. Still not as bad as Golden Dawn and Jobbik though.

Off the top of my head:

Parties that have formed/have a shot at forming government:
BJP
Sinn Fein

The FPO has been in government, and the PVV has been in negotiations to form a government, meaning that it probably has a shot at being in government at some point.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies