A long shadow over America... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:03:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  A long shadow over America... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A long shadow over America...  (Read 3800 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: February 13, 2005, 04:40:33 PM »

I've been doing a little research into why American politics is in the mess it's in right now... and I've come to some interesting conclusions.
I'm too tired to type it all up here now, but what I've decided is the main cause of this has cast a very long shadow over America.

I'll post the whole thing up tomorrow morning
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 03:55:34 PM »

Part One

The seeds of the answer are somewhat obvious... Vietnam, the "Culture War", the backlash to the Civil Rights movement... etc, etc, etc... but the thing is, there had been issues like those before, there have been since... but none have lasted and infested American politics at a federal level in the way that the issues spawned at the fag end of the '60's.
One of the main reason for the survival of these issues (which are the primary cause of much of the bitterness that's been a big feature of federal politics in the last 35 or so years) is because one bitter, paranoid and quite possibly insane, politician (and his small circle of advisors/cronies) grasped the unpleasant idea that by careful and cynical use of issues that place different ethnic, religious, social and racial groups with similer economic interests on opposite sides in what is essentially a meaningless debate, there is much political capital to be made... especially if said groups are the core voters of you're opponents party.

Part Two soon
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 04:12:12 PM »

So, you're blaming every problem of the past 30 years on Richard Nixon? I mean, he had a lot to do with these things, but I don't quite think he's to blame for everything...

I mean, everyone from Lyndon Johnson to Lee Atwater to Huey Newton to Joe Stalin has to share the blame.

I haven't finished yet Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 01:14:36 PM »

The '64 election was in retrospect the most important Postwar U.K election (especially in the Liverpool area).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 11:13:35 AM »

You still haven't told us what this whole thread really is about.

All my files got wiped a week or so ago Angry
I'm having to redo the whole f****** thing...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies