Lautenberg (Likely Senile-NJ) says Booker may need a "spanking."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:27:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lautenberg (Likely Senile-NJ) says Booker may need a "spanking."
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Lautenberg (Likely Senile-NJ) says Booker may need a "spanking."  (Read 8951 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2013, 06:23:02 PM »

From the bizarre-o files - http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/lautenberg-booker-may-need-spanking-86576.html?hp=r6

New Jersey Sen. Frank Lautenberg says Newark Mayor Cory Booker may need a “spanking” for being “disrespectful” to the long-serving lawmaker by openly making a play for his seat in 2014.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:26:51 PM »

he also said that his job in the senate is cushy.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 06:32:53 PM »

I really don't get the Lautenberg hate around here. He's been a fairly good senator...nice business background too. Booker, on the other hand, is the typical political opportunist. I don't really like him at all, too Rahm Emanuel-ly for my tastes...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 06:36:07 PM »

...Cory Booker has based his career on being a reformer. How the hell is he like Rahm?
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:44:53 PM »

...Cory Booker has based his career on being a reformer. How the hell is he like Rahm?

Well that's the thing isn't it...he's been playing the reformer card, but what has he actually done? Jack... he may be a fine person, but his DLC-style politics don't sit well with a Bay Area liberal like me. Sorry, just sayin....
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:02:39 PM »

SIX MORE YEARS! SIX MORE YEARS!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 07:09:12 PM »

lol
Benj

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 07:13:39 PM »

Well that's the thing isn't it...he's been playing the reformer card, but what has he actually done? Jack... he may be a fine person, but his DLC-style politics don't sit well with a Bay Area liberal like me. Sorry, just sayin....

Okay. I'm sure Sharpe James and Ronald Rice are exactly your type of politician.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 07:34:27 PM »

The DLC doesn't even exist anymore. Liberals like you are just as annoying as the Tea Party types constantly complaining about Republicans.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 12:32:09 AM »

Lautenberg should gracefully retire for the good of the Democratic Party. He'll be 91 in 2014, and if he dies some time 3 years later, his successor will lay in the hands of Chris Christie. And considering the Dems are very close to losing at least two seats, the seat could be the one seat hanging in the balance between a tie or a Republican majority.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 04:28:20 AM »

I really don't get the Lautenberg hate around here. He's been a fairly good senator...nice business background too. Booker, on the other hand, is the typical political opportunist. I don't really like him at all, too Rahm Emanuel-ly for my tastes...

The reason I don't like him is because he's a fairly nasty, mean old man. Hella effective, but not a nice guy — and not mean in a way that enhances his effectiveness.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 07:31:22 AM »

Between Lautenberg and Booker, I'd support Lautenberg all the way.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 07:36:46 AM »

Frank Lautenberg is a perfect example of this entitlement mentality Republicans criticize us for.  Even his own constituents are getting sick of him.   
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 08:07:27 AM »

Is he trying to lose the primary?

Probably good for Booker's reputation if Lautenberg doesn't go quietly.
wan
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 08:10:21 AM »

At 89 years old, Mr. Lautenberg needs to retire, pronto.

However, I agree that Cory should have waited for him to announce retiring out of respect for seniority and party affiliation.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 08:15:35 AM »

I've been a staunch Lautenberg defender before... but, um, no longer.  Sounds like a change is, in fact, necessary.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 09:33:56 AM »

However, I agree that Cory should have waited for him to announce retiring out of respect for seniority and party affiliation.
Lautenberg wouldn't ever retire if he'd done that.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 10:17:39 AM »

I agree Booker could have waited a year or so, but I'm still supporting him over Lautenberg. I don't want a republican senator for 3 years...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 10:38:07 AM »

News that will surely make ol' Franky even more cranky: latest Quinnipiac poll has Booker up 51%-30%.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 02:19:54 PM »

Instead, the one who'll get his ass kicked is Lautenberg.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 02:49:59 PM »

Will be good to see him gone. Lautenberg evidently feels entitled to his seat, and is forgetting that it in fact belongs to the people of New Jersey. The people want Booker.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 04:08:05 PM »

It's just that we need fresh blood and I don't want to run the risk of him being replaced by Christie.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 06:33:49 PM »

It's just that we need fresh blood and I don't want to run the risk of him being replaced by Christie.

I'm all for fresh political blood - sadly there isn't much of that in NJ - I just don't think Cory Booker is the guy though. Admittedly, he would be preferable to whoever Christie would appoint, but I still would prefer someone more in the Sherrod Brown, Elizabeth Warren mold. But clearly the voters want Booker (who is preferable to the rest of the choices that the NJ Democratic party has to offer, which is saying something) and if that holds true for the next two years he'll win. I don't think I'll ever like him though. It's just a visceral thing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »

I'm all for fresh political blood - sadly there isn't much of that in NJ - I just don't think Cory Booker is the guy though. Admittedly, he would be preferable to whoever Christie would appoint, but I still would prefer someone more in the Sherrod Brown, Elizabeth Warren mold. But clearly the voters want Booker (who is preferable to the rest of the choices that the NJ Democratic party has to offer, which is saying something) and if that holds true for the next two years he'll win. I don't think I'll ever like him though. It's just a visceral thing.

Of course it would be great if all D Senators were like Brown and Warren, but for God's sake let's be a bit realistic. Do you realize that's just not possible? I'm all for replacing moderate heroes and Blue Dogs with real progressives... but precisely, Booker will certainly be a reliable progressive vote.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »

Lautenberg wouldn't ever retire if he'd done that.

Some Democrats tried forcing Lautenberg out in 2008 -- Rep. Rob Andrews ran against him in the primary. But Frank stayed and fought, and won pretty easily after winning the support of the county chairs. Unfortunately for the incumbent, Booker doesn't even need to win county chairs over to win. And worse yet, Lautenberg is certainly far weaker now than he was six years ago.

But yes, the point is: Lautenberg doesn't want to go anywhere. He's an old man who doesn't want to retire ever, because he despised retirement when he tried it. If he drops out of the primary, it's because he thought the affair pointless without a possible path to victory. If he senses he can win, even if it's a relative longshot, I think the guy will pull the trigger and we'll have an ugly primary on our hands. The fact that Booker is applying pressure to get Lautenberg out is only going to make Lautenberg want to dig his heels in deeper.

Over all, though, it doesn't matter. Booker is at 51% in the latest Q-poll. Lautenberg, a statewide office holder since 1983, was only able to get 30%. Lautenberg is going to get annihilated.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies