Lautenberg (Likely Senile-NJ) says Booker may need a "spanking."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:53:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lautenberg (Likely Senile-NJ) says Booker may need a "spanking."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Lautenberg (Likely Senile-NJ) says Booker may need a "spanking."  (Read 8930 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 01:33:08 AM »

If he down by 20 points as an incumbent, he really should retire to save face.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 01:37:23 AM »

Well, hopefully the 2014 winner has political views closer to Lautenberg then Booker. Somehow Booker thought that Obama was too mean to Wall Street. WTF?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 01:42:27 AM »

I'm all for replacing moderate heroes and Blue Dogs with real progressives... but precisely, Booker will certainly be a reliable progressive vote.

I'm skeptical about that after reading a few articles. The guy seems like a Wall Street crony who would feel right at home in the now defunct DLC.

Also, dumping publicly on Obama campaign's decision to attack Mitt Romney's business background doesn't speak well about his ability to be a team player.
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 03:21:59 AM »

Sounds like someone who plans to run in 2014, and knows he is way behind in the primary

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Source: National Journal
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 05:32:39 PM »

How can Lautenberg compete with this? How can anybody?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/25/cory-booker-rescues-dog-cold-newark-new-jersey_n_2551587.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 06:30:57 PM »

I like Booker but the whole rescuing people/animals thing got old after like the third time.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »

That's incredibly awkward.
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 08:04:22 PM »

I like Booker but the whole rescuing people/animals thing got old after like the third time.

saving someone from a burning building gets old? If that's not the most cynical thing I've ever heard I don't know what is...
hopper
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 08:04:43 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2013, 08:07:45 PM by hopper »

At 89 years old, Mr. Lautenberg needs to retire, pronto.

However, I agree that Cory should have waited for him to announce retiring out of respect for seniority and party affiliation.
Lautenberg wouldn't ever retire if he'd done that.
Some Democrats tried forcing Lautenberg out in 2008 -- Rep. Rob Andrews ran against him in the primary. But Frank stayed and fought, and won pretty easily after winning the support of the county chairs. Unfortunately for the incumbent, Booker doesn't even need to win county chairs over to win. And worse yet, Lautenberg is certainly far weaker now than he was six years ago.

But yes, the point is: Lautenberg doesn't want to go anywhere. He's an old man who doesn't want to retire ever, because he despised retirement when he tried it. If he drops out of the primary, it's because he thought the affair pointless without a possible path to victory. If he senses he can win, even if it's a relative longshot, I think the guy will pull the trigger and we'll have an ugly primary on our hands. The fact that Booker is applying pressure to get Lautenberg out is only going to make Lautenberg want to dig his heels in deeper.

Over all, though, it doesn't matter. Booker is at 51% in the latest Q-poll. Lautenberg, a statewide office holder since 1983, was only able to get 30%. Lautenberg is going to get annihilated.
No the 2015-2020 term will be Lautenberg's last term. Lautenberg has stated he doesn't want to run for office at age 94.
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 08:14:47 PM »

Lautenberg appears to be a pretty solid and reliable progressive senator, I've voted for him 2x since becoming eligible.  But as a young NJ voter (25 years old) I think it is time for him to retire. I don't think we as Democrats in NJ can risk him becoming ill or suddenly passing away during a new term with a Republican in the governors mansion. I hope he does the right thing and stays out of the race and let Booker and others fight it out in a primary race.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 09:11:39 PM »

No the 2015-2020 term will be Lautenberg's last term. Lautenberg has stated he doesn't want to run for office at age 94.

Thurmond had several last terms.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 12:17:28 PM »

Endorsed.
hopper
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 07:08:45 PM »

Thurmond had several last terms.
Yeah but Launtenberg is not Strom Thurmond. Look how old Lautenberg is too. I mean he is going to be in the US Senate till he is 100 years old? I heavily doubt that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »

We really should have mandatory retirement- no one above the age of 80 is allowed to run for public office.

Lautenberg has been a good senator and an even better front-man for the Democratic Party, but I think it really his time to go. He's too old for the job, and he knows it, and it's only a sense of possession of his seat that is keeping him there, and that's no reason whatsoever. If he has any decency, he will realize that the best thing for New Jersey, the Democratic Party, and the nation as a whole, is for him to step aside for the next generation as manifested in Cory Booker.

Also, he should know that, seeing the passing of Daniel Inoyue, not retiring leaves a big question open- what happens if he were to die in office. Presumably Christie would appoint another Republican. It's undoubtedly difficult to contemplate the consequences of your own demise, but a United States Senator he should be ready and able to approach those sort of party matters. The right thing for him to do would be to step aside with his dignity intact rather than having to be dragged out like this.

So the "new Simfan" is all about parroting the forum consensus? What a waste of bandwidth.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 06:31:41 PM »

I second my desire for the return of the old Simfan. Also, jmfcst and Straha.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2013, 08:55:19 PM »

If he down by 20 points as an incumbent, he really should retire to save face.

To some people that's the opposite of saving face. Better to go down fighting and all that.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 09:31:11 PM »

Seriously?

This is sig worthy.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 12:40:12 AM »

Lautenberg only raised $11,000 in the last quarter of 2012, which is pretty damn low for an incumbent senator.

But given how rich Lautenberg is, he could just be planning on financing the race himself.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 12:43:14 AM »

if you're 89 years old and realistically only have a dozen years left to live, a multimillionaire, and have accomplished more than most people will accomplish; why not just move to the FL gold coast and enjoy the year round 80 degree temps?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2013, 03:52:50 AM »

Because he enjoys what he is doing.  He tried being a former Senator once before and hated it.  So that Lautenberg would want to run again is no surprise.  The only way he won't run will be if he is convinced he has no chance, not that he has a slim chance, not that he'll need the campaign to go his way.  Nope, he'll need to be convinced he has zero chance, and even then he might run in hopes something unexpected happens like Booker running into a burning building to save another pet, but not coming out.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2013, 05:48:48 PM »

if you're 89 years old and realistically only have a dozen years left to live, a multimillionaire, and have accomplished more than most people will accomplish; why not just move to the FL gold coast and enjoy the year round 80 degree temps?

It's not unusual that someone who genuinely loves his job would want to spend the majority of those remaining 12 years working. I feel bad for the guy, but I don't have confidence in him being able to do his job at 95. I don't want a senator for "just a couple years." I want someone to do the full six-year job.

It's time for Booker.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2013, 06:45:43 PM »

Is Booker even running?  He just became mayor of Newark; shouldn't he focus on that first?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 06:48:30 PM »

Booker has an exploratory committee, the only reason he hasn't formally declared is because he's hoping that the old man bows out. BTW, Booker's halfway through his second term as mayor.
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 07:10:32 PM »

Is Booker even running?  He just became mayor of Newark; shouldn't he focus on that first?
He's been Mayor since 2006
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »

Anyone who thinks Booker has just "pulled the reformer card" is an imbecile. His record is clearly plastered all over the place, you don't have to look hard for hundreds of real accomplishments. Hell, just walk through Newark and ask anyone in that city what it was like 10 years ago.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies