Norwegian Parliamentary Election 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:56:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Norwegian Parliamentary Election 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Author Topic: Norwegian Parliamentary Election 2013  (Read 62370 times)
Lurker
Norway
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »

Indeed. There are people that want to see Hadia Tajik as the Labour party leader at some point in the future. Obviously she will not be Stoltenbergs successor (as she is a bit to young), but she might emerge as a candidate after Trond Giske or Jonas Gahr Støre. First she will need experience from a "heavier" post than Minister of Culture.

I wouldn't be certain that she'll be too young, though. Many insiders are now claiming that Stoltenberg will still lead Arbeiderpartiet in 2017. If so, and if he wins then (many if's, but still), he'll probably stay for some years after that. She'd still be quite young, but could be a strong candidate, IMO.

HansOslo
Rookie
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »

That really depends on whether or not they win the election next month. I can imagine Stoltenberg staying on as Prime Minister to 2017, but it is very unlikely that he will want to serve as the leader of Arbeiderpartiet in opposition. Since they will probably be out of office in a few months, they will need to think about a leader post-Stoltenberg. And it probably wont be Hadija Tajik, at least for eight-ten years.

Of the younger members of AP, can you think of other possible future contenders for the leadership? There is of course Anniken Huitfeldt, Annette Trettebergstuen and maybe even Eskild Pedersen.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2013, 10:10:36 AM »

Every TV channel here in Spain is talking about the taxi driver Smiley
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2013, 10:53:06 AM »

That really depends on whether or not they win the election next month. I can imagine Stoltenberg staying on as Prime Minister to 2017, but it is very unlikely that he will want to serve as the leader of Arbeiderpartiet in opposition. Since they will probably be out of office in a few months, they will need to think about a leader post-Stoltenberg. And it probably wont be Hadija Tajik, at least for eight-ten years.

Of the younger members of AP, can you think of other possible future contenders for the leadership? There is of course Anniken Huitfeldt, Annette Trettebergstuen and maybe even Eskild Pedersen.

I would have thought the same myself, that Stoltenberg would not stay on as leader of the opposition, but after reading some recent articles I think he may continue as leader. While the press always talk about him going for an international "top job", it's not like there are many of those available at the moment. If he were to go now though, I guess Støre would be the only possible replacement for Ap. If he were to decline, I have no idea who the favourite would be.

As for young leaders, it seems like Torgeir Micaelsen is a rising star, becoming head of the finance comittee at the age of 30. I think Huitfeldt is a bit too bland and not charismatic enough to become leader - then again, these type of things doesn't seem to matter as much here as in some other countries. And of course, Tajjik would probably be a very strong candidate, were she ever to run, as she has the perfect "profile": Young, female, immigrant, very ambitious and hard-working. And, just like Brundtland, her partner is a politician from Høyre, showing that she's skilled at bipartisanship. Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »

I would have thought the same myself, that Stoltenberg would not stay on as leader of the opposition, but after reading some recent articles I think he may continue as leader. While the press always talk about him going for an international "top job", it's not like there are many of those available at the moment. If he were to go now though, I guess Støre would be the only possible replacement for Ap. If he were to decline, I have no idea who the favourite would be.

As for young leaders, it seems like Torgeir Micaelsen is a rising star, becoming head of the finance comittee at the age of 30. I think Huitfeldt is a bit too bland and not charismatic enough to become leader - then again, these type of things doesn't seem to matter as much here as in some other countries. And of course, Tajjik would probably be a very strong candidate, were she ever to run, as she has the perfect "profile": Young, female, immigrant, very ambitious and hard-working. And, just like Brundtland, her partner is a politician from Høyre, showing that she's skilled at bipartisanship. Wink

Not an immigrant, but Norway-born ... Wink
Viewfromthenorth
Rookie

« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2013, 11:17:16 AM »

If Eskil Pedersen becomes leader Arbeiderpartiet will be polling in the teens in no time. If Jens should resign after the election, I predict a brief power struggle between Støre and Giske, with Giske managing to politically self-destruct because he's too far to the left.

In Norway the situation is like this:
I am born to an American mother and Norwegian father. My mother is naturally an immigrant, but I am considered Norwegian.
A Pakistani, Turk or for that matter a Pole who has resided here for four generations, on the other hand...

So Tajik is still an "immigrant" in many people's eyes, as will be the case for any children she has.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »

Not an immigrant, but Norway-born ... Wink

Yeah,"immigrant background"/ "second generation immigrant" would have been better. The point still stands though. Wink
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2013, 12:17:54 PM »

OMG!

Really cute! Almost makes it a bit sad his party might end up out of parliament. [/shallowness]
Scandinavia sure has a lot going for it as far as the hotness/cuteness of its male politicians goes.  Between him and Gustav Fridolin, especially.  And Stoltenberg was pretty good when he was younger. 
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2013, 01:24:43 PM »

Yeah, this is a funny, albeit interesting publicity stunt.  Hollands is dull enough that I could see him being able to do it.  With Obama, his voice is so easily recognized that he wouldn't get very far.  And Kevin Rudd would be like Harper and Faymann: painfully awkward. 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2013, 01:29:17 PM »

Yeah, this is a funny, albeit interesting publicity stunt.  Hollands is dull enough that I could see him being able to do it.  With Obama, his voice is so easily recognized that he wouldn't get very far.  And Kevin Rudd would be like Harper and Faymann: painfully awkward. 

Austrian TV news is running the Stoltenberg taxi story up and down these days ...

And because I watched some of it, I now know that Chancellor Faymann actually worked as a taxi driver for 1 year after his high-school exams ... Smiley
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2013, 01:42:25 PM »

Big story here in Germany as well, and used as obvious contrast to our political leaders.

What do you Norwegians think will be the implications? Will it boost the AP votes, and if so, to where?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »

Got on the news here as well.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2013, 01:58:59 PM »

Big story here in Germany as well, and used as obvious contrast to our political leaders.

What do you Norwegians think will be the implications? Will it boost the AP votes, and if so, to where?

Well moves like this tend to be more about perception and contrast with other leaders than immediate bounces in the poll.
Viewfromthenorth
Rookie

« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2013, 02:22:02 AM »

So far only really Venstre out in force with election posters. Trying to enter people's memories nice and early, I guess.

"We focus on education" with a picture of party leader Trine Skei Grande.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2013, 10:51:02 AM »

So far only really Venstre out in force with election posters. Trying to enter people's memories nice and early, I guess.

"We focus on education" with a picture of party leader Trine Skei Grande.

Have they always used green as their colour, or is that new?
HansOslo
Rookie
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2013, 11:27:04 AM »

They have been using the color green at least for a few elections, maybe more. Environmental issues became salient in Norway from the late eighties an onward, and Venstre have always tried to profile themselves as the “green” party. As well has SV (and SP to a certain extent).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2013, 04:35:28 AM »

So, I heard something about the taxi customers having been paid or something? Did that become a thing?

Also, I heard that culture minister wants to give arranged marriages similar status to regular ones. Is this true and if so, is it controversial?
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2013, 07:19:06 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2013, 07:24:41 AM by Lurker »

So, I heard something about the taxi customers having been paid or something? Did that become a thing?

Also, I heard that culture minister wants to give arranged marriages similar status to regular ones. Is this true and if so, is it controversial?

The taxi thing: Nobody cares. VG tried to make a thing out of it for a couple of days, but didn't really get any response.

Yes, Tajik has indeed defended arranged marriages. This caused much debate, but not nearly the controversy you'd have expected. Interestingly, many feminists seem to support Tajik's views on arranged marriages, which I find strange to say the least.
HansOslo
Rookie
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2013, 06:59:12 AM »

There are a lot of interesting developments in the political landscape, just a little more than three weeks before the election.

The current average from the August polls is as following:

Rødt: 1, 9 %
SV: 4, 2 %
AP: 28, 3 %
SP: 5, 6 %.
MDG: 3, 3 %
KrF: 5, 1 %
Venstre: 5%
Høyre: 31, 3%
FrP: 14 %

The left have gained some lost ground since July, mostly because SV are now above the four percent threshold, and SP are trending upwards. AP is currently stuck at a rather low level, so the whole Taxi-thing might not have worked as well for Stoltenberg as they thought.

Høyre are still on course for their best election since the 1980s, but they are slowly losing support. Both Venstre and KrF are somewhat down since July. In today’s edition of Aftenposten (Norway’s biggest newspaper) the leaders from both parties are warning against a Høyre-FrP government. It is probably a strategy to gin up their own supporters, who aren’t that keen on a rightwing government. Depending on how Høyre and FrP react, this might cause problems for the center-right ahead of the election. It is because of this sort of bickering that the Norwegian right haven’t been able to do anything substantial since Kåre Willoch was prime minister in the first half of the 1980s.

The Greens are gaining support at a rapid rate, and if they continue they will break the four percent threshold, and will get 7-8 representatives. Most of their voters come from AP, but also from Venstre and SV. That is of course bad news for SV and Venstre, as they can’t afford to lose that many voters.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2013, 07:27:53 AM »

Is there some kind of "election-meter" or "election-cabin", which is an online test with 20-40 questions to find out which Norwegian party fits you best ?

Preferably in English (or maybe you can post the link and translate the questions to English for us ?)

Thx Wink
HansOslo
Rookie
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2013, 09:31:18 AM »

The link is here. Unfortunately it is in Norwegian. There is a long and a short version. I will try to get the short version (30 questions)  translated in a day or two.

http://www.aftenposten.no/spesial/Finn-ditt-parti-for-stortingsvalget-2013-med-Aftenpostens-valgomat--7268044.html
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2013, 10:58:10 AM »

H 42 %
Frp 40 %
V 35 %
Ap 31 %
KrF 29 %
Sp 25 %
MDG 17 %
R 14 %
SV 14 %

Pretty much as expected, but thought that the two first ones on my list would be the other way around. However, there were not really that many questions about immigration, law and order etc which I think might be the explanation. That would also explain why Venstre was somewhat higher than expected
HansOslo
Rookie
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2013, 11:51:11 AM »

Yeah, my impression is that most questions are along the axis of privatization - public ownership, and economic growth - environmentalism. There were rather few questions about immigration.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »

My results:

V - 28%
H - 26%
Frp - 25%
KrF - 22%
Sp - 21%
MdG - 16%
Ap - 16%
SV - 11%
R - 8%

No surprise in the ranking, but a bit shocked I agree so little with any of the parties.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2013, 02:34:24 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies