Presidential Press Conference
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:11:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Presidential Press Conference
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Presidential Press Conference  (Read 4780 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2004, 07:48:27 PM »

JLD-

This is a technicality that will soon be remedied. I have discussed this with Secretary of Forum Affairs Demrepdan and he will have a text shortly. Once this is finalized I will leave it to the individual members of the Constitutional Convention to decide whether they feel they have changed their positions and want a new vote, or whether they want to allow their previous votes to stand. If anyone cast a vote but did not feel that they understood the overall concept of preferential voting, or if they change their opinion based on the specifics, then they definitely should be allowed to recast their vote.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2004, 07:49:21 PM »

It would ensure that whichever party has the broadest overall support would win, whomever that may be. And as is always true in politics, there is an ebb and flow in overall party membership and in political views among the people as a whole over time, so the long-range effects of preferential voting cannot be determined.

The individual voters can make up their own mind on their first, second, and third choices, independent of their party affiliation, and the will of the people would be best upheld by a preferential system.

Wasn't the original point of all this, sir, to create mock-up of US government as closely as possible?  Isn't this plan, well, blatantly un-American in it's nature?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2004, 07:50:57 PM »

ShapeShifter--

I feel that each voter should make up their own mind who they should vote for, yes. Crossing party lines is something that can and does happen in politics, and I feel that we should encourage voters to think for themselves and not blindly vote the party line. No party or candidate has any right to feel that they "own" anyone's vote. That being said, I hope that voters of all political persuasions will support my reelection.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2004, 07:53:04 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2004, 07:53:40 PM by Nym90 »

Supersoulty--

No, the Constitution was created by the Atlas Forum members on its own, and was not in any way, shape, or form intended to mimic that of the US government. Certainly we should include those elements of the US system which are deemed to be right and proper, but I feel that we should consider good ideas from all around the world and not merely follow the US system. Any system, no matter how great, can still be improved upon.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2004, 07:55:51 PM »

Supersoulty--

No, the Constitution was created by the Atlas Forum members on its own, and was not in any way, shape, or form intended to mimic that of the US government. Certainly we should include those elements of the US system which are deemed to be right and proper, but I feel that we should consider good ideas from all around the world and not merely follow the US system. Any system, no matter how great, can still be improved upon.

So you honestly believe that Preferential voting is an improvement on the system?  Would you like ot see this done in the US?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2004, 07:58:10 PM »

Nym (or anyone else),

Can someone clarify for the record:
1.) When the presidential election will take place
2.) When the Senate elections will take place
3.) When and how often the census and/or redistribution of Senate districts will occur. (I realize the REGIONS are permanent.

I'm sure this info is somewhere on the board, but it would be helpful if it were repeated where people are likely to read.

Thanks!

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2004, 07:59:02 PM »

I do support preferential voting, yes. As I am not the US President, nor do I hold any other elected position in the US government, my opinion on that matter is of much less relevance. Even if I was, I do not foresee that being proposed as a Constitutional Amendment in the near future.

That being said, it is my opinion that preferential voting is a superior system to the Electoral College or to the popular vote, for the reasons that have been previously stated.
dunn

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2004, 08:01:37 PM »

Nym (or anyone else),

Can someone clarify for the record:
1.) When the presidential election will take place
2.) When the Senate elections will take place
3.) When and how often the census and/or redistribution of Senate districts will occur. (I realize the REGIONS are permanent.

I'm sure this info is somewhere on the board, but it would be helpful if it were repeated where people are likely to read.

Thanks!

http://www.geocities.com/demrepdan/forum-constitution2
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2004, 08:01:42 PM »

I do support preferential voting, yes. As I am not the US President, nor do I hold any other elected position in the US government, my opinion on that matter is of much less relevance. Even if I was, I do not foresee that being proposed as a Constitutional Amendment in the near future.

That being said, it is my opinion that preferential voting is a superior system to the Electoral College or to the popular vote, for the reasons that have been previously stated.

Thank you Mr. President, your none answer told me what I needed to know.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2004, 08:03:57 PM »

ShapeShifter--

I feel that each voter should make up their own mind who they should vote for, yes. Crossing party lines is something that can and does happen in politics, and I feel that we should encourage voters to think for themselves and not blindly vote the party line. No party or candidate has any right to feel that they "own" anyone's vote. That being said, I hope that voters of all political persuasions will support my reelection.

So, you would endorse a Republican canidate over a Democratic canidate?

So, we should disregard party unity? It would be okay for a democratic member of the forum to run against you?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2004, 08:09:51 PM »

Thanks for the link to the Constitution, Dunn.

NickG--the elections will be held in the last weekend of April for the midterms, and last weekend in June for the Presidential Election.

Shapeshifter--

No, I am definitely not saying that we should disregard party unity. I strongly favor members of my own party, as they tend to share my goals, ideals, values, and positions on issues. But I was elected as President of all of the Forum, not just my party. I am not going to place a litmus test on my endorsements and ignore members of other parties.

Any person who desires to run for President can do so.

MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2004, 08:10:30 PM »

Mr. President-

What would do feel about the recent actions of our Chairman, Miamiu? This is not only about his recent "endorsements" but his back room deals etc.?
ShapeShifter

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2004, 08:12:57 PM »

Mr. President-

What would do feel about the recent actions of our Chairman, Miamiu? This is not only about his recent "endorsements" but his back room deals etc.?

I second this question. Ditto
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2004, 08:13:52 PM »

My opinion is that our chairman has the right to make endorsements, and that his endorsements, as chairman of the AFDNC, can be given whatever significance the individual voters choose to give to them. However, there have not been any official decisions regarding these matters, and thus members should not assume that MiamiU speaks for my positions.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2004, 08:23:59 PM »

The Presidential Press Conference is now closed, thanks to all who were able to attend.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies