How did coal miners vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:28:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How did coal miners vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How did coal miners vote?  (Read 11393 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 10:27:12 PM »

Likewise in the Deep South, the white vote went massively GOP and I assume that includes those in unions.

There aren't that many union members in the Deep South anymore, because of the violent anti-union thuggery there.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 11:04:44 PM »

Likewise in the Deep South, the white vote went massively GOP and I assume that includes those in unions.

There aren't that many union members in the Deep South anymore, because of the violent anti-union thuggery there.

True there are not a lot, but even of the one's there are I am pretty sure Romney handidly won them.  Lets remember not all union members vote the way their leadership tells them to.  Many nowadays have above average salaries so someone who wants lower taxes would appeal to them.  Also the idea of smaller government is a view widely held by many Americans across the country from a wide variety of groups so running a platform of bigger government and making the US more like Canada and Europe it is not something that will win you many votes even amongst unionized workers.  Most union workers are quite patriotic too and want to maintain American values.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 11:21:28 PM »

And Northern Alabama does qualify for ARC fundng.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 05:51:06 PM »

We know that coal mining areas swung heavily against Obama this year. But how about miners themselves? Any information/estimates on how they voted in 2008 and how they voted in 2012?

Almost certainly Obama.

lol, didn't you refuse to believe that manufacturing or construction workers could vote for Obama on the basis that unions endorsed him and that it'd be "hard to see guys in hard hats voting Romney.

In fact, the UMW stayed neutral and didn't endorse. The fact one of the traditionally most Democratic friendly unions didn't back an incumbent Democratic president with at least middling national popularity speaks volumes as to how much miners dislike Obama's energy policies.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 06:09:39 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2013, 06:11:34 PM by Badger »

True there are not a lot, but even of the one's there are I am pretty sure Romney handidly won them.  Lets remember not all union members vote the way their leadership tells them to.  Many nowadays have above average salaries so someone who wants lower taxes would appeal to them.  Also the idea of smaller government is a view widely held by many Americans across the country from a wide variety of groups so running a platform of bigger government and making the US more like Canada and Europe it is not something that will win you many votes even amongst unionized workers.  Most union workers are quite patriotic too and want to maintain American values.

This analysis is rather simplistic. Union membership tends to be one of the few factors measured to moify the voting habits of whites (especially white males). No, it doesn't work en masse, obviously, and I'd still expect a white service union member in Alabama to more likely vote Republican vs. a white member of the same union in Vermont for a variety of cultural reasons. But push comes to shove the absense of strong unions are a notable factor in low Democratic voters among Southern whites (though by no means the only, or arguably even the largest reason).
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 06:19:37 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2013, 06:21:58 PM by cope1989 »

This map was helpful:

I took the counties with at least 2 coal mines (and excluded Jefferson County, AL); the two-party-vote was 64/36 Romney.

I had no idea there were coal mines in Alabama up until I saw this.

Not too many, but that's where the southern end of Appalachia is.

The map doesn't really correspond perfectly with the Appalachians though. The spine of the mountain chain runs through north Georgia, the NC/TN border and SW Virginia, but there aren't any coal mines in those places. As far as I can tell, the areas with coal are found in a long vein running a bit west of the Appalachians. That area of Alabama is very hilly but not mountainous.

I think that geologically speaking, they should be considered as the southern foothills (or highlands) of the Appalachian mountains.  They are after all considered linked to the mountain chain by geologists.  

Yes, I can agree to that. There are many areas of Alabama that are quite mountainous, but that area west Birmingham isn't quite as rugged, it's more like foothills, as you said.

A map I just saw of the region classifies the coal mining region as being part of the Cumberland plateau, just west of the blue ridge province.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies