How did coal miners vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:23:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How did coal miners vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How did coal miners vote?  (Read 11391 times)
Nichlemn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2013, 06:05:37 PM »

We know that coal mining areas swung heavily against Obama this year. But how about miners themselves? Any information/estimates on how they voted in 2008 and how they voted in 2012?
Jackson
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:07:31 PM »

They didn't vote.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »

We know that coal mining areas swung heavily against Obama this year. But how about miners themselves? Any information/estimates on how they voted in 2008 and how they voted in 2012?

Almost certainly Obama.
Nichlemn

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 04:55:36 PM »

Almost certainly Obama.

lol, didn't you refuse to believe that manufacturing or construction workers could vote for Obama on the basis that unions endorsed him and that it'd be "hard to see guys in hard hats voting Romney?"

I'd like to see how you reconcile this with the votes and swings in coal counties. It's mathematically possible I guess... but I'd like to hear your estimates for miners and non-miners in coal counties, in 2008 and in 2012.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »

lol, didn't you refuse to believe that manufacturing or construction workers could vote for Obama on the basis that unions endorsed him and that it'd be "hard to see guys in hard hats voting Romney?"

Uh, Romney is the rich people's candidate.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 05:11:07 PM »

Before very recently - almost certainly Democrat, and mostly they still do.

Some voted for McCain and Bush, others stuck with their roots. Only in this election did they largely vote Democrat.
Nichlemn

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2013, 05:43:36 PM by Nichlemn »

Cool story bro. Despite your wishful thinking, there are a number of poor demographics that certainly voted Romney. Why, Clay County, Kentucky's poorest county (and the country's poorest non-Hispanic white majority county) by per-capita income voted 84% Romney.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »

Cool story bro. Despite your wishful thinking, there are a number of poor demographics that certainly voted Romney. Why, Kentucky's poorest county by per-capita income (Clay) voted 84% Romney.

I'm from Kentucky.
Nichlemn

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 05:44:01 PM »

Cool story bro. Despite your wishful thinking, there are a number of poor demographics that certainly voted Romney. Why, Kentucky's poorest county by per-capita income (Clay) voted 84% Romney.

I'm from Kentucky.

Do you know everybody in Kentucky?
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 05:56:37 PM »

Um, you need to just stop with this. Your insistence that all working class people voted Obama is just fantasy, no matter how much you (and I) want it to be true. Occupation and class is becoming a secondary factor in political preference, overshadowed by race, religion, ethnicity and sexual orientation. You know this.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 05:59:02 PM »

I'm from Kentucky.

Do you know everybody in Kentucky?
He's from the Cincinnati suburbs.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 07:11:47 PM »

Um, you need to just stop with this. Your insistence that all working class people voted Obama is just fantasy, no matter how much you (and I) want it to be true. Occupation and class is becoming a secondary factor in political preference, overshadowed by race, religion, ethnicity and sexual orientation. You know this.

Bingo, and it will be this way for decades to come.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 08:17:20 PM »

Occupation and class are still very much an important part of political preference (not allegiance, as America doesn't really have parties the way other "Western" countries do) in the US of A, albeit perhaps not as directly as in the past.

Btw: there never was a time when all or anywhere near all working class people voted monolithically Democratic.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 03:13:26 PM »

This map was helpful:

I took the counties with at least 2 coal mines (and excluded Jefferson County, AL); the two-party-vote was 64/36 Romney.
Gunnar Larsson
Rookie
Sweden

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »

This map was helpful:

I took the counties with at least 2 coal mines (and excluded Jefferson County, AL); the two-party-vote was 64/36 Romney.

So, basically they switched to the Republicans on a rather massive scale and was the cause of much of the really large changes in vote margin.

Somewhat off-topic, does anyone know why that county in south eastern Ohio had a big switch to the Democrats, it looks quite lonely..
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 05:41:21 PM »

Most depressing map of this cycle.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 05:41:49 PM »

Somewhat off-topic, does anyone know why that county in south eastern Ohio had a big switch to the Democrats, it looks quite lonely..

It has a fairly large city (Marietta).
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 08:50:05 PM »

It didn't - the map is wrong. It swung to Romney.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 01:44:39 AM »

This map was helpful:

I had no idea there were coal mines in Alabama up until I saw this.
freefair
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »

Why? It shows the deep south slightly trending Democratic!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 03:20:40 PM »

This map was helpful:

Not too many, but that's where the southern end of Appalachia is.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 03:40:03 PM »

Why? It shows the deep south slightly trending Democratic!

Doesn't matter a bit except maybe in Georgia.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 07:40:28 PM »

This map was helpful:

The map doesn't really correspond perfectly with the Appalachians though. The spine of the mountain chain runs through north Georgia, the NC/TN border and SW Virginia, but there aren't any coal mines in those places. As far as I can tell, the areas with coal are found in a long vein running a bit west of the Appalachians. That area of Alabama is very hilly but not mountainous.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 10:21:15 PM »

I am pretty sure they voted for Romney.  Lets remember this demographic is overwhelmingly white male and pretty much however you slice it, the white male vote favoured Romney.  Only in the more liberal states did Obama win amongst white males.  Unlike in some countries in Europe, income tends to have less impact on one's voting behavior the age, marital status, religion, gender, and race.  Obama's stronger showing amongst low income people probably has more to do with the fact there are more minorities in lower income groups, more young people (most people in their 20s unless they live at home tend to have lower lower incomes as you work your way up the chain), females, unmarried single occupant households (even if their individual income is above the national average, there are more individuals who make under $50,000 a year than above so a household with two working occupants will likely more than one).  Also even if Romney is seen as being for the rich, there isn't a strong left wing solidarity in the US.  Most miners cannot stand the environmentalists and would much rather vote for someone who will ignore them than listen to them.  In the Pacific Northwest, Forks is a strong logging town and it usually goes over 60% GOP due to their dislike of the environmentalist.  Likewise in the Deep South, the white vote went massively GOP and I assume that includes those in unions.  Likewise those in public sector unions are far more likely to vote Democrat than those in private sector unions.  The police, firefighters, and border patrol are about the only public sector unions I can think of that Romney may have won amongst.  One's like postal workers I am sure went pretty heavily for Obama.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 10:26:41 PM »

This map was helpful:

The map doesn't really correspond perfectly with the Appalachians though. The spine of the mountain chain runs through north Georgia, the NC/TN border and SW Virginia, but there aren't any coal mines in those places. As far as I can tell, the areas with coal are found in a long vein running a bit west of the Appalachians. That area of Alabama is very hilly but not mountainous.

I think that geologically speaking, they should be considered as the southern foothills (or highlands) of the Appalachian mountains.  They are after all considered linked to the mountain chain by geologists.   
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies