Robert Caro's LBJ books: Great or hit pieces?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:27:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Robert Caro's LBJ books: Great or hit pieces?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Robert Caro's LBJ books: Great or hit pieces?  (Read 654 times)
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: 0.02

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2013, 01:55:17 AM »

Are they legitimate, great works, or are they Conservative-esque/anti-LBJ hit pieces? I've heard that they are very anti-LBJ from some, and that they're very good from others....
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:38:04 AM »

Are they legitimate, great works, or are they Conservative-esque/anti-LBJ hit pieces? I've heard that they are very anti-LBJ from some, and that they're very good from others....

I don't see how this is an either/or question when both/and is a perfectly legitimate stance to take.

But, to the extent they're anti-LBJ, my sense is that they criticize him from the left, or at least from a non-partisan stance that is focused on process and integrity, and is not "right wing" by any stretch of the imagination.  Caro is certainly a liberal, in any case.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 12:34:52 PM »

Means of Ascent was the most hit piecey; one can see why the Johnson family hated him. But I got the distinct sense even then that he wasn't a conservative, and part of him actually admires Johnson's ruthlessness.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »

I own, have read and love all the Caro books. Caro's criticism of LBJ is on ethics, opportunism, character and ideologically, criticizing him from the left. I'd call them masterpieces of political biography.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 12:44:33 PM »

Why are the two mutually exclusive?
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: 0.02

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 12:49:28 PM »

Conservatives have their agenda--Defund every program going back to TR. Anything written by a modern day Conservative isn't something I can support.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 01:08:17 PM »

Best political biography in history. No, they are not "hit pieces". And, most definitely, they are not written from any identifiable "Conservative" (small or large "c") standpoint (the implicit criticism of the main character, whenever it is there, does not come from the "right" at all).  Caro is interested in how power works in government. That is what he is examining in great detail. Now, LBJ was a master of power - so there is a lot to explore. And, naturally, power is not about being an altar boy, singing pretty. And LBJ was not an altar boy. So, there is a lot of ugly stuff there. But  it is all meticulously researched and wonderfully written. A must read for anyone interested in politics.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »

Conservatives have their agenda--Defund every program going back to TR. Anything written by a modern day Conservative isn't something I can support.

You need to disabuse yourself of the notion that (sharp) criticism of LBJ or any other "liberal hero" is necessarily motivated by conservative goals, or even that anything written by people with ideological predilections not your own is worthless, and only worth opposing instead of grappling with.  Down that path lies an intellectual and moral desert, and, ultimately, ruin.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 01:43:29 PM »

It's not anti-LBJ, it's more about showing the man for who he really is.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 03:09:49 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2013, 03:11:52 PM by The Mikado »

Probably the most powerful bit to me is the Leland Olds chapter, showing how Johnson adapted McCarthyite tactics to smear Olds, a talented career bureaucrat in rural electrification, as a communist to prevent his reappointment.  It's a disgraceful story.

EDIT: That's not getting into his blatantly rigged "victory" over Coke Stevenson in 1948.

They're great books, but LBJ did a lot of horrible, horrible stuff over his career and Caro airs it all.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies