Now that libertarianism is dead, how should the parties realign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:28:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Now that libertarianism is dead, how should the parties realign
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Now that libertarianism is dead, how should the parties realign  (Read 849 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2016, 10:49:52 AM »

From 2008-2015, it seemed obvious that the GOP had to become socially liberal to survive. Likewise, the Democrats needed to become more fiscally conservative.

But now in 2016, all has changed. Imo, I think the Democrats should embrace a pro-life agenda to attract people like me using the mantle of John Bel Edwards. Likewise, I think the GOP needs to become more economically populist in the vein of Donald Trump to attract more voters like me.

What do you all think?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 11:10:31 AM »

The libertarian movement is still alive.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 11:15:03 AM »

So everyone should try to attract you.

Keep dreamin'!  As much as the "I am fiscally conservative but don't care about social issues!" thing gets made fun of, those folks (and the social conservatives who'd pick fiscal issues at the end of the day) far outnumber so-called economic populists in the GOP.  Until poor minorities (or in older times poor immigrants like the Irish) aren't loyal to the Dems, they're not fully abandoning fiscal populism (which they defiantly moved back toward this election), and that has never been the case in the party's history ... I don't see it changing.  Similarly, as long as a significant chunk of wealthy Whites and the business community are in the GOP's camp, they're not going to abandon running on fewer taxes and less regulation ... Don't see that changing either.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 11:15:52 AM »

It's not nearly as influential anymore.

The media thought it was libertarianism that the masses were demanding in 2010.

Turns out it's just non-ideological fury.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 11:28:39 AM »

From 2008-2015, it seemed obvious that the GOP had to become socially liberal to survive. Likewise, the Democrats needed to become more fiscally conservative.

But now in 2016, all has changed. Imo, I think the Democrats should embrace a pro-life agenda to attract people like me using the mantle of John Bel Edwards. Likewise, I think the GOP needs to become more economically populist in the vein of Donald Trump to attract more voters like me.

What do you all think?

Then they will lose some pro-choice people. There is no middle ground here. You're pretty much either for it or against it. The abortion issue is very divisive - It's why both parties use it so extensively.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 11:31:08 AM »

Let me be clear since some are new here: this is a parody post of this forum from years past.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 02:18:34 PM »

Let me be clear since some are new here: this is a parody post of this forum from years past.

LOL, okay, sorry!

And have you decided that your views would hold more weight/make your right more worth while in the Democratic Party (avatar switch)?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies