What if McCain had won?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 07:09:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  What if McCain had won?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: How far should this go?
2008-2012

2012-2016

2016-2020

2020-2024

2024-2038

2028-2032

2032 or further

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: What if McCain had won?  (Read 6270 times)
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2013, 04:33:17 PM »

I'm going to do this just for the fun of it, and I want to see how far It'll go...

I already know that Its very impossible for this to happen, but what if John McCain, and Sarah Palin had won in 2008? You could change the Rep. VP, and/or the Dem. VP, or the entire Dem. ticket, I am just seeing how this could change America. I doubt if this will go any further then 2032
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »

nothing? C'mon, well I guess my thought on this was right...
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 05:26:11 PM »

Okay, I should jumpstart this:

Rep: McCain/Palin

Dem: Biden/Lieberman
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 05:40:46 PM »

Lieberman endorsed McCain early on, so I find it highly unlikely he'd be VP to Biden.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 05:46:28 PM »

okay then,

McCain/Palin

Biden/Kutchnich
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 05:49:20 PM »

I've got it.
McCain/Palin
Clinton/Bayh.  Lots of progressives and young voters would either vote for Nader or just not be enthused enough to vote. 
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 05:50:44 PM »

nice,

Romney/Palin

Bayh/H. Clinton
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 06:13:46 PM »

Maps anyone?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 08:25:09 PM »

Here's best case scenario for McCain:

McCain / Palin vs. Edwards / anyone.

Here's what happens.  The news about the affair breaks in late September or October.  Edwards refuses to step down and allow the DNC to pick a new nominee, saying he was chosen by the people of the Democratic Party to be their candidate.  He tanks all 3 debates with McCain.  Palin is prepped for the interview with Katy Couric.  Best case scenario for all Republicans.  For national Republicans, the GOP has a chance at taking back both houses of Congress.  Something like this is possible:

Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »

nice, so what happens from 2008-2012?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »

Work with Congress to reform healthcare by allowing insurance to be night across state lines, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan continue, war in Lybia, perhaps Syria.  Definitely more outspoken support of Iran's Green Revolution and 2009 election protestors.  Perhaps "mission accomplished" in Iraq shortly before the 2012 election.  Democrats probably take Congress in 2010; if so the Bush Tax Cuts might be repealed.  But I think McCain's leadership would be much stronger than Obama's more behind-the-scenes approach - and inspire more confidence in the economy.  All in all the economy might be on the rebound much earlier, I think unemployment could be near 5-6%.  And thus the 2012 election's main focus would be the wars and McCain's age, not the economy.

Oh and maybe 2 more conservatives on the Supreme Court Cheesy
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 08:54:26 PM »

Okay, this is what I'll add, McCain decides not to run for president, just to have an assurance of the Republicans in the White House. Vice President Palin runs for President. Who should she pick?

1. Condie Rice
2. Mitt Romney
3. Paul Ryan
4. Marco Rubio
5. Rand Paul
6. Jeb Bush
7. Rick Santorum
8. Newt Gingrich
9. Ron Paul
10. Mike Huckabee
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 02:17:45 AM »

Work with Congress to reform healthcare by allowing insurance to be night across state lines, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan continue, war in Lybia, perhaps Syria.  Definitely more outspoken support of Iran's Green Revolution and 2009 election protestors.  Perhaps "mission accomplished" in Iraq shortly before the 2012 election.  Democrats probably take Congress in 2010; if so the Bush Tax Cuts might be repealed.  But I think McCain's leadership would be much stronger than Obama's more behind-the-scenes approach - and inspire more confidence in the economy.  All in all the economy might be on the rebound much earlier, I think unemployment could be near 5-6%.  And thus the 2012 election's main focus would be the wars and McCain's age, not the economy.

Oh and maybe 2 more conservatives on the Supreme Court Cheesy

Unemployment goes down to 6% by 2012 by continuing the Iraq and Afghan wars and adding TWO MORE?!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 05:32:22 AM »

Didn't McCain say he wouldn't run for a second term?

Either way, whomever the Republican nominee is will be utterly destroyed in 2012.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 07:44:53 AM »

yeah, if he did, he would've lost to something like Obama/H. Clinton, H. Clinton/Bayh, or stuff like that.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 03:57:57 PM »

2012 Primaries (April):

Palin/Rice

Romney/Ryan

Santorum/Jeb Bush

Ron Paul/Fred Thompson
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 04:09:31 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2013, 04:18:11 PM by Jack Enderman »

May 2012, the Paul/Thompson campaign has been suspended.

2012 Primaries (June)

Palin/Rice

Romney/Ryan

Santorum/Jeb Bush

Ron Paul/Fred Thompson
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 04:56:45 PM »

Palin/Rice vs. Edwards/Bayh

Or that's my guess... 2012-2014?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 08:42:18 PM »

2012 Primaries (April):

Palin/Rice

Romney/Ryan

Santorum/Jeb Bush

Ron Paul/Fred Thompson
Candidates do not pick running mates in the primaries. And why would Ron Paul pick Fred Thompson?
Palin/Rice vs. Edwards/Bayh

Or that's my guess... 2012-2014?
Palin would be crushed in a landslide.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »

I don't understand
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 10:46:40 PM »

I think it would've been a catastrophe for the GOP. An all-out civil war once McCain starts trying to jam through cap-and-trade (which would be killed by red/purple staters on both sides, like Kyoto), perhaps a GOP version of Dodd-Frank, more illegal immigration bills. Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid get their supermajorities in 2010. The GOP nominee gets slaughtered in 2012. TP or an alternate version probably also gets into the action as well.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 09:49:31 PM »

I was thinking about this today.

Let's assume that the stock market crash happened in December 2008.

I'd imagine that Lindsey Graham, Joe Lieberman, Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, Jeb Bush, Jon Huntsman and Fred Thompson would have been in his cabinet.

At some point in early 2009, Obama would have to choose between running for a second term as Senator, or running for Governor of Illinois. He was getting bored as Senator, but a bid for Governor would have complicated his plans for 2012.

Democrats would have done better in the midterm and off-year elections.

In 2009, Bob McDonnell would still be elected Governor of Virginia, albeit with a smaller margin of the vote. Bloomberg would likely lose his reelection bid, while Corzine would probably win a second term in New Jersey.

In 2010, I would imagine Democratic victories in gubernatorial elections in Florida (depending on what Crist did), Michigan (assuming they fielded a better candidate), New Mexico, and Ohio. Eliot Cutler would likely have won in Maine. Pennsylvania, Iowa and Wisconsin would have been toss-ups.

Democrats would likely have kept the House. And with greater control over state governments, they probably would have gone with more favorable redistricting. I can't imagine that Scott Brown would have elected in Massachusetts, and Democrats would have likely won Senate elections in Illinois, Indiana (assuming Bayh stayed) Pennsylvania (assuming a Specter primary loss) and Wisconsin. Arizona would likely have been competitive. Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, North Carolina and New Hampshire might have been toss-ups.

I'd imagine McCain would announce in 2011 that he won't seek reelection. Palin would have been the overwhelming favorite for the Republicans. Possible primary opponents would have included Huntsman, Gingrich and Rick Perry.

The 2012 Democratic ticket would probably have been Hillary Clinton/ Senator Joe Sestak of Pennsylvania.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 10:02:44 PM »

Okay, this is what I'll add, McCain decides not to run for president, just to have an assurance of the Republicans in the White House. Vice President Palin runs for President. Who should she pick?

1. Condie Rice
2. Mitt Romney
3. Paul Ryan
4. Marco Rubio
5. Rand Paul
6. Jeb Bush
7. Rick Santorum
8. Newt Gingrich
9. Ron Paul
10. Mike Huckabee
Ron Paul's too old.

Rand Paul might not have had his moment in the sun.

Rick Santorum wouldn't have redeemed his reputation with a strong presidential primary. Much of his support would have gone to Palin.

Huckabee wouldn't offer Palin much.

Gingrich truly lacked discipline, although it's possible he would have gotten along well with Palin.

I don't know if Marco Rubio would have been elected to statewide office with McCain in the White House. But he would certainly be a contender.

Jeb Bush would have the last name, although it would also be a chance to get out of his brother's shadow.

The passionately pro-life Palin might not have picked Rice. But it would be bold to have two very different women on the ticket.

I don't know if Paul Ryan would have the chance to become a national figure.

If Romney was in McCain's cabinet, he might have been forced to make some unpopular decisions. Palin could be tempted to go with an outsider, although Romney's a dull enough choice.

Palin's other choices would be Jon Huntsman (see Romney), Bob McDonnell (Swing State Governor), Charlie Crist (depending on what happens to him in 2010), Brian Sandoval, John Thune (a respected Senator, the safest choice for a Palin type), Tim Pawlenty (though he might be in the cabinet) and Rob Portman (assuming he was in the Senate rather than the cabinet).
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 06:10:36 PM »

GUYS GUYS, I'm sorry that was the wrong map! D: I was going to start a new thread, and I forgot that I was still doing that one! I'm sorry. Sad
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 05:40:27 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2013, 04:14:36 PM by Jack Enderman »

Sorry I took so long guys, but I had other TL's in the works that made this tl be on "hold" for a while. so here's the 2012 Map,

Palin picked Rice for a mainly western approach, she did take for granted states like Indiana, Missouri, Ohio, and Florida; which the latter two had the votes on election day nearly tied. So, the all female ticket picked up smaller EV states, and some more Christian ones, like Oregon, Colorado, and more western states like Nevada, and New Mexico. So Here's the EV map:

Edwards/Bayh
Palin/Rice

update probably tomorrow... In the meantime, questions? Criticizes? Comments?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies