'04: Rudy wins GOP nomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:25:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  '04: Rudy wins GOP nomination
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: '04: Rudy wins GOP nomination  (Read 821 times)
dudeabides
Tuvalu
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:28:23 PM »
« edited: January 03, 2013, 03:31:15 PM by dudeabides »

June 5, 2004 - Rudy Giuliani wins GOP nomination

A long primary season between President George W. Bush and Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani of New York came to an end. Giuliani surprised many when he beat Bush in the New Hampshire primary. Although Bush would win 29 of 50 primary contests, Mr. Giuliani's wins in large states like Florida, California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, and others enabled him to take on President Bush and win a majority of delegates. After announcing his presidential bid in October 2003, Mr. Giuliani vowed to "Beat George Bush because he has not been aggressive enough in his foreign policy and he was not done enough to cut domestic spending here at home." While Giuliani has been supportive of President Bush's tax cuts, he has argued for a greater U.S. military presence in Afghanistan, less federal spending at home, and he has argued against banning same-sex marriage.

June 10, 2004 - In speech, Kerry shifts strategy

Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) his party's presidential nominee fully expected to run against President George W. Bush. But, the Massachusetts Senator outlined his case against Rudy Giuliani in a speech in Lebanon, Ohio. Kerry stated that "In an era when George Bush has stretched our military thin, Rudy Giuliani has argued to send more troops off to war. In an era when George Bush has cut spending on education and health care, Rudy Giuliani has argued for greater cuts in federal funding of crucial programs. Rudy Giuliani wants to continue to give tax breaks to millionaires while your family suffers."

August 1, 2004 - Giuliani announces McCain as VP Pick

At a rally in Morristown, New Jersey, Rudy Giuliani announced his selection of Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) as his running mate in the 2004 election. McCain had been the only prominent republican, along with Sen. Norm Coleman (R-MN) to endorse Giuliani over President Bush in the 2004 primary. Giuliani called McCain "An experienced leader who understands the need to defend our country and exercise fiscal discipline. He's a friend of mine, and he has served America well."

August 12, 2004 - Kerry picks Clark for VP

Democratic Presidential Nominee Sen. John Kerry selected Retired General and Former Rival Wesley Clark (D-AR) for Vice President on the Democratic ticket. Kerry said "Wes Clark is willing to again serve America as Vice President. He will play a crucial role in helping build a stronger america."

October 27, 2004 - Final presidential debate

In the final presidential debate, each candidate gave their closing statements. Rudy Giuliani stated "Whether the issue be defending our country, growing our economy, keeping taxes low, or being fiscally responsible, I have a record of producing and getting results. As President, my top priorities will be to defend our homeland, make sure we defeat islamic extremism, reduce federal spending, keep taxes low, and have an American energy policy that works. My opponent contradicts himself on a daily basis. His view of the world is one which puts the national security decisions of the United States in the hands of other countries. His views here at home are more in line with Europe than America." John Kerry stated "While Rudy Giuliani offers Americans more war, cuts in crucial domestic programs, and tax breaks for the rich, I offer Americans leadership. I have fought your fights for 30 years, and I will continue to fight for you as President."

Giuliani elected by solid majority, GOP keeps congress

Rudy Giuliani was elected President of the United States in the largest electoral victory since 1984. Focusing on "fiscal discipline here at home and security in the world", Americans cited national security as the dominant issue in the 2004 campaign, with 61% of those who cited it as the major issue stating they voted for the Giuliani/McCain ticket.

Giuliani/McCain (R) 57% 349 EV
Kerry/Clark (D) 42% 189 EV

To be continued...
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »

nice... keep going...
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:35:30 PM »

how far do you think it should go?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:40:19 PM »

AWESOME STUFF!  But this should be in the main thread.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies