The Big Bad Swedish Politics & News Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:30:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Big Bad Swedish Politics & News Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Big Bad Swedish Politics & News Thread  (Read 137249 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: June 22, 2015, 04:24:25 PM »

File this under "ironic": the Green co-leader and environment minister has been caught coating her houseboat with environmentally hazardous anti-fouling toxic paint (which is illegal under both Swedish and EU law), and has attempted to wriggle out of it on a loophole. lmao
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 10:01:52 AM »

Apparently it's advertisements aimed at tourists (it's written in broken English for one) apologising about the "mess" from beggars and tourists and promising to be the true opposition. It's an intriguing idea - I've never really heard of a political campaign being aimed entirely at people who can't vote.
; but it seems the hippies are really irked by public transport being used to advertise for the SD's.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 11:33:50 AM »

It is an intriguing technique from an electoral standpoint. In fact it is the obvious situation from, say, Denmark and the Netherlands etc. in those countries, pretty much every party's immigration platform crept rightwards to follow the new populist upstarts lead (aside from parties whose 'branding' is solidly anti-populist, even elitist - your Radikal Venstre's and D66's). In Sweden, we have seen very little attempts to emulate the SD's platform from neither parties of the left nor the parties of the right; in direct contrast to considerable shifts in immigration policy from various disparate governments (Rutte, Cameron, Thoning-Schmidt, Hollande and Stubb).

We can see this strategy of ignoring surging right populists in a few other countries: Merkel's government has largely ignored AfD's and other's complaints about immigration; Faymann and Renzi seem to take rising populist rightists in their stride as well; but only in Sweden do we see the entire "establishment" locking right-populists from power (well, maybe in Germany; but they have a historical reason).

Is this a wise strategy? I see two arguments countering each other. I suppose the one people agree with probably depends on their pre-existing views:

"this is a wise strategy. Other countries' parties attempts to emulate right-populist platforms did nothing to stem their rise and instead emboldened them. The SD's will have a natural ceiling  in the population which locks them from power - it's best to not engage with them or legitimise until they fizzle out like, say, Vlaams Belang or the BNP did."

"This is not a wise strategy. Ignoring the populists' demands will enrage them and cause them to grow even more; while giving dissatisfied citizens an untested outlet to express their rage. An unchecked angry group of populists would cause chaos in both a parliamentary context (with SD's wrecking bills) and in an extraparliamentary sense".
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 02:28:42 PM »

Is there any cooperation on the local level, or are the SD's persona non gratae even at the municipal level?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 02:53:47 PM »

Stockholm has always been a bourgeois city with little in the way of the union base that social democrats base their success on.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 05:52:39 PM »

centre Party has changed its mind on NATO to be more in line with its Alliance Partners.

Swedes, what are the chances of you joining the Organisation?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 03:47:29 PM »

So, what will the cast aside youth-wing do? Is Ohlson some Malema-esque rabble raiser?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 10:14:40 AM »

People missed my question, so I'll ask again: is Sweden likely to join NATO in the near future?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »

Yes, I distinctly remember Lofven backing down on a promise to recognise the Armenian genocide, although I may have imagined that. Still, at least th government is trying, I guess.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 04:53:40 PM »

Could the Centre Party realign to the left like in Norway?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 12:54:33 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/police-called-to-meeting-of-beard-fans-in-sweden-after-passer-by-confuses-them-with-isis-terrorists-a6690711.html
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 08:33:43 AM »

I swear to God, if you guys keep derailing this thread any longer by turning it into yet another thread where people name call others for being racist or what ever I will pull a Politicus and delete it. The thread is here for people to have sensible discussions about Swedish news and politics, not whether you think Denmark is the worst thing on this planet. Which is a ridiculous discussion that has no place here.

Tbh this thread's deviation is rather chararistic of modern Swedish politics as a whole, is it not?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 05:37:19 PM »

People angry at the moderates for opening up to SD, it would seem.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 09:23:33 PM »

Social Democrats are messaging  rightwards in the law and order sphere (trigger warning: politico)

http://www.politico.eu/article/stefan-lofven-swedish-pms-pledge-no-more-mr-nice-guy/
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 08:52:46 AM »

could the Liberals or Centre ever support (or join) a Social Democratic government?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies