Which of the following best describes your neighborhood?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:53:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which of the following best describes your neighborhood?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Which of the following best describes your neighborhood?
Urban core

Streetcar Suburb

Post war Suburb

Modern Suburb

Rural

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Which of the following best describes your neighborhood?  (Read 7392 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2013, 10:40:54 PM »

Milton Keynes is a New Town - a centrally planned settlement - and so has nothing in common with urban development in the U.S. It's grid-based layout is also (famously) unusual and distinctive.

Well, New Towns tend to take their inspiration from the sorts of building forms found in historical streetcar suburbs, so that's why I went with it as the closest analogue.  But yeah, MK is somewhat unique.

The centers of older small towns probably fall under the same banner as well, at least those which have grown to some size or have been swallowed up in some other metro area.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2013, 10:46:54 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2013, 11:10:18 PM by Rockefeller »

My neighborhood was built in three stages and straddles the postwar/modern suburb categories.

Phase 1/2 is composed of homes built somewhere between 1975-1985, which I would consider postwar due to their strikingly Nixonian architecture (Ranch style homes).  Phase 3 (where I live) is a modern suburb, with 1990s/early 2000s McMansions.   

Phase 4 is currently being built, so I guess it would classify as a modern suburb.  However, the homes are most similar to those in the "Streetcar Suburb" picture.

In my neck of the woods, the style of homes tends to be the following:

--Antebellum; 1830s-1870s

--Victorian; 1870s-1910s

--Craftsman; 1910s-1940s

--Post-War/Nixonian; 1940s-1980s

--McMansion/Clintonian; 1980s-2000s

--Craftsman Revival; 2000s-present

So this is basically the variety of single-family homes in Starkville, Mississippi.

So, my neighborhood is basically a combination of post-war, Clintonian, and Craftsman Revival architecture.   
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2013, 11:36:28 PM »

I guess my village was built in stages too.

Originals (built by the feds in the 30s):

Most of the rest is ranch houses, some of them are well bigger and usually built later:

or

And then there are some areas that have the expensive, newer houses:

Then there's the unique downtown:

Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2013, 11:59:15 PM »

In Nashvillle: Post-war suburb,
before when I was near Memphis - modern suburb
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2013, 12:23:42 AM »

Here's how I would map Shelby Co. TN based on those 5 categories
(Blue=Urban, Green=Streetcar, Purple=Postwar, Red=ModernBurb, Yellow=rural)

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2013, 01:24:02 AM »

Would say postwar.
It's a mobile home park, but much more nicer, with grass and middle class people who wanted to be able to have more money for other things.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2013, 01:32:04 AM »

I largely agree with Don's map. And I like (and rather dislike) how it shows how few people live in the old parts of town. But you can't blame them. Except for a few select areas in downtown and midtown, they're some of the worst slums in America.  We're such a suburban town, even if 2/3 of the county population falls into our municipal boundaries. And it's also funny that almost all of the postwar areas inside the 240 loop are white and almost all the postwar areas outside the loop (except for the tony neighborhoods along Poplar of course) are black.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2013, 08:30:48 AM »

Somewhat between postwar and modern - where I live was only built in the mid-1970s.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »

"Streetcar suburb" would be the best fit, I suppose, not that it looks anything like the picture.  Most of the housing is late C19/early C20, and before that it was rural.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »

"Streetcar suburb" would be the best fit, I suppose, not that it looks anything like the picture.  Most of the housing is late C19/early C20, and before that it was rural.

By-law housing?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2013, 12:18:11 PM »

By-law housing?

Yes.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2013, 12:31:11 PM »

What I also failed to make clear is that one needs not live in a large city to play this game. In my part of the world, small towns usually have a town square urban core. The county courthouse will be in the center of the square if the town is a county seat. And the progession through time and space works pretty much in the same fashion as in the big cities. I very much like the old town squares. Usually has two or three storey buildings with a small movie theater, a local newspaper, a cafe or two. Maybe a general doctor or law office. I suppose there was once retail too,but the larger stores further out put an end to that. And it started long before WalMart. Sears was supplanting the little shops long before anybody had heard of Sam Walton. Collierville, an upscale suburb of Memphis, that was once a small town has a particularly nice town square. Right next to the railroad tracks that no longer facilitate the movement of people but still is a bustling freight corridor. Especially when decorated for Christmas, it is adorable out there. But that's a special case of boutique shops for people with money. Not sure if I'd classify it as urban core or modern suburb. The world so frequently resists the human impulse to categorize.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 02:02:29 PM »

The thought of new developments being built as "Streetcar Suburbs" is heartening.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2013, 02:04:23 PM »

Modern Suburb; I think the oldest home here was built in 2003. It might be more interesting to live in a rural area or urban core though.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2013, 03:37:27 PM »

The thought of new developments being built as "Streetcar Suburbs" is heartening.
The reality is not quite there. Nor could it be without the streetcar. We're still very much an auto oriented country. There are a few supercute little neighborhoods in my hometown with the small lot size, craftsman architecture, and old fashioned streetlamps. But they're still modern subdivisions with streets that do not connect to the rest of town except for one or two exits which lead to a stop light and a major intersection. One developlment got really cute and got permission from the city to build a traffic circle rather than a stop light. And they're on an island in the Mississippi River right next to downtown.  But it's still modern suburbia.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »

D, very much so. My home was built in 2004.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2013, 10:13:37 PM »

Richie Rich Ville Super Conservative Suburb... just like I like it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2013, 10:32:33 PM »

Richie Rich Ville Super Conservative Suburb... just like I like it.

Again, different strokes. I'm sincerly glad it makes you happy even though it would not be my cup of tea. Do you attend church out there? Seems like a requisite for conservative burb life as it's the only way to break the sterile isolation of living out there. That and the country clubs. Until you have kids, and your life begins to revolve around an endless series of little sports and music activities. Also, are the design aesthetics to your liking? That, cost, and the tyranny of distance would be the biggest hurdles for me. But again, very glad to hear that you are happy with your arrangement. Far too many people cannot say the same thing.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2013, 10:26:46 AM »

Something like this: https://maps.google.com/?ll=45.444378,-75.540061&spn=0.005156,0.011362&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=45.444381,-75.542111&panoid=CIah5uMfszTtCyCtplJnag&cbp=12,86.47,,0,2.62

So, definitely a modern suburb - though more from the mid-80s than in the past decade (unlike the Avalon or Chapel Hill South part of Orleans). Rural areas and post-war suburbs are really nearby.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2013, 10:37:12 AM »

By-law housing?

Yes.
Another British term that needs explanation.

By-law housing refers, as far as I understand it, to working class housing that retained the more desired features of the English slum (ie single-unit row houses small enough to be affordable to absolutely everyone) but had some space behind them and wider streets before them, and take their name from the fact that they were built after the (in industrial Britain, rather belated) emergence of and in accordance with local building ordinances.
Anything I missed?

Some of the 1920s/30s Neues Frankfurt estates took inspiration from that.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies