Which of the following best describes your neighborhood?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:58:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which of the following best describes your neighborhood?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Which of the following best describes your neighborhood?
Urban core

Streetcar Suburb

Post war Suburb

Modern Suburb

Rural

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Which of the following best describes your neighborhood?  (Read 7391 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 07:31:01 PM »

Postwar suburb is the best description, full of small 1950's ranch-style houses.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 09:50:06 PM »

Same, but the modern suburb up the street from me is more apartment/townhouses than cookie cutter gated subdivisions shown in the OP.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 09:55:09 PM »

For the purposes of this thread urban/suburban/rural refer not to legal municipal, but rather styles of development. I tried to get pictures from a variety of locations to be as fair as possible. Postwar suburb for me, though I would like to move to streetcar one day. Unwilling to ditch my car and parking is way too much of a hassle in Urban Core.

Urban Core:

Streetcar Suburb

Postwar Suburb

Modern Suburb

Rural

This is far more idealism. Especially London.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 10:09:49 PM »

Hmmn, somewhere between the first and second categories, but Australian cities work differently.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=port+melbourne&hl=en&ll=-37.838259,144.942369&spn=0.014557,0.027874&hnear=Port+Melbourne+Victoria&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=-37.837817,144.941236&panoid=60JGTzgBSJQOCcmb5pKIAA&cbp=12,155.92,,0,-0.17

Reasonably typical of Port Melbourne - some pre-federation buildings, an early 1900s house, a post-war greek brick nightmare, some 60s public housing flats, and post-1990 new yuppie apartments can all be seen from this intersection.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 10:16:54 PM »

Rural.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 10:32:18 PM »

Urban. Not far from street car suburbia though. I was raised in a post war suburb, but not very many people call it suburban, although it technically is, I guess.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 10:46:27 PM »

Streetcar suburb.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2013, 10:49:39 PM by memphis »

I did try to pick a fairly prosperous example of each so as not to be accused of bias by those who might take offense to a blighted subject. I could have just as easily picked an urban slum, a foreclosed suburb, and a rural shack. The London example is very fancy, I agree. But the urban core of European capitals are frequently where the very elite reside, which can come as a bit of a surprise to somebody more accustomed to an American style. If it makes you feel better, here is a more modest urban core photo:

And the postwar suburb I posted was not so monied. Here is a more prosperous example.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 11:16:42 PM »

postwar
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 11:47:16 PM »

Northern Virginia has some nice streetcar suburbs. Arlington county is one of the classic examples of an American streetcar suburb. There are a fair number of areas that are postwar suburbs too, but the majority of NoVA is extremely ugly modern suburbs. Which is unfortunately where I live.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2013, 05:01:23 AM »

I live in a tenement in Glasgow so urban core I guess.
The word tenement has an extremely negative connotation in America. Dark. Dirty. Old. Dickensian. I'm thinking some element of meaning must have changed across the Atlantic. Nobody here would describe their own home as a tenement, unless he was making a special point to emphasize how awful it is.

Oh not at all. Tenements buildings in Glasgow are a mixture, none are 'awful' and many are very palatial and cost up to £750,000. Tenement here just means a style of building.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2013, 06:10:57 AM »

Rural. Not rural enough for my tastes, but rural.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2013, 06:59:51 AM »

It's hard to categorize my neighborhood because the choices that are listed here don't really apply. I'd say "urban core" or "suburb", or something in between.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2013, 07:51:14 AM »

Yes, the really awful tenements in Glasgow - incidentally, like most dire 19th century housing they tended to use a court structure - were all demolished (one way or another) during the twentieth century. In fact in most British cities the only remaining 19th century housing stock was built for either better paid workers or for the middle classes.

Small tenements were also a surprisingly common housing style in industrial villages in parts of North Wales.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2013, 08:44:40 AM »

Just about every place that I have ever lived could plausibly be described as a "streetcar suburb", though there is significant variation on that. 

I grew up in a house from the late 1920s, but there's postwar development the next block over and I think it was designed for cars from the beginning.  But the yards are small and the architecture is two stories plus attic, not ranch-style or Cape Cod.  So, kind of transitional between streetcar and postwar.

College was in dorms, but the surroundings were very old suburb with Victorians and a train station.

Post-college (after some time at my parents) I moved to an apartment building in another very old suburb with Victorians and a train station, then I spent a year in Manayunk, which I guess is more urban core (it was all rowhomes, though it switched over to the duplexes of Roxborough not too far from me) except that it also had a sort of separate town feel far from the actual core of Philadelphia.

Then I went to grad school and lived in a Victorian two-family in West Philly.  About as streetcar suburb as you can get, complete with working streetcars.  Then I graduated and stayed there for a little longer.

Now I live in an apartment building in Brooklyn, but there are yet more old Victorians both across the street and down the block, and there's also a subway right nearby.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 09:13:39 AM »

Rural, although it's not far from several larger cities.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 11:37:15 AM »

The word tenement has an extremely negative connotation in America. Dark. Dirty. Old. Dickensian. I'm thinking some element of meaning must have changed across the Atlantic. Nobody here would describe their own home as a tenement, unless he was making a special point to emphasize how awful it is.

Oh not at all. Tenements buildings in Glasgow are a mixture, none are 'awful' and many are very palatial and cost up to £750,000. Tenement here just means a style of building.

Here, it means something more akin to this:

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 11:44:16 AM »

An American would call those "townhouses" "row houses" or "brownstones"
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 11:45:07 AM »

1960s suburban
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 03:54:17 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2013, 04:23:12 PM by GMantis »

Yeah, not pretty (though this is one the uglier examples), but one has to consider the way rapid urbanization often leads to the creation of slums. When this is considered (and also that they almost entirely owned by the people who live in them), it doesn't seem such a bad way of solving problems with housing. Or maybe I'm just too jaded;)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2013, 04:08:58 PM »

So, how does urban expansion work in Europe? When a need for growth arises, do they build "urban core" on the outskirts of the city? 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 04:43:53 PM »

What happens depends on the place and the time of the development.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2013, 06:38:59 PM »

Europe definitely has "streetcar suburb"-style development as well, and I think that would definitely be a close analogue to the type of greenfield building that happens there, or at least closer than anything else on this list.

Take Milton Keynes for instance:

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2013, 07:34:41 PM »

Milton Keynes is a New Town - a centrally planned settlement - and so has nothing in common with urban development in the U.S. It's grid-based layout is also (famously) unusual and distinctive.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2013, 08:43:17 PM »

The blocks in my immediate neighborhood would classify as a streetcar suburb. In fact a streetcar once ran from two blocks away from my house all the way to the city.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies