Irish Demographic Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:09:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish Demographic Maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Author Topic: Irish Demographic Maps  (Read 34316 times)
Benj

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »

In the "Other Stated Religion" map, four constitutencies outside the Greater Dublin area stand out in brownish colour. Thre of them are adjacent to Northern Ireland, so I assume its Protestants there.

But what about the coastal strip south-west of Cork? Hippie-land with lots of Celtic Druids and converted Buddhists? Or English, German and Dutch immigrannts working for the local tourism business?

I believe there's a bit of a Protestant tradition in Kerry, at least stronger than elsewhere in rural Ireland.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 03:54:23 PM »

It's southwestern County Cork, actually. But yes, the area has a homegrown Protestant (minority) tradition.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 04:09:01 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2012, 04:13:16 PM by Japhy Ryder »

I thought there were more Prots in Cavan/Monaghan

There were, especially in Monaghan*. The population declined dramatically after partition though.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ah this is where you have been ill-informed. There has long been a Protestant minority in Donegal, around 25% in 1921 although obviously much lower now. During the period of partition, dividing up Donegal between the North and the South was regularly touted even including the Boundary commission. Some signs of Northern Protestantism still persist in the region to this day.

* (Actually IIRC there were more Prots in Monaghan at time of the 1911 Census than in Fermanagh. Either way, the population levels were very similar. It was geography not population o/c which determined partition).

In the "Other Stated Religion" map, four constitutencies outside the Greater Dublin area stand out in brownish colour. Thre of them are adjacent to Northern Ireland, so I assume its Protestants there.

Yes. Those regions are part of historic Ulster.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What Lewis said but also all of the above apply to some what. West Cork has got a reputation for its large (by Irish standards) Hippie population and of Continental Europeans setting up organic farms. The Eastern Part of the constituency is also quite rich and full of old towns, and old, rich towns in Ireland are associated with non-negligible Protestant populations. The same is true in Wicklow.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 04:44:14 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2012, 04:45:48 PM by ObserverIE »

Actually IIRC there were more Prots in Monaghan at time of the 1911 Census than in Fermanagh. Either way, the population levels were very similar. It was geography not population o/c which determined partition).

There were (and are) more Presbyterians in Monaghan than Fermanagh. Fermanagh has (and had) a much larger Protestant population once you include Anglicans and Methodists. (Supposedly this is because a lot of the 17th century settlers in Fermanagh were Border Reivers - of doubtful Protestantism to begin with - who went with Anglicanism rather than Presbyterianism once on the ground.)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 04:50:05 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2012, 04:55:12 PM by Japhy Ryder »

Actually IIRC there were more Prots in Monaghan at time of the 1911 Census than in Fermanagh. Either way, the population levels were very similar. It was geography not population o/c which determined partition).

There were (and are) more Presbyterians in Monaghan than Fermanagh. Fermanagh has (and had) a much larger Protestant population once you include Anglicans and Methodists. (Supposedly this is because a lot of the 17th century settlers in Fermanagh were Border Reivers - of doubtful Protestantism to begin with - who went with Anglicanism rather than Presbyterianism once on the ground.)

This is correct. I knew I was forgetting something important. Thanks.

EDIT: I had been trying to find some stuff on this earlier to back up my faulty memory. This map was the best I could find (From wiki so I don't know how reliable):

So yeah correct, I apologize for any misinformation given.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 05:01:29 PM »

Born in the UK....

I put Donegal North East a shade too dark and it's number can't be read in the chart - it should read 17.07%.

Lowest numbers seen in - predictably enough - Working Class urban areas.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 05:09:18 PM »

I guess UK includes Northern Ireland. Any way to distinguish Intra-Irish migration from non-Irish UK immigrants (I suppose this could be quite different patterns after all)?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »

Fascinating, and I normally find this kind of thing very dull. I live in 'Dublin Central' and don't recall ever seeing any farms around but some people have gardens and perhaps some of them grow broccoli or something. Wink
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 05:19:16 PM »

Did anyone in Dublin declare their occupation as "farmer"? I'd like to meet that person Tongue

Yes. In every constituency there were people who declared themselves as farmers. In Dublin Central there were 47 people who were declared as farmers (or 0.04%). It's not impossible or like the US, it only takes two hours from the centre to get into deep countryside and it's possible that these people have more than one job which requires them to be in the city but any real details further than that I would not know.

You do have the Phoenix Park and the Botanic Gardens nearby, I suppose, and there are a couple of farms inside the city boundaries (http://census.cso.ie/agrimap/).

What I'm really impressed by is the city block formed by Camden Street/Grantham Street/Synge Street/South Circular Road (small area 268142005, and part of Hipster Central to the casual observer) where 10% of the population claim to be farmers. Guys, a marijuana plant in a pot does not a market garden make.
An entire basement converted to a greenhouse, on the other hand.... especially if that's indeed your biggest source of income?

Much more prevalent down my way but I don't think the farmers concerned would be inclined to fill out census forms - 至少不是英文.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 05:19:22 PM »

Fascinating, and I normally find this kind of thing very dull. I live in 'Dublin Central' and don't recall ever seeing any farms around but some people have gardens and perhaps some of them grow broccoli or something. Wink

Whereabouts, if I may be so imprudent to ask?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 05:22:17 PM »

Cabra, one of Bertie's many old stomping grounds. I once came home to find the man himself in my kitchen, let in by my brother to the horror of my parents.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2012, 05:23:26 PM »

There's a farm listed on the Census of Agriculture in one of the Whitehall EDs, which I assume is whatever part of the old Albert Agricultural College didn't get taken over by Dublin City University. Less plausibly, there's one in Royal Exchange A (Temple Bar/Dublin Castle/west side of Great Georges Street-Aungier Street).
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2012, 05:33:59 PM »

Cabra, one of Bertie's many old stomping grounds. I once came home to find the man himself in my kitchen, let in by my brother to the horror of my parents.

What.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2012, 05:36:57 PM »

What.

Bertie Ahern was renowned for his continual doorstep canvassing at all weekends (and sometimes evenings) during the year, in between elections as well as during them.

Oakvale, for some reason I thought you came from Monaghan.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »

What.

That's the appropriate reaction, yes.

Bertie Ahern used to knock on doors canvassing as part of his "man of the people" schtick. Sometimes he would be invited inside briefly to talk about how he represented the plain people of Ireland or whatever. Anyway, my parents would never have let him in but my fourteen-year-old brother knew no better so that... happened.

I've never been the same since.

What.

Bertie Ahern was renowned for his continual doorstep canvassing at all weekends (and sometimes evenings) during the year, in between elections as well as during them.

Ah, you're confusing me with my fellow I-IE, Jas.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2012, 05:39:04 PM »

What.

No, that's the other (now rarely seen) I-IE poster; Jas.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 05:43:14 PM »

What.

Bertie Ahern used to knock on doors canvassing as part of his "man of the people" schtick. Sometimes he would be invited inside briefly to talk about how he represented the plain people of Ireland or whatever. Anyway, my parents would never have let him in but my fourteen-year-old brother knew no better so that... happened.

When does the brother get home from exile?
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 05:44:13 PM »

No, that's the other (now rarely seen) I-IE poster; Jas.

Ah, apologies.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2012, 06:15:44 PM »

Now to go a bit off-base. Lietuva!

Yes, that's right. No detailed Protestant information available but there is data on the Lithuanian-born (In nation of birth the data by constituency I can access is Ireland, the UK, Poland, Lithuania, Other EU and ROTW (see above)).

So what happened in Cavan/Monaghan?
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 06:21:43 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2012, 06:35:07 PM by ObserverIE »

Now to go a bit off-base. Lietuva!

Yes, that's right. No detailed Protestant information available but there is data on the Lithuanian-born (In nation of birth the data by constituency I can access is Ireland, the UK, Poland, Lithuania, Other EU and ROTW (see above)).

So what happened in Cavan/Monaghan?

Mushrooms and piggeries, basically. There was a sizeable Lithuanian and Latvian presence in the area (as evidenced by car registration plates) even before 2004.

As far as the religious breakdown is concerned, I think they only publish about 5 or 6 categories, but they publish them at all levels down to Small Area. I think the 2006 census reports listed a more detailed breakdown at county level only. (Edit: Yep.)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2012, 06:37:11 PM »

^

Yeah, I know that county level (and lower) data exists, I'm just sticking with constituency level for the moment.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2012, 06:51:54 PM »

^

Yeah, I know that county level (and lower) data exists, I'm just sticking with constituency level for the moment.

The point I'm trying to make is that in 2006, there was a detailed breakdown given by Christian denomination at county level rather than just lumping everyone in as "other religion". The jazzed-up but dumbed-down "profiles" for the 2011 census no longer give that detail.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2012, 07:03:54 PM »

^

The point I'm trying to make is that in 2006, there was a detailed breakdown given by Christian denomination at county level rather than just lumping everyone in as "other religion". The jazzed-up but dumbed-down "profiles" for the 2011 census no longer give that detail.

Oh sorry, I catch you now. I've found though that the CSO sometimes doesn't release some detailed information for years after they have collected it. I don't know if this is the case here or not.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2012, 07:13:02 PM »

Unskilled labourers with some rounding done (Galway West and Kildare South were put upwards. I am so cruel to these places)

Kind of interesting how this really is the inverse of the Managerial map.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2012, 07:14:01 PM »

What.

That's, uh, special. You have my condolences.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies