So Thatcher had a lot more evil in her than the infamous poll tax...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:49:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  So Thatcher had a lot more evil in her than the infamous poll tax...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: So Thatcher had a lot more evil in her than the infamous poll tax...  (Read 9408 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2012, 12:54:26 AM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/dec/28/margaret-thatcher-role-plan-to-dismantle-welfare-state-revealed
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:59:01 AM »

I'm guessing this is common knowledge for UK posters, but it's still interesting to see that she wanted to turn UK into ideal state by tea party standards.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 01:10:09 AM »

It's not surprising that there are vast segments of the British population eagerly awaiting this horrible woman's death.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 01:25:30 AM »

It's not surprising that there are vast segments of the British population eagerly awaiting this horrible woman's death.

Oh don't be ridiculous.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 02:52:02 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2012, 02:53:41 AM by ModerateCoward »

Oh don't be ridiculous.
I think you are being ridiculous, who really doesn't want Thatcher to die, if you think about the negative effect she had on the islands.
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 07:13:29 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2012, 11:28:01 AM by freefair »

Thatcher in autobiography
 "I was horrified when I saw this paper. … It was all a total nonsense,"
Guardian Runs...
"Margaret Thatcher's role in plan to dismantle welfare state revealed"
Bears sh**t in woods, Pope Catholic, Guardian reporting on Thatcher woefully disingenuous...
Yep, it's just another day! Honestly, these Thatcher declassifications tell us nothing remotely controversial. So the fact that she commissioned a report, which recommended x, which she then dismissed, implies she supported x and secretly desired to bring it about does it?
Then we have the Guardian bleating about the fact that Thatcher even considered a diplomatic solution in the Falklands. What? So now the Guardian is against considering diplomatic options? War is good? Huh?!
She remains roughly as popular as Reagan, give or take a few percentage points. I guess that about 33% of people hate her of which 15% of people want her dead, but Its those 15% or so most folks don't want to make friends with. In most "Greatest PM" Polls she usually comes 1st or 2nd to Clement Atlee  (British FDR) anyway.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 08:52:34 AM »

Your 'guesses' make the Guardian at its worst look good.

What's tragic is her predecessors, whilst claiming to be less extreme than her, have made much of that report's recommendations a reality.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 09:32:42 AM »

Oh don't be ridiculous.

Now, now. We don't want the diminish Lief's point for existing here.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 09:52:42 AM »

If only Thatcher really did have a "secret agenda to dismantle the postwar welfare state"...
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »

Oh don't be ridiculous.

You clearly know loads about the UK. It's true that a large portion of the country hold nothing but resentment for her because of the damage she did to swathes of the UK.

"We're havin' a party when Thatcher dies" is a common football chant, for example.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 10:22:18 AM »

"We're havin' a party when Thatcher dies" is a common football chant, for example.

Civilized country.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 10:54:18 AM »

Civilized country.

Indeed.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 11:03:29 AM »

If only Thatcher really did have a "secret agenda to dismantle the postwar welfare state"...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »

Ok? Using the same argument you've always used about Exhibit B doesn't suddenly make Exhibit A civilized.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 11:23:03 AM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »

Oh don't be ridiculous.

He's not being even slightly ridiculous; large segments of the British population do indeed eagerly await the death of this horrible woman.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »

Anyways, I'm amused (and vaguely horrified, though certainly not even mildly surprised) to note that Keith Joseph's creepy enthusiasm for eugenics didn't stop in the mid 1970s.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 11:28:24 AM »

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »

So in return all those people that hate Obama and want him to die (Note: I'm not one of them, but I'm sure someone will still think so) are perfectly justified in that respect? My guess is they'd be viewed as horrible people while these people are within their rights.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 12:20:53 PM »

Oh don't be ridiculous.

He's not being even slightly ridiculous; large segments of the British population do indeed eagerly await the death of this horrible woman.

Ah, the enlightened, civilized Brits.
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 12:23:58 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2012, 01:01:39 PM by freefair »

So in return all those people that hate Obama and want him to die (Note: I'm not one of them, but I'm sure someone will still think so) are perfectly justified in that respect? My guess is they'd be viewed as horrible people while these people are within their rights.
IMO, any grown person who wishes early death on a politician operating within a free, civilised, democratic system is an inherently cruel and vile person, it doesn't matter if it's Maggie Thatcher or Barry Obama or Olof Palm or anyone.
It's only acceptable to hate politicians in totalitarian regimes, in my view (before anyone says, It's acceptable to hate Segregationist Southern Governors as they were actively abusing/ignoring the constitutional system of government and denying people their right to vote even though they hadn't shirked any of their responsibillities as a citizen by being imprisoned or committing electoral fraud) .
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 12:25:46 PM »

IMO, any grown person who wishes death a politician operating within a civilised democratic system is an inherently cruel and vile person, it doesn't matter if it's Maggie Thatcher or Obama or Olof Palm or anyone.
It's only acceptable to hate politicians in totalitarian regimes, in my view.

That position seems to be blasphemy in this thread.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 12:34:55 PM »

IMO, any grown person who wishes early death on a politician operating within a free, civilised, democratic system is an inherently cruel and vile person, it doesn't matter if it's Maggie Thatcher or Barry Obama or Olof Palm or anyone.
It's only acceptable to hate politicians in totalitarian regimes, in my view.

I completely agree.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 12:45:21 PM »

Oh don't be ridiculous.

Most of Scotland and the North of England proper hates her.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 12:46:15 PM »

Oh don't be ridiculous.

Most of Scotland and the North of England proper hates her.

So it's ok to wish for her death?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies