Obama and the white vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:01:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Obama and the white vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama and the white vote  (Read 2494 times)
jman123
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »

What areas of the country did Obama get the white non hispanic vote? I am interested since exit polls show that obama got 39 percent of the white vote so I was interested in which areas was his support among whites more evident.
Benj

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 09:12:01 AM »

New England, the Pacific Northwest and Hawaii. Actually, that might be white men... Could have won whites as a whole in NJ, NY, CA and parts of the Midwest.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 12:06:56 PM »

Definitely didn't in California, though it was likely a 4-6 point loss as opposed to the 10 point loss the exit poll said.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 01:54:55 PM »

New England, the Pacific Northwest and Hawaii. Actually, that might be white men... Could have won whites as a whole in NJ, NY, CA and parts of the Midwest.

Correct, he won all 6 New England states, OR, WA and HI.  Also Iowa.  In New York it was really close and he might have won but I'm not 100% sure.  What about Delaware and DC?  I haven't seen any exit polls but I would assume he won the white vote in both.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »

Correct, he won all 6 New England states, OR, WA and HI.  Also Iowa.  In New York it was really close and he might have won but I'm not 100% sure.  What about Delaware and DC?  I haven't seen any exit polls but I would assume he won the white vote in both.

DC is of course a given. DE whites IIRC went barely for Obama in 2008, so if whites swung similar to the state swing, Romney may have won DE whites.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 08:45:34 PM »

Definitely didn't in California, though it was likely a 4-6 point loss as opposed to the 10 point loss the exit poll said.

It may have actually been a 10% loss. Looking at precinct results, the lack of an overall GOP swing in California was almost entirely thanks to Asians.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 09:11:02 PM »

It may have actually been a 10% loss. Looking at precinct results, the lack of an overall GOP swing in California was almost entirely thanks to Asians.

Vietnamese certainly swung to Obama but not sure about others. Looking at precinct results in the San Gabriel valley, things didnt change much. Whites did swing back, and all of the swing away from Obama can be explained by that. Still, according to exit polls in 2008, Obama actually won whites by 6 points. Even if it was more like a 2 point win, a 6 point swing back would imply a 4 point win for Romney. It also depends on if 28% of the electorate was 18-29 years old. I don't really buy that.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 09:39:42 PM »

Mississippi Tongue
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 12:03:56 PM »

The Deep South seems to be the one region of the country where the white vote trended Democratic (since there were barely any left to lose Tongue).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 08:19:59 PM »

Correct, he won all 6 New England states, OR, WA and HI.  Also Iowa.  In New York it was really close and he might have won but I'm not 100% sure.  What about Delaware and DC?  I haven't seen any exit polls but I would assume he won the white vote in both.

In addition to these, Obama also won whites in Minnesota. He certainly won the white vote in New York, and he lost it narrowly in Delaware. Obama also lost whites narrowly in California-thus making 2012 the last election to date in which they voted Republican in that state. So that means Obama won whites in eleven states and D.C.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies