Northeast Assembly Thread II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:01:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread II  (Read 44078 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: April 06, 2016, 05:50:18 AM »

Do we want a Budget before or after the next legislature term?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #626 on: April 06, 2016, 07:36:59 AM »

I would say, before.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #627 on: April 07, 2016, 06:20:09 PM »

Preferably before.

Anyone want to volunteer to chair it? NHI, Blair?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #628 on: April 07, 2016, 09:47:37 PM »

Preferably before.

What do you mean by chair it?  The Governor proposes the budget.  The Assembly votes on it.  It goes in a special  legislative slot and has special debate rules under the SOAP than regular bills.

Regular bills should be voted on within 72 hours unless debate is extended.  There is no reason that the Elections bill should still be on the floor, for example.  No one asked for an extension.  That there is very little debate is largely irrelevant under the SOAP.  The Northeast Assembly isn't run like the Senate.  We have time rules, in part because we only bring a few items to the floor at a time.  No motion needs to be made to call for a vote on anything but the budget.  The vote automatically starts when the time for debate ends.

Please read the SOAP, Mr. Speaker.
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #629 on: April 08, 2016, 08:43:27 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2016, 08:45:10 PM by NE Rep. RGN (Fed-NY) »

Preferably before.

What do you mean by chair it?  The Governor proposes the budget.  The Assembly votes on it.  It goes in a special  legislative slot and has special debate rules under the SOAP than regular bills.

Regular bills should be voted on within 72 hours unless debate is extended.  There is no reason that the Elections bill should still be on the floor, for example.  No one asked for an extension.  That there is very little debate is largely irrelevant under the SOAP.  The Northeast Assembly isn't run like the Senate.  We have time rules, in part because we only bring a few items to the floor at a time.  No motion needs to be made to call for a vote on anything but the budget.  The vote automatically starts when the time for debate ends.

While reading this, I remembered the days when I was the speaker of the assembly.

During that time, I was criticized for extending bills for way too long. I even postponed the current voting of a legislation just to allow the one who proposed the bill to add more points or statements / explain further on the bill. However, I extended the debate time mostly with the discretion of my fellow colleagues, sometimes my discretion to allow more points to come in and to have a better comprehension about the bill. I would always ask if they wanted to vote on it or extend the debate further. If there is no answer, or someone wants to move to the voting part, then I will move the assembly to vote on the bill. I would always give an extension if someone would wanted to say something or explain further the bill proposed.

Yes, after my tenure, I still don't know why the next speaker only allotted 24 hours to vote on the bill (which is 48 hours, as stated on the SOAP). I pointed out to the next speaker after my successor that it was in fact,  48 hours.

Just stating what I experienced. I'm not pointing at anyone or criticizing anybody. I do hope we get those bills voted or debated. I'm not a good debater, so I rarely say something about the bill. You will only get my position through the voting part of the bills, which I believe the most important part of the assembly sessions.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #630 on: April 08, 2016, 09:18:53 PM »

Preferably before.

What do you mean by chair it?  The Governor proposes the budget.  The Assembly votes on it.  It goes in a special  legislative slot and has special debate rules under the SOAP than regular bills.

Regular bills should be voted on within 72 hours unless debate is extended.  There is no reason that the Elections bill should still be on the floor, for example.  No one asked for an extension.  That there is very little debate is largely irrelevant under the SOAP.  The Northeast Assembly isn't run like the Senate.  We have time rules, in part because we only bring a few items to the floor at a time.  No motion needs to be made to call for a vote on anything but the budget.  The vote automatically starts when the time for debate ends.

While reading this, I remembered the days when I was the speaker of the assembly.

During that time, I was criticized for extending bills for way too long. I even postponed the current voting of a legislation just to allow the one who proposed the bill to add more points or statements / explain further on the bill. However, I extended the debate time mostly with the discretion of my fellow colleagues, sometimes my discretion to allow more points to come in and to have a better comprehension about the bill. I would always ask if they wanted to vote on it or extend the debate further. If there is no answer, or someone wants to move to the voting part, then I will move the assembly to vote on the bill. I would always give an extension if someone would wanted to say something or explain further the bill proposed.

Yes, after my tenure, I still don't know why the next speaker only allotted 24 hours to vote on the bill (which is 48 hours, as stated on the SOAP). I pointed out to the next speaker after my successor that it was in fact,  48 hours.

Just stating what I experienced. I'm not pointing at anyone or criticizing anybody. I do hope we get those bills voted or debated. I'm not a good debater, so I rarely say something about the bill. You will only get my position through the voting part of the bills, which I believe the most important part of the assembly sessions.

Once again, the SOAP is a procedural manual, not my step-by-step guide. If it's supposed to be, I need clarification. I want multiple persons to offer to work on this together. cinyc, I appreciate your legalistic check on this Assembly. However, what's the point of the SOAP if we must follow it letter for letter?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #631 on: April 08, 2016, 10:28:43 PM »

Once again, the SOAP is a procedural manual, not my step-by-step guide. If it's supposed to be, I need clarification. I want multiple persons to offer to work on this together. cinyc, I appreciate your legalistic check on this Assembly. However, what's the point of the SOAP if we must follow it letter for letter?

The point of the SOAP is to provide rules on how the Assembly is to be run.  It is a step-by-step guide.  Without the provisions calling for the relatively prompt disposition of Assembly business, someone could block new bills from being proposed and acted upon. Granted, there's not much legislation in the queue right now, but this Assembly is going to sine die within the next few weeks, so there should be some urgency to get things currently on the floor passed sooner rather than later.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #632 on: April 10, 2016, 02:27:17 PM »

When I was Speaker (back in what march last year, christ nearly a year) I operated under the assumption that the SOAP was gospel
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #633 on: April 10, 2016, 02:48:07 PM »

When I was Speaker (back in what march last year, christ nearly a year) I operated under the assumption that the SOAP was gospel
As hard as it sounds for a legislature to meet the bare minimum of the SOAP...

No offense, Mr. Governor, but I like to keep my options open rather than having an unchanging and strict plan.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #634 on: April 10, 2016, 02:49:57 PM »

The point of the SOAP is to provide rules on how the Assembly is to be run.  It is a step-by-step guide.  Without the provisions calling for the relatively prompt disposition of Assembly business, someone could block new bills from being proposed and acted upon. Granted, there's not much legislation in the queue right now, but this Assembly is going to sine die within the next few weeks, so there should be some urgency to get things currently on the floor passed sooner rather than later.

Your point of time? Granted. As to the SOAP, feel free to take legal proceedings regarding my application of it.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #635 on: April 10, 2016, 04:46:20 PM »

Well looking into it the SOAP is actually codified into law
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #636 on: April 10, 2016, 06:07:14 PM »

And since then has been perfectly upheld by how many Assembly gatherings?

Precedence is important in law. 
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #637 on: April 10, 2016, 09:09:50 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I really do think we need to, at the very least, get NE1 and NE2 through voting.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #638 on: April 10, 2016, 09:36:24 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I really do think we need to, at the very least, get NE1 and NE2 through voting.
NE1 passed. I've been waiting on NE2, as it is a long bill I finished reading(comprehensively) just about two weeks ago.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #639 on: April 12, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2016, 09:54:40 AM by Governor Blair »

And since then has been perfectly upheld by how many Assembly gatherings?

Precedence is important in law.  

I upheld it as Speaker, I got Dkrol to uphold it as Speaker when I become Senator, Evergreen upheld it as Speaker, so did MattVT before me.

We've got the Chief Judical Officer (the head of the legal branch), Myself the Governor (head of the executive Branch) and about 4 speakers in the past who've all upheld the SOAP. This is getting beyond stupid.

I'd carefully consider your challenge to take this to the court

Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #640 on: April 12, 2016, 10:10:46 AM »

When I was (briefly) Speaker, I was also under the impression that the SOAP was law, not just guidelines.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #641 on: April 17, 2016, 08:56:32 AM »

I hope to get a budget written and published by tomorrow at the latest.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #642 on: April 17, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »

Listen, I don't mean to be stepping on anyone's toes. If anyone has advice, please PM me. I will gladly resign if my beliefs on this are too controversial. I won't change how I believe leading and guidelines should be, but I will gladly change how leading and guidelines will be by the means of changing the Speaker.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #643 on: April 27, 2016, 09:40:19 PM »

The new Assembly starts at 1:00AM tonight.  Traditionally, the Lt. Governor would open session and start the vote for speaker.  However, since the Lt. Governor is currently the Acting Governor, he is consitutionally ineligible to do so.  That task should fall to the longest continuously sitting Northeast Representative.  Is that RGN08?
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #644 on: April 28, 2016, 06:28:38 AM »

The new Assembly starts at 1:00AM tonight.  Traditionally, the Lt. Governor would open session and start the vote for speaker.  However, since the Lt. Governor is currently the Acting Governor, he is consitutionally ineligible to do so.  That task should fall to the longest continuously sitting Northeast Representative.  Is that RGN08?
Yes, I am. The nomination for the position of speaker is now open.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #645 on: April 28, 2016, 08:50:41 PM »

Can the Governor nominate a candidate?
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #646 on: April 29, 2016, 01:52:22 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #647 on: April 29, 2016, 09:41:25 PM »

I'll have to re-open the nomination for 24 hours.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #648 on: April 30, 2016, 11:54:00 AM »

I nominate LongLiveRock for Speaker
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #649 on: April 30, 2016, 05:19:31 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2016, 05:25:08 PM by cinyc »

The Acting Governor can't perform any of the duties of the Assembly while he or she is Acting Governor.  This is one way of ensuring that the Acting Governor isn't simultaneously holding two offices (i.e. Northeast Assemblyman/Lt. Governor and Acting Governor), which is prohibited by the Atlasian Constitution.  It also makes sure all legislative and executive power isn't possessed by one person.  So, you can't vote in the Assembly or nominate anyone for speaker until after the special election results are certified on Monday - and if you win, you still can't nominate a Speaker, as that's the job of the Assembly, not the Governor.  The Governor is not a member of the Assembly.

The Governor gets to name a Lt. Governor, who can't be Speaker.  Theoretically, you could name a Lt. Governor as Acting Governor, but there's no reason you'd want to, as you'd be replacing yourself as Acting Governor.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies