Are "weed track" voters a thing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:11:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are "weed track" voters a thing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are "weed track" voters a thing?  (Read 514 times)
wimp
themiddleman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2021, 01:28:56 PM »

There's beer track and wine track, how about weed track since its legal in half of the states now?

If so, I'd imagine them being mostly being third party voters, sometimes breaking for "alternative" candidates like Bernie and Ron Paul.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 04:00:59 PM »

I’d imagine “weed track” would be more progressive than “beer track” or “wine track”.
Wormless Gourd
cringenat
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 06:49:11 PM »

Weed track makes me think young people in service industry jobs who are much more socially/politically progressive compared to their economic peers. Like the staff at a Lush or a grocery co-op.
Put a high premium on relatability in their candidates and some are a little bitter at having to accept a worse standard of living then their parents.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 07:03:42 PM »

Weed track makes me think young people in service industry jobs who are much more socially/politically progressive compared to their economic peers. Like the staff at a Lush or a grocery co-op.
Put a high premium on relatability in their candidates and some are a little bitter at having to accept a worse standard of living then their parents.

This is annoyingly flawless shorthand for this voter bloc which means the pundits are totally gonna pick it up and overuse it through the 2020s, doesn't it? Dave save us all.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 07:18:03 PM »

considering wine track/ beer track is nonsense, I guess weed track would be as well. but in any case, it is more younger and service/tech orientated.
Wormless Gourd
cringenat
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 07:21:47 PM »

considering wine track/ beer track is nonsense, I guess weed track would be as well. but in any case, it is more younger and service/tech orientated.
imo beer track/wine track dichotomy is still more useful then people trying to pick apart whose primary supporters are the true proletariat or not.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 07:44:27 PM »

I think there's a large contingency of middle-aged (40-60) white working class men who would fit this bill too.

Defining feature of a "weed track" voter probably would be sparse interest in politics. Probably more socially progressive (but not always) but engaging less with politics aside from superstar politicians like Obama, Sanders, and maybe Trump. Probably more excited to vote in the 2020 primaries than in the 2020 general, and unlikely vote (or have especially strong opinions) a referendum for medicaid expansion or increasing gasoline taxes.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 09:27:56 PM »

Can't speak about "weed-track voters" per se, but in Oregon as one of the earlier states to legalize not only medicinal herb, but also recreational MJ, there has been a huge explosion growth in legal Marijuana related employment.

Obviously the "Budtenders" are at the front end of all of our weed stores, but likely many of them make more off of tips than many Bartenders, in a state where both are paid at minimum OR State / Regional Min wage.

Many of the storefront dispensary jobs are heavily located in Tourism / Coastal regions of the State, where they are likely making significantly more $$$ / Hr than working in a Gas Station, Hotel, Restaurant, Grocery store etc in a part of the state where there has long been significant underemployment among younger workers, where fishing (much more lucrative) is a much more tight-knit community, and there aren't that many plywood and paper mills remaining from Astoria down to Brookings area (which tend to pay very well and are frequently Union jobs where you trade off the shift-structure, shift hours / day negotiations with the bosses against what is effectively guaranteed stability in exchange for Union Protection, Pensions, Health Care, when there aren't that many entry level openings these days for jobs such as pulling Green-Chain, sweeping up the sawdust on the Mill Floor, and even non 24 Hr Ops even have most of their Security outsourced these days vs in-house Union jobs.

Damn when I was unemployed and effectively homeless about (5) Years ago shortly after moving back to Oregon, I almost applied for a Union Job in a Seafood Processing MFG facility on the Central OR Coast, as well as another job in a Pulp Mill in the same region, but ended up getting a few bites before I had to make that decision.

Hell... much better gig for younger Blue Collar workers on the Oregon Coast than many of the other job opportunities out there (Plus tourists tend to tip much more than locals Wink )

Reminds me a bit of that old classic song from the mid-late '70s from the Punk Rock band The Clash:

(I think this particular individual chose to mix the song with some classic Charlie Chaplin silent clips).

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies