The best a Democrat can do in West Virginia (2016)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 10:06:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The best a Democrat can do in West Virginia (2016)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The best a Democrat can do in West Virginia (2016)  (Read 6827 times)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 03:12:45 PM »

Can the next Democratic nominee stop the bleeding in WV? I doubt anyone can win it, but who could bring the totals back above 40% for example?

Clinton would carry West Virginia, Kentucky, maybe Tennessee, definitely Arkansas, and turn Louisiana into a tossup state.

No way Clinton is taking TN or KY; we're not still in the 1990s.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 06:00:20 AM »

Can the next Democratic nominee stop the bleeding in WV? I doubt anyone can win it, but who could bring the totals back above 40% for example?

Clinton would carry West Virginia, Kentucky, maybe Tennessee, definitely Arkansas, and turn Louisiana into a tossup state.

Doubtful. She'd lose WV, KY and TN by single digits at best. She'd probably win Arkansas in a very narrow surprise, kind of like when Obama won NC in 2008. Louisiana is long gone for the Democrats.

This erroneous thinking stems from many Democrats' belief that Obama did so badly in WV, TN, AR, MO, KY because he's black.  Its not.  It's because he's a DEMOCRAT, a far left one at that.  Hillary could possibly get back above 40% in some of those states but they will still be Republican by at least 10%

Wrong.

Clinton WOULD win West Virginia. Surely 2016 will be a different environment than 2008, but West Virginia was the only state where she won every single county - not even in her home states of New York and Arkansas was she able to accomplish that feat. The Clintons have a long history with the state and I have no doubt in my mind that she would put it in the Democratic column.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 04:51:50 PM »

I recall so many of you scoffing when I said repeatedly that Obama would hit an historic low for Democrats in WV.

Some of you goons even said Obama would IMPROVE in WV (And Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas...)  Hahaha

Clinton would not win Ark, Tenn, Ky or W. Va.  

Next...

And you said Obama was toast this election....

Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 05:37:07 PM »

Doubtful. She'd lose WV, KY and TN by single digits at best. She'd probably win Arkansas in a very narrow surprise, kind of like when Obama won NC in 2008. Louisiana is long gone for the Democrats.

This erroneous thinking stems from many Democrats' belief that Obama did so badly in WV, TN, AR, MO, KY because he's black.  Its not.  It's because he's a DEMOCRAT, a far left one at that.  Hillary could possibly get back above 40% in some of those states but they will still be Republican by at least 10%

Wrong.

Clinton WOULD win West Virginia. Surely 2016 will be a different environment than 2008, but West Virginia was the only state where she won every single county - not even in her home states of New York and Arkansas was she able to accomplish that feat. The Clintons have a long history with the state and I have no doubt in my mind that she would put it in the Democratic column.

She won every county there in 2008 because she was facing Obama.  If she is getting 45% here in 2016 she is doing very well.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »

West Virginia is as Democratic at a state level as Maryland or Massachusetts, but there were counties where Romney got over 70% despite Republicans only being 10% of registered voters. Any Democrat who isn't Obama will do much better, but it would only be competitive with Hillary. Maybe Schweitzer could replicate a similar margin to WV 2004.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2012, 02:32:48 AM »

I recall so many of you scoffing when I said repeatedly that Obama would hit an historic low for Democrats in WV.

Though I didn't think Obama would improve in WV, I dismissed timothy's claim that Obama would be "lucky to get 33%." 'Giving credit where credit is due,  that was a pretty good call on timothy's part.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 03:16:05 AM »

Though I didn't think Obama would improve in WV, I dismissed timothy's claim that Obama would be "lucky to get 33%." 'Giving credit where credit is due,  that was a pretty good call on timothy's part.
A broken clock is right twice a day etc etc.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2012, 04:06:49 AM »

I guess Clinton could get 45% if she wins by a landslide nationally.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2012, 07:33:06 AM »

He got 35.6%, and Timothy predicted a Romneyslide, so not a good call at all.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2012, 12:34:31 PM »

He got 35.6%, and Timothy predicted a Romneyslide, so not a good call at all.

Well, I was predicting about 40%, so he was closer than me Smiley
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2012, 01:01:42 PM »

I think West Virginia (as well as Arkansas and Kentucky) are so far gone, that not even Hillary Clinton can reverse the Republican momentum in those states.   
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2012, 07:20:06 PM »

I think a few red avatars in this thread are going overboard with their pessimism. While no Democrat is likely to win West Virginia, achieving a swing there while the rest of the country reverts to a 50-50 result would be very easy as long as the Democrat has a white face and isn't from the left coast.

Obama hit the absolute bottom in WV. I don't see the 2016 nominee being as ill-suited for WV as him. I'd predict a 38-39% result or so.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies