Calhoun and Madison counties, IL (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:33:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Calhoun and Madison counties, IL (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Calhoun and Madison counties, IL  (Read 3346 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: December 19, 2012, 12:11:54 AM »

These seem to be the only two Kerry/Romney counties in Illinois. And Madison is the only notable one in terms of size.

So why? Seems to me like older working class St. Louis suburbs are being gentrified.
Seems to me you know nothing about Metro East.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 09:43:22 AM »

East St. Louis is being gentrified? What universe is this?
East St Louis is in St Clair County, which, of course, remains reliably Democratic. But certainly not because it's gentrifying. Not really sure how gentrification is supposed to make a location more Democratic anyway, as it usually involves replacing minorities with white people.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 12:45:11 AM »

Well yeah I was saying gentrification would make those areas more Republican.

Would be cool to get a full list of counties where Romney did better than Bush 2004, unsurprisingly he did in plenty of counties in the coal region in southeast Illinois, but Bush won this region in 2004 too.
The entire Upper South is an obvious start. A lot of Louisiana too. Much of West Texas too, which is rather funny given that was Bush's home region and because the Dems are always so convinced that Texas will swing their way sooner or later. Coal fields of Eastern KY/Southern WV gets the award for strongest swings. The strongest case I see after a very rudimentary comparison is Knott County, KY. Kerry won with 63% Romney won with 73%.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »

Well yeah I was saying gentrification would make those areas more Republican.

Would be cool to get a full list of counties where Romney did better than Bush 2004, unsurprisingly he did in plenty of counties in the coal region in southeast Illinois, but Bush won this region in 2004 too.
The entire Upper South is an obvious start. A lot of Louisiana too. Much of West Texas too, which is rather funny given that was Bush's home region and because the Dems are always so convinced that Texas will swing their way sooner or later. Coal fields of Eastern KY/Southern WV gets the award for strongest swings. The strongest case I see after a very rudimentary comparison is Knott County, KY. Kerry won with 63% Romney won with 73%.

Should've been more clear, I meant counties in Illinois where Romney did better.

What's the deal with that Effingham place? Not only is it one, but it voted 75% for Romney and even voted for ALAN KEYES by 17 points. Demographically though it looks like a standard boring Midwestern town, we have hoards of similar ones as do Wisconsin and Iowa and most of those are about 55% R at worse.
MN and WI are worlds apart from Southern Illinois.  The Great Lakes states area has a strong progressive tradition a la LaFollette, Feingold, Wellstone, and Humphrey. Southern Illinois may as well be in Missouri though the white people in Effingham are, obviously, far far more Democratic than white people in the South.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies