Anne Arundel County Maryland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:48:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Anne Arundel County Maryland
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anne Arundel County Maryland  (Read 4099 times)
pa2011
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2012, 12:41:31 PM »
« edited: December 01, 2012, 12:53:37 PM by pa2011 »

Looks like after all the votes were counted, Anne Arundel County Maryland -- where Annapolis, the Naval Academy, is located -- went for Romney by only 200 votes.

The fact Obama essentially tied Romney there is noteworthy, and could indicate one of the last GOP holdouts in the Washington DC Maryland suburbs is starting to tilt Blue.

Four years ago, McCain carried it with about a 3800 vote margin.

In 2004, it wasn't even close. Bush won it 55 to 43.  Bush won it by similarly large margins in 2000. Even Dole carried it by 6 points over Clinton in 1996.  Honestly don't know if a Democrat has ever won that county in modern times.

Anyone know if this was just Obama, or is Anne Arundel rapidly turning more blue to align with its Washington-Baltimore area neighbors?

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 01:00:15 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2012, 01:02:20 PM by Frodo »

It's probably a lasting change.  There are more minorities living in the county according to the 2010 census, particularly African-Americans (who now compose 15.5% of the overall population as opposed to 13.6% in 2000), and Latinos (who now compose 6% of the population compared to just 2.63% in 2000).  

The white majority meanwhile has declined from over 80% to just 75%.  
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 02:17:20 PM »

Fell just short of what would have been quite the major price. Damn. Smiley
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 02:34:20 PM »

It's not just Anne Arundel.  MD as a whole has gotten substantially bluer for Obama.  Gore and Kerry only got between 55-57% there.  Obama finished just shy of 62% both times.  So MD has actually moved nearly as much as VA, but it started out as an already Democratic state and it's now left of MA.
pa2011
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »

Fact Montgomery County Maryland is now a 70 plus Democratic county, with 1 million residents no less, is quite remarkable when you consider it was still a toss up county in the 1980s. 

Reagan won it with 50 percent in 1984, and Bush I even managed 48 percent in 1992.  Even in past decade, seems all of the DC Maryland suburbs have moved about 10 percent points more D than they were in 2000.
Benj

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 03:08:41 PM »

Fact Montgomery County Maryland is now a 70 plus Democratic county, with 1 million residents no less, is quite remarkable when you consider it was still a toss up county in the 1980s.  

Reagan won it with 50 percent in 1984, and Bush I even managed 48 percent in 1992.  Even in past decade, seems all of the DC Maryland suburbs have moved about 10 percent points more D than they were in 2000.

1988, not 1992. Considering MontCo voted for Dukakis... Hardly a swing county.

Anyway, suburbs are growing in SW Anne Arundel. Even in the older suburban areas, swingy whites voters are being replaced by solidly Democratic blacks expanding outward from PG County. Annapolis itself has also become much more liberal and significantly more minority of late, partly because young members of the military are heavily minority and lean Democratic these days for the first time in a very long time. The traditionally super-Republican areas in NE Anne Arundel have also weakened a bit, down from 80+% Republican in the heyday to more like 60-65% Republican now.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 10:18:47 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2012, 10:20:31 PM by Liberalrocks »

Anne Arundel County also voted to legalize gay marriage.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 10:24:09 PM »

Anne Arundel County also voted to legalize gay marriage.

And by a larger margin then Baltimore Co. (4.79% to 3.46)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 08:09:44 AM »

It's social issues.  Subrbanites are becoming more Dem over social issues.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 08:21:54 AM »

Though Anne Arundel is not "classic" suburban country.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 10:43:57 AM »

The thing is, Romney was about the best Republican candidate imaginable for the Anne Arundel County demographic, and he still lost ground there in absolute terms.  In relative terms, Romney lost ground in almost all of the Northeastern suburbs compared to his national performance.  It makes me wonder what would happen to a Huckabee or Santorum in places like Westchester and Fairfax.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 11:01:47 AM »

The thing is, Romney was about the best Republican candidate imaginable for the Anne Arundel County demographic, and he still lost ground there in absolute terms.
He wasn't. He might have been, conceivably, if he'd won the Republican nomination on his record as a Governor rather than on his warchest, and if he'd just come across as standing for anything period, but then he couldn't have won the Republican nomination that way.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »

Suburbanites only vote over social issues when one party is proposing a radical social agenda and actually puts that out there.  I think the GOP could actually keep most of their social positions, but they have to just STFU about it.  The thing about statements like those made by Murdoch and Akin is not that it hits people on a position that they are obsessing about... it's just that they sound absolutely insane when they are making them. 

I think THIS is the problem with the GOP anymore.  They make these radical statements about rape, evolution, global warming, etc. and they wind up changing an issue that people weren't really thinking about this election and turning it into a negative.  By taking positions that are so ignorant and so stupid and so backward, people tend to start wondering about their judgment when it comes to everything else. 
timothyinMD

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 07:23:02 PM »

This surprised me a bit.  I think there are Democrats moving into the Severn, Laurel area and commuting to DC from there.  Personally I have two Obama voting friends that moved from downtown Baltimore to Annapolis.  That accounted for 2 of the votes in Obama's swing
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 07:53:51 PM »

I always wondered why Anne Arundel, being in a Democratic state, near the I-95 corridor, reasonably dense, has a state capital, voted Republican. I stayed in Anne Arundel last summer (first time), and it looked less suburban than the Southern/Anytown USA suburbs that vote Republican, but not as welcoming as inner-suburbs such as Montgomery County.

BTW, I stayed across from the National Electronics Museum. I didn’t expect it to be there, and it had a low (but not free) price and small hours. Does anyone know why this is the case?
Benj

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »

It's mostly because of the military. Remember that the US Naval Academy is in Anne Arundel County. NE Anne Arundel County has a TON of military officers and retired military officers living in places like Lake Shore and Cape St. Clair. While the rank-and-file of the military has become more Democratic of late, the military leadership, especially retired ones, are still super Republican. The Navy (most of the Anne Arundel military presence) is also considerably more Republican than the Army, though less so than the Air Force and the Marines. The officer precincts are still incredibly strongly Republican.

Anne Arundel has not historically been a DC suburb; only the very fringe west of the county has had anyone commuting to DC until the past ten years or so. Much larger, especially in the past, are the suburbs of Baltimore in the north of the county, which are also quite Republican (Glen Burnie, Linlithicum Heights, etc.). Baltimore suburbs vote like they're in the South because to an extent they are.

Annapolis itself is only a small portion of the county, most of which is dominated by Baltimore suburbs and retired naval officers, plus increasingly DC suburban sprawl. The city itself is quite Democratic, but it's historically been outvoted by the Republican-leaning constituencies that have dominated the county in the past. That seems to be changing now with the growing DC suburban presence (including a lot more minorities), though, and I would not be surprised at all if Anne Arundel County voted for a Democrat for President in 2016.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 12:14:55 AM »

BTW, I stayed across from the National Electronics Museum. I didn’t expect it to be there, and it had a low (but not free) price and small hours. Does anyone know why this is the case?

Fort Meade not only houses the NSA, but it was where the first operational deployment of the Nike air defense system was done, which included what was for the 1950s some of the most sophisticated electronics available.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies