The Sandy Effect (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:36:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Sandy Effect (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: do you think that Sandy may have increased Obama's margins in NJ and NY?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: The Sandy Effect  (Read 1617 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 12, 2012, 06:23:47 PM »

Yes, there was an effect... unless you can give me another reason Ocean and Cape May counties on the Jersey shore would swing to Obama.  These towns are extremely wealthy, nearly 100% white, and the GOP could not have picked a better nominee for these areas.  
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 11:13:37 PM »

Sandy had some effect, though NY and NJ would probably still have trended D. I wonder if the LA and MS swings can be partially explained by Sandy reminding people about Katrina, and how Republicans botch natural disasters.

Trended is one thing.  For Obama to get SWINGS in the affluant white counties of NY and NJ when the country as a whole swung about 4 pts the other way, and the GOP candidate was Mitt Romney, shows that another factor was at play. 

Interesting point about MS and LA.  Louisiana shocked me, I thought for sure Obama was set to erode even more.  Mississippi is a little more understandable, as black voters made up a greater % of the voting populace. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies