Rice 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:36:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Rice 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rice 2008  (Read 4752 times)
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2005, 11:43:54 PM »
« edited: February 09, 2005, 11:51:28 PM by TN2024 »

Ok, after this Euope trip she has done pretty well, if she doesnt screw up anything theres really no reason for her not to run....

But what are the problems she would face?
Would she gain significant ground in the black vote?
Would she lose ground in other areas?

Please don't include you 3rd party nonsense, the angry while conservatives will not go vote for the democrat or a southern third party, so don't even go there, we hate each other far too much today to give the other side any advantage in large amounts...

But go ahead, fire away with what you think, I don't really want to know if you like her or agree with her, just how you think she'd do with the electorate and the campaign.

And god said "let there be maps"
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 11:49:28 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2005, 11:52:25 PM by nickshepDEM »

Problems:
Shes Black.
Shes unmarried.
Shes pro-choice.
Uncharismatic.
She has never held elective office.
No campaign experience.

Positives:
Shes black (would help her in some states)
She is extremley intelligent.
Foreign policy experience.

Black vote:
I could see her getting 15-20%, but no more.

She would lose ground in other areas?:
I think she would lose some ground in the south, but not enough to lose states like Mississippi, Alabama, etc...
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 11:51:16 PM »

I don't think much of her chances. An interesting VP possibility, particularly if she pulled a Cheney and renounced politican ambitions of her own.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 12:04:29 AM »

I agree with AuH20.  Americans don't like to elect someone who hasn't fought it out in the trenches. 

As a Veep candidate, however, she's golden!
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 04:51:10 AM »

Positives:

She is extremley intelligent.

it's a joke? I remember a Wapo article wich said that this woman was just... inefficient.
josh_24

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 04:29:44 PM »

she graduated high school at 15. enough said?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 07:05:30 PM »

Rice is a joke. She's one of the worst possible GOP nominees.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 07:12:06 PM »

Wapo article!  The Post is a Democrat Party mouthpiece.  That is what you would expect them to say.  Try reading the Washington Times for REAL news.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 07:52:34 PM »

she graduated high school at 15. enough said?
And had a doctorate by 24 or something.

Umengus, at what age did you graduate, and when did you get your doctorate?
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 09:05:32 PM »

Condi probably wouldn't be a very good candidate, but I hardly think that you can call her a joke.    However, you could call Kucinich and Sharpton jokes on the Dem side, and Sen. Smith R-NH and Garry Bauer jokes on the GOP side.

Condi, not hardly.
RN
Nixon
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 02:59:16 PM »

If she does well coming up, then I would say she would be an excellent VP.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 07:54:10 PM »

i dont believe she has any interest in being president (in the near future).

she pretty much has her dream job right now.

i could see her running for elective office after the bush presidency.  but any presidential run for her would be 2012 at the earliest.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 08:53:41 PM »

i dont believe she has any interest in being president (in the near future).

she pretty much has her dream job right now.

i could see her running for elective office after the bush presidency.  but any presidential run for her would be 2012 at the earliest.

Her dream job is NFL commissioner.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 09:03:24 PM »

Try reading the Washington Times for REAL news.

sorry, I don't consider a propaganda outlet owned by the Moonies to be real news.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2005, 07:17:19 AM »

I like Condeleeza Rice very much.

I don't favor her as a presidential candidate because:

-She's never held elective office.  Only somebody like Eisenhower can make the presidency his/her first elective office.  Her lack of political experience would put her at a severe disadvantage.

-She has never given the slightest indication that she is interested in elective office.

I think this boom for Rice is produced mainly by the fact that she is female and black.  Republicans are looking to counter Hillary as the potential Democratic nominee.

If Rice were nominated as a Republican, she would surely get my vote.  I don't oppose her in principle.  I just don't think she really wants it, nor do I think it's suitable to make the presidency the first elective office you seek unless you have some MAJOR accomplishment in other areas.  I don't think secretary of state fits the bill.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2005, 01:38:28 PM »

Dick Morris reckons Condi is about the only chance the GOP has of beating Hillary (he's being a bit presumptive there if you ask me) because she'll tap in to the two main pillars of the Democratic base: Blacks and single women

She might do, but will there be some haemorrhaging from the GOP base? For some, a Condi candidacy will be simply unpalatable

Dave
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2005, 01:46:14 PM »

Dick Morris reckons Condi is about the only chance the GOP has of beating Hillary (he's being a bit presumptive there if you ask me) because she'll tap in to the two main pillars of the Democratic base: Blacks and single women

She might do, but will there be some haemorrhaging from the GOP base? For some, a Condi candidacy will be simply unpalatable

Dave

Dick Morris is a complete fool who is right about nothing. He also said Hillary would be Kerry's running mate.
Snowe08
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2005, 04:57:41 PM »

My problem with the Dr. Rice for President sites - and it's exemplified by the www.rice2008.com site - is where's the policy? What does Dr. Rice think about healthcare? Abortion? Free trade? Education? The people who are founding these sites either don't know or don't care to display it publically. It just feels like they're playing the numbers game and nothing else - they see a black, female Republican candidate in the public eye, and that's all they feel that they need to know.

But that isn't enough, and surely we should demand more of a potential candidate - a compelling personal narrative is part of a candidate's package, of course, but it isn't enough in isolation.

I've seen people online frequently advocating Dr. Rice's candidacy, and they always seem so enthusiastic - What exactly about her attracts them to her as a candidate, I ask them? What policies has she advanced that you feel particularly qualifies her for the Presidency? What do you actually know about Dr. Rice's view's on a wide range of important policy issues? What is Dr. Rice's opinion on Social Security reform? On healthcare? What is Dr. Rice's view on the appropriate relationship between the Federal Government and the States? Does she approve of a Presidential line-item veto, or does she favor the supremacy of Congress in the legislative sphere? What is Dr. Rice's opinion about the trade deficit, how it can be reduced, and what is her view on whether the callue of the yuan should be decoupled from that of the dollar? What steps does Dr. Rice offer in terms of the progress of the next generation of environmentally-friendly technology, and the role of the United States in their development? What is Dr. Rice's solution to the problems of public education and the decline in math and "hard" sciences?

Of course, these are all beyond the ambit of the Secretary of State or the National Security Adviser, but they are most certainly within the ambit of the President. So let us turn to matters that are within Dr. Rice's job descriptions. What is Dr. Rice's view on how best to resolve the China/Taiwan situation, and how would she react to Chinese annexation of Taiwan? What action would a President Rice take should the North Korean government collapse? If such a collapse ocurred, and if China should annex North Korea, what steps would she take? What is her view on the Cuba trade embargo, and how does she differentiate the trade embargo on communist Cuba from the trade free-for-all with communist China? What is Dr. Rice's view on the development of democracy within Saudi Arabia and its extension in Iran? What are Dr. Rice's top five foreign policy goals during her term?

This is a very short list of extremely relevant questions - and thusfar, none of those advocating Dr. Rice's election have answered them, to my knowledge. The only rationale offered is that Dr. Rice is a black female Republican who is well-qualified to be Secretary of State. I support Dr. Rice's elevation to Secretary of State - but to the Presidency?! Neither Dr. Rice nor any of her supporters have yet offered anything that convinces me that she should be given the 2008 nomination.

Now, obviously, these concerns ares exacerbated in my case because I'm very publically backing a candidate with an equally compelling story, and lengthy resume which superbly qualifies her for the Presidency, in my view, to back it up. Namely, US Senator Olympia J. Snowe. While I play the numbers game too, and I would contend that Sen. Snowe's numbers match and better Dr. Rice's, Sen. Snowe backs up those numbers with three decades of public service, focused on the matters of great national import which a President will need to face.

Myself and a small group of volunteers are working as fast as we can to get the "real" website for www.olympiasnowe2008.com into production, and it will include a full rundown of Sen. Snowe's views on any given issue. I apologize that it's taking so long to get done, and it's very frustrating to me, because of course, this would be a handy time and place to post it. Wink

Yet, to return to the point at hand, what's interesting to me is that many of the people who will criticize the views of Sen. Snowe that we display on the site will sing Dr. Rice's praises - but while they will be told where Sen. Snowe stands on a given issue by our site, they will not find a similar explanation of the Secretary of State's views on any given issue on any of the Draft Rice sites.

Will Dr. Rice run? It seems perfectly likely. But my view remains that there is a far better candidate, should she be pursuaded to take the field.

~Simon
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2005, 06:03:53 PM »

Why Snowe?  She seems like a back bencher.  While you may like her on the issues, do you really think that she has the leadership qualities necessary to be Prez?
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2005, 07:14:37 PM »

She would lose a lot of southern states...

But if Hilary runs, she might pull a win off.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2005, 09:28:54 PM »

She would lose a lot of southern states...

But if Hilary runs, she might pull a win off.

what southern states would rice lose? and to who?
Snowe08
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2005, 10:34:12 PM »

Why Snowe?  She seems like a back bencher.  While you may like her on the issues, do you really think that she has the leadership qualities necessary to be Prez?
Yes, I think that she does; I like her record and I like her approach to public service. I don't agree with her on a handfull of issues, but across the broader sweep of public policy, I think she is (or could be) on the right side of the issues that are of gravest concern; I think that she's articulate and engaging, I think that she would win a sweeping victory in a general election (something which further recomends her, as the person who can complete the Republican realignment by winning a sweeping majority across red and blue state lines), and I think that she would be an excellent President.

I also think that when Sen. Snowe speaks of bipartisanship, she means working with both sides, while when this President speaks of bipartisanship, he means "we will work with anyone who will follow our agenda".

Of course, I'm also an optimist, but I think that everyone should be an idealist going into the primary. We should back the candidates we like most going in, and get behind the nominee when the process is done. Smiley

This is a very brief response, and I apologize for that, but I hope that when the site is available, the content presented there may better (meaning, more comprehensively) answer your question.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2005, 10:46:28 PM »

Too bad Snowe could never ever win a GOP national primary.
Snowe08
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2005, 11:06:11 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2005, 08:58:15 AM by Snowe08 »

Too bad Snowe could never ever win a GOP national primary.
Even if that were necessarily true, I would still say that it's worth the attempt; despite the desparate attempts of the Heritage Foundation and the Club for Growth to say otherwise, there is a wide constuency of moderate Republicans - maybe not quite as wide or loud the combined might of the neocons and theocons (I'm not using these as terms of abuse, I think that both bring unique and valuable gifts to the party), granted - who will respond to a candidate who can engagingly and fluently present issues which resonate with them. I think there is inherent value in the attempt.

However, as I mentioned previously, I think that there are unique circumstances surrouding the 2008 primary, circumstances which turn a Snowe victory from outright impossible to merely highly unlikely. You're right that it's a long shot, but I support Sen. Snowe's agenda strongly, I think that she would play an important role as President, I think that she should run, and I think that she would bring an important voice to the primary, even if she ultimately didn't prevail.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2005, 08:37:43 AM »

Sure she could - in Maine. Wink
What's her stance on abortion?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length