Romney would have won under the Congressional District method (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:30:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Romney would have won under the Congressional District method (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney would have won under the Congressional District method  (Read 4783 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: December 10, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »

Dave Wasserman ‏@Redistrict
@MittRomney won 222 Cong. Districts, @BarackObama 206.

Assuming Romney's 24 states give him 2 electoral votes for winning the state that would bring him to 270. Yeah, very democratic idea by the GOP if you lose the popular vote by 3.65% and counting! I still think that method likely fails under the equal protection clause. Violates one person one vote.
Apportionment of Electoral College votes (and for that matter, the Senate) is not subject to one man, one vote. The states can pick their electors any way they please. They could cancel the popular election and just pick homeless people off the streets if they want to.

Actually, a case could be made that if a State chooses to submit the selection of electors to a popular vote that it would be subject to one man, one vote, and thus by extension choosing by single member districts chosen just of the occasion.  After all, the 14th Amendment trumps Article II.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

As I recall, the one man one vote principle has been found to apply to State judicial elections in those States where judges are elected, so I see no reason why it would not apply to Electors.

However, no one with standing has chosen to bring such a suit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies