#FireBoehner
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 08:06:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  #FireBoehner
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: #FireBoehner  (Read 3357 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 12:12:53 AM »

If the Republicans want to lose their house majority, I welcome them to fire Boehner.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 12:15:23 AM »

I just found out Amash was removed from the budget committee. Angry Screw it, I officially support a movement to oust Boehner
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 12:29:29 AM »

Who would be some possibilities for those 16 votes?

Amash, Huelskamp, Schweikert, Jones and Gohmert are the five most likely suspects... I guess the next tier after that would be people like Jim Jordan, Mick Mulvaney, Tom McClintock and other rebellious members of the RSC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Study_Committee

And Massie, Yoho, & Bentvolio
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 12:30:45 AM »

So what happens if there are also sixteen Republicans who refuse to vote for anyone except Boehner?
CountryRoads
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2012, 12:36:53 AM »

I dislike Boehner with a passion, but i dont think this is good for the Conservative movement.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 01:23:14 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2012, 01:30:37 AM by Bacon King »

So I looked it up, and the rule/precedent is that the speaker has to win a majority of votes cast for people. In 1997, for example, Gingrich was reelected Speaker with less than an absolute majority of the chamber, due to abstentions.

This means two things-

1. the hypothetical rebellious congressmen need to actually cast a vote for someone (Congressman or not), not just vote present, for this to work.
2. Democrats can more easily manipulate the election because they won't even need to vote for Boehner, they only have to abstain.

Edit, source: this CRS report
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 02:34:50 PM »

So I looked it up, and the rule/precedent is that the speaker has to win a majority of votes cast for people. In 1997, for example, Gingrich was reelected Speaker with less than an absolute majority of the chamber, due to abstentions.

This means two things-

1. the hypothetical rebellious congressmen need to actually cast a vote for someone (Congressman or not), not just vote present, for this to work.
2. Democrats can more easily manipulate the election because they won't even need to vote for Boehner, they only have to abstain.

I'm not sure #1 is true. If enough GOP members vote present, then Pelosi receives more votes than Boehner and she is elected Speaker.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2012, 03:15:17 PM »

This means two things-

I'm not sure #1 is true. If enough GOP members vote present, then Pelosi receives more votes than Boehner and she is elected Speaker.

There's a pretty large gap there.  They'd need over 30 abstentions for that to be the case, while they'd only need 16 Republicans voting for someone else to gridlock it over and over until Boehner gives in.  The latter is far more likely.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 03:24:47 PM »

This means two things-

There's a pretty large gap there.  They'd need over 30 abstentions for that to be the case, while they'd only need 16 Republicans voting for someone else to gridlock it over and over until Boehner gives in.  The latter is far more likely.

I suppose voting present would require more votes, yes. And it doesn't create gridlock, it just elects Nancy Pelosi.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »

So what happens if there are also sixteen Republicans who refuse to vote for anyone except Boehner?
Boehner would try to strike a deal with the Dems to get some to vote for him.

Alternatively, it could go to a moderate (probably a moderate republican) who could cobble together enough Rs and Ds to get a majority.

technical support
thrillr1111
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2012, 02:34:52 AM »

Yes fire Boehner and bring back speaker Pelosi. She can get things done.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies