For BTRD: Our 2012 Forsyth County, GA update!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:02:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  For BTRD: Our 2012 Forsyth County, GA update!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For BTRD: Our 2012 Forsyth County, GA update!  (Read 2666 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2012, 02:43:41 PM »

Let's see how BTRD's "worst county in America" voted in 2012

2008:
McCain - 59,166 - 78.36%
Obama - 15,406 - 20.40%
+43,760 - +57.96

2012:
Romney - 65,908 - 80.64%
Obama - 14,571 - 17.83%
+51,337 - +62.81

Ugh... gross.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 09:43:21 PM »

That's actually not quite as bad as previous years, though it's the first time in awhile the Democratic vote numbers dropped, though so did turnout. Still obviously an awful place though.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:48:58 PM »

That's actually not quite as bad as previous years, though it's the first time in awhile the Democratic vote numbers dropped, though so did turnout. Still obviously an awful place though.

That's the thing, turnout across the state dropped... but more votes were still cast here.  Even so, with more votes being cast here, the Democrats got 1,000 less and the GOP got about 7,000 more. 
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:55:56 PM »

Forsyth County is a soulless wasteland of trailer parks oddly wedged in between cookie cutter subdivisions.

It has the poor white Appalachian folks combined with white flight refugees who fear public transportation. It all creates a very anti Obama culture.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »

Forsyth County is a soulless wasteland of trailer parks oddly wedged in between cookie cutter subdivisions.

It has the poor white Appalachian folks combined with white flight refugees who fear public transportation. It all creates a very anti Obama culture.

It's rather sad one has to cross the Badlands to get into the rather pretty (albeit insanely Republican) North Georgia mountains.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 11:09:53 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2012, 11:13:25 PM by cope1989 »

It's rather sad one has to cross the Badlands to get into the rather pretty (albeit insanely Republican) North Georgia mountains.

North Georgia is gorgeous, but I couldn't live there because I would inevitably be forced to talk politics with the locals. It's weird that N Georgia is so much more Republican than other mountainous areas in Western North Carolina. Cross the state line and you go from Rabun County GA where Obama got 21% (his best in the region) to Jackson County NC where he got 48%.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 11:35:01 PM »

North Georgia is gorgeous, but I couldn't live there because I would inevitably be forced to talk politics with the locals. It's weird that N Georgia is so much more Republican than other mountainous areas in Western North Carolina. Cross the state line and you go from Rabun County GA where Obama got 21% (his best in the region) to Jackson County NC where he got 48%.

I know! The intense conservatism of that area somewhat perplexes me.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2012, 10:10:12 PM by cope1989 »

Georgia is so frustrating. The suburban, rural and white vote is stubbornly a few points shy of making the state competitive. If North Georgia voted like Western NC, or if Cobb and Gwinnett were about 5 points more friendly toward Obama, he could have won or come very close.

I just hope Republicans realize that with high minority turnout the white vote is about 5 points shy of making the state toss up.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 11:55:25 AM »

wasn't there some type of neo nazi rally held there that got national attention? I'd guess it was about thirty years ago.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »

wasn't there some type of neo nazi rally held there that got national attention? I'd guess it was about thirty years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth_County,_Georgia#Marches_and_demonstrations_of_1980s

As of 2000, the county was less than 1% white, and the county seat only 2% as of 2 years ago. In a county adjacent to Fulton (Atlanta). Wow.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 09:36:07 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth_County,_Georgia#Marches_and_demonstrations_of_1980s

As of 2000, the county was less than 1% white, and the county seat only 2% as of 2 years ago. In a county adjacent to Fulton (Atlanta). Wow.

I think you might mean black? Grin
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 09:47:13 PM »

Jackson County has both a 10,000 student university (Western Carolina) and part of the Cherokee reservation so its population is about 10% Cherokee.  In other words, Jackson is definitely not a typical Appalachian county.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 02:02:14 AM »

I'll give you that, but Obama still performed much better in Western NC as a whole. Buncombe, home of Asheville, and the Cherokee counties are exceptions, but it also wasn't uncommon to see Obama hit the 40's in several others, and any county where Romney got more than 70% was rare. Contrast that with North Georgia, where it was rare to see Obama get 20%.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 02:22:32 AM »

Aww, y'all don't hate on Forsyth; I'm kin to their superintendent!

But really though, Cherokee County is even worse. Tongue
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 10:33:11 PM »

I'll give you that, but Obama still performed much better in Western NC as a whole. Buncombe, home of Asheville, and the Cherokee counties are exceptions, but it also wasn't uncommon to see Obama hit the 40's in several others, and any county where Romney got more than 70% was rare. Contrast that with North Georgia, where it was rare to see Obama get 20%.

Exactly, of the counties on the NC-GA border, Obama's best in GA was Rabun, where he lost 77%-21%, and Obama's worst in NC was Cherokee, where he lost 72%-26%.

I wonder if this is true in any other state border where Obama's worst county on one side of the border is better than his best county on the other side (excluding borders with only 1 county on either side). MA and NH come to mind.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2012, 11:50:15 AM by traininthedistance »

Exactly, of the counties on the NC-GA border, Obama's best in GA was Rabun, where he lost 77%-21%, and Obama's worst in NC was Cherokee, where he lost 72%-26%.

I wonder if this is true in any other state border where Obama's worst county on one side of the border is better than his best county on the other side (excluding borders with only 1 county on either side). MA and NH come to mind.

California and Arizona works too, unsurprisingly.  MA/NH doesn't work because Cheshire in NH is more Dem than Worcester in MA.  I expected New York and Vermont to work, but Clinton (Plattsburgh) beat out Rutland, which apparently weighs in at an incredibly anemic 59.7%.  I thought only Essex would be sub-60!

I also checked a couple other borders in New England, and Illinois/Kentucky, which doesn't quite make it (but probably did in 2008).  Can't think of any other plausible candidates.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 12:35:58 AM »

Are whites there really more Republican than those in the old Milton County? I'm skeptical.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies