Complete list of potential nominees for president
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:24:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Complete list of potential nominees for president
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Complete list of potential nominees for president  (Read 3188 times)
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2005, 02:18:58 PM »

I would like to see a complete list of who YOU personally think could run for your party's nomination (and who you would support on that list).  And if you want, the other party's too.

On mine:
1. Sen. Pryor (AR)
2. Sen. Bayh (IN)
3. Gov. Warner (VA)
4. Rep. Honda (CA)
5. Rep. Baldwin (WI)
6. House Minority Whip Hoyer (MD)
7. Sen. Kerry (MA)
8. Fmr. VP Gore (TN)
9. Gen. Clark (AR)
10. Rep. Kucinich (OH)
11. Rep. Strickland (OH)
12. Sen. Lieberman (CT)
13. Sen. Feingold (WI)
14. Sen. Harkin (IA)

I would support Pryor, then Hoyer, then Feingold, then Strickland.

For the Repubs:
1. Gov. Pawlenty (MN)
2. Sen. Allen (VA)
3. Mayor Giuliani (NY)
4. Sen. Dole (NC)
5. Sen. Santorum (PA)
6. Sen. Majority Leader Frist (TN)
7. Gov. Owens (CO)
8. Gov. Romney (MA)
9. Fmr. Speaker Gingrich (GA)
10. Rep. Musgrave (CO)
11. Rep. Issa (CA)
12. Gov. Barbour (MS)

If someone I hate gets the nom (Bayh, Warner, GORE), I would support Romney or Giuliani.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 06:54:49 PM »

is rep, issa the former car thief?  the same character that was the driving force behind the unecessary recall election in california?
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 03:11:57 PM »

is rep, issa the former car thief?  the same character that was the driving force behind the unecessary recall election in california?

Yes, but he's very famous; the repubs love him.
skybridge
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 04:06:40 PM »

I would like to see a complete list of who YOU personally think could run for your party's nomination (and who you would support on that list).  And if you want, the other party's too.

On mine:
1. Sen. Pryor (AR)
2. Sen. Bayh (IN)
3. Gov. Warner (VA)
4. Rep. Honda (CA)
5. Rep. Baldwin (WI)
7. Sen. Kerry (MA)
8. Fmr. VP Gore (TN)
9. Gen. Clark (AR)
10. Rep. Kucinich (OH)
11. Rep. Strickland (OH)
12. Sen. Lieberman (CT)
13. Sen. Feingold (WI)
14. Sen. Harkin (IA)

For the Repubs:
1. Gov. Pawlenty (MN)
2. Sen. Allen (VA)
3. Mayor Giuliani (NY)
4. Sen. Dole (NC)
5. Sen. Santorum (PA)
7. Gov. Owens (CO)
8. Gov. Romney (MA)
10. Rep. Musgrave (CO)
11. Rep. Issa (CA)
12. Gov. Barbour (MS)

If someone I hate gets the nom (Bayh, Warner, GORE), I would support Romney or Giuliani.

You left out the standard Hillary Clinton and Jeb Bush.
chris allen
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 06:18:13 PM »

You left off

Joe Biden
John McCain
Bill Richardson
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 08:17:02 PM »

From today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

"In the still-unformed '08 presidential race, 24 percent of Georgia Republican voters said they favor Giuliani, the former New York mayor, with Sen. John McCain in second with 18 percent."

So Republicans in a state that is more conservative than average are supporting these two moderates?  I know name recognition alone is a huge factor at this point in time, but nonetheless I find this surprising.
Snowe08
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 08:58:48 PM »

From today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

"In the still-unformed '08 presidential race, 24 percent of Georgia Republican voters said they favor Giuliani, the former New York mayor, with Sen. John McCain in second with 18 percent."

So Republicans in a state that is more conservative than average are supporting these two moderates?  I know name recognition alone is a huge factor at this point in time, but nonetheless I find this surprising.
Doesn't that rather depend on how the question was asked? Were people asked to give a name, or presented with a list of names; and, if the latter, which names in which order were they listed, and how were respondents asked to identify their preferences?

There's a classic book called How To Say Just About Anything With Statistics; how the poll is taken is usually at least as interesting as the answers it generates.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 09:48:26 PM »

how the poll is taken is usually at least as interesting as the answers it generates.

Right.  I don't have too many specifics on this poll, but I had similar doubts.  However, I do know that it was conducted by Strategic Vision, a very partisan Republican firm here in GA, and so therefore the results do have some value.  If such a conservative organization released a poll showing two moderates in the lead, there could be two possible explanations.  First, that even conservatives are willing to back Giuliani and McCain.  Second, that conservatives are trying to scare up some organization and support for a true conservative by showing how well the moderates are already doing.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 11:54:35 PM »

On mine:
1. Sen. Pryor (AR)
2. Sen. Bayh (IN)
3. Gov. Warner (VA)
4. Rep. Honda (CA)
5. Rep. Baldwin (WI)
7. Sen. Kerry (MA)
8. Fmr. VP Gore (TN)
9. Gen. Clark (AR)
10. Rep. Kucinich (OH)
11. Rep. Strickland (OH)
12. Sen. Lieberman (CT)
13. Sen. Feingold (WI)
14. Sen. Harkin (IA)

For the Repubs:
1. Gov. Pawlenty (MN)
2. Sen. Allen (VA)
3. Mayor Giuliani (NY)
4. Sen. Dole (NC)
5. Sen. Santorum (PA)
7. Gov. Owens (CO)
8. Gov. Romney (MA)
10. Rep. Musgrave (CO)
11. Rep. Issa (CA)
12. Gov. Barbour (MS)

These people are who I personally believe will run.  Jeb and Hillary both have said they won't run, and I believe them both.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 12:02:12 AM »

You left off

Joe Biden
John McCain
Bill Richardson

I don't believe that any of the three will run.  Biden always teases that he will run and never does.  McCain will be too old, I think.  And Richardson may consider it, but I don't think that he will run in the end.  By the way, nice to see another Arkansas Democrat!  Preston and I are the only active ones recently!
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 12:41:33 AM »

Richardson is practically running already, and Biden is probably going to get in (but might drop out early).

You left off Edwards.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 02:53:12 PM »

Richardson is practically running already, and Biden is probably going to get in (but might drop out early).

You left off Edwards.

People were contacting the DNC during the DNC race, including Kerry, Bayh, Warner, etc. talking to the people running about their help during the 2008 primary.  Edwards didn't even contact them once.  I really don't think he will run again, although I hope he does!

"Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) is vetting the leading candidates to be the next Democratic National Committee (DNC) chairman, and asking them to remain neutral in the presidential selection process in 2008. It is the latest indication that Kerry is putting down markers to run again for the party's presidential nomination in 2008.
His outreach to DNC candidates also marks his return to the fray after Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack, that candidate he was backing for chairman, ruled himself out of contention in November. The DNC contest is exposing the presidential ambitions of a number of Democratic politicians. In addition to Kerry, other potential 2008 presidential candidates have also contacted -- or been contacted by -- the several DNC aspirants, providing an early list of who is sending clear signals within the party that they will run for the Democratic nomination.
Over the past six weeks, Sen. Evan Bayh (Ind.), Sen. Hillary Clinton (N.Y,), New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, Virginia Gov. Mark Warner and Kerry have been in touch with former Denver Mayor Wellington Webb and former Michigan Gov. James Blanchard, said Webb and Blanchard -- the two DNC candidates who agreed to speak on the record on this issue. Those are the same names that several other DNC candidates, or their campaigns, have privately said they contacted."
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/1/12/133719/480

As for Richardson, I read the things about his comments regarding his run, but I just have a gut feeling that he won't.
skybridge
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 03:24:36 PM »

On mine:
1. Sen. Pryor (AR)
2. Sen. Bayh (IN)
3. Gov. Warner (VA)
4. Rep. Honda (CA)
5. Rep. Baldwin (WI)
7. Sen. Kerry (MA)
8. Fmr. VP Gore (TN)
9. Gen. Clark (AR)
10. Rep. Kucinich (OH)
11. Rep. Strickland (OH)
12. Sen. Lieberman (CT)
13. Sen. Feingold (WI)
14. Sen. Harkin (IA)

For the Repubs:
1. Gov. Pawlenty (MN)
2. Sen. Allen (VA)
3. Mayor Giuliani (NY)
4. Sen. Dole (NC)
5. Sen. Santorum (PA)
7. Gov. Owens (CO)
8. Gov. Romney (MA)
10. Rep. Musgrave (CO)
11. Rep. Issa (CA)
12. Gov. Barbour (MS)

These people are who I personally believe will run.  Jeb and Hillary both have said they won't run, and I believe them both.

I actually agree with you, they've just been on nearly every other list of predictions--often as front runners!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 05:05:58 PM »

Yes, he's a car thief who made a ton of money selling car alarms.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 05:10:41 PM »

Hey, good for him.  Not only did he turn around from his former life style, but he found a way to turn a profit and help others.  Ever see "Catch Me If You Can".  Same deal.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 05:17:20 PM »

Hey, good for him.  Not only did he turn around from his former life style, but he found a way to turn a profit and help others.  Ever see "Catch Me If You Can".  Same deal.

I saw that movie, (with DeCaprio, right?) and I think he did enough damage that he would have a hard time making it right, even by doing what he ended up doing.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 05:24:02 PM »

I saw that movie, (with DeCaprio, right?) and I think he did enough damage that he would have a hard time making it right, even by doing what he ended up doing.

I always thought that one of the great things about America is that who you were 10 years ago matters less than who you are now, provided that you acctually are a better person.  Don't have that is a lot of countries.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 05:32:43 PM »

Makes more sense than keeping them inside for ever
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 05:02:54 PM »

he is a horrible person.

i guess after his career as a car thief, he tool to stealing elections, which is what the recall amounted to.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies