Kerry - Romney Counties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:17:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Kerry - Romney Counties (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kerry - Romney Counties  (Read 9351 times)
Benj

« on: November 25, 2012, 07:56:16 PM »

What's the explanation for Volusia? Obama carried that one easily four years ago.

It was actually fairly close in the past few elections.  I think it is somewhat whiter than other counties as lets remember Kerry got over 40% of the white vote in Florida whereas Obama in 2012 did not.  The biggest difference is Bush won the Latino vote in 2004 in Florida whereas Obama won them by almost 20 points, so that might be the best explanation.  Also how close is it to the Space Coast as I know there was a lot of anger at Obama in that area.

I thought there might be anger, but Brevard County actually trended to Obama. I also doubt there are many people employed in NASA-related jobs in Volusia County. That said, the trend in Volusia was pretty small, enough to be just noise. In general, most of Florida moved against Obama, counterbalanced only by Obama's massive improvement in Dade County, presumably from doing far better with Cubans.

Generally speaking, Romney got the swings he needed to win Florida, except in Dade. On election night, as results came in, I was convinced Romney would win Florida until Dade County was so heavily reporting that it was clear there were no Romney-heavy parts of Hialeah that would tip it closer to the 2008 result.
Benj

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 11:44:48 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2012, 11:49:07 PM by Benj »

What's the explanation for Volusia? Obama carried that one easily four years ago.

It was actually fairly close in the past few elections.  I think it is somewhat whiter than other counties as lets remember Kerry got over 40% of the white vote in Florida whereas Obama in 2012 did not.  The biggest difference is Bush won the Latino vote in 2004 in Florida whereas Obama won them by almost 20 points, so that might be the best explanation.  Also how close is it to the Space Coast as I know there was a lot of anger at Obama in that area.

I thought there might be anger, but Brevard County actually trended to Obama. I also doubt there are many people employed in NASA-related jobs in Volusia County. That said, the trend in Volusia was pretty small, enough to be just noise. In general, most of Florida moved against Obama, counterbalanced only by Obama's massive improvement in Dade County, presumably from doing far better with Cubans.

Generally speaking, Romney got the swings he needed to win Florida, except in Dade. On election night, as results came in, I was convinced Romney would win Florida until Dade County was so heavily reporting that it was clear there were no Romney-heavy parts of Hialeah that would tip it closer to the 2008 result.

Obama also performed rather exceptionally well in Orlando.  Kissimee going from a Bush 04 county to a 60% Obama 2012 county is pretty significant.  It's interesting that Flagler also swung more than expected, although it's a county Romney "should" have won with his national numbers.

Demographic shifts are the entire story there, especially in Osceola County. At the 2000 Census it was majority white; at the 2010 census it was plurality Hispanic with a big black population. (All of the massive population growth has been lower-middle class suburbs full of hospitality-industry minorities.) It would have been a bit of a surprise if it didn't swing further to Obama, to be honest (similar to, say, Rockdale County, GA).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies