Kerry - Romney Counties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:37:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Kerry - Romney Counties (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kerry - Romney Counties  (Read 9516 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« on: November 24, 2012, 05:41:51 PM »

I know there were some particularly in the South, so anybody have a complete list.  I believe there were none in the Western half of the country while in Missouri it was only Ste. Genevieve County, there were a few in the Northeastern part of Arkansas, possibly one or two in Louisiana.  Not sure about Wisconsin as in the North you have a lot of really competitive ones that can go either way.  In Illinois there was Madison County, but thats all I can think of while in Michigan I believe Kerry won three counties in the Upper Peninsula as opposed to Obama's two.  There were the coal counties in Kentucky and a number of rural ones in Middle Tennessee, while in the Northeast I believe Beaver County, Westmoreland County, and Fayette County, all in SW Pennsylvania were the only ones.  Off course all the counties Kerry won in West Virginia as well as I think there were one or two in the extreme SW of Virginia that went for Kerry although those went for McCain in 2008.  In Florida, just Volusia County.  Anybody have a complete list.  If you take Gore to Romney there were obviously quite a few more.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 07:21:47 PM »

What's the explanation for Volusia? Obama carried that one easily four years ago.

It was actually fairly close in the past few elections.  I think it is somewhat whiter than other counties as lets remember Kerry got over 40% of the white vote in Florida whereas Obama in 2012 did not.  The biggest difference is Bush won the Latino vote in 2004 in Florida whereas Obama won them by almost 20 points, so that might be the best explanation.  Also how close is it to the Space Coast as I know there was a lot of anger at Obama in that area.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 05:23:15 PM »

All Kerry-McCain counties are Kerry-Romney counties. It would be more interesting to list Kerry-Obama-Romney counties.
I'm using the numbers posted here. I don't know if they've all been updated. Most are very close and could change if Atlas numbers aren't final. Anyhow:
Volusia, FL
Calhoun, IL
Madison, IL
Menifee, KY*
Rowan, KY
Wolfe, KY*
Arenac, MI
Big Stone, MN*
Ste Genevieve, MO
Belmont, OH
Jefferson, OH
Monroe, OH
Stark, OH
Houston, TN*
Jackson, TN*
Kenedy, TX
Boone, WV
Braxton, WV
Marion, WV
McDowell, WV
Webster, WV
Iron, WI
Pierce, WI
* denotes McGovern county

Looks like about half of them were coal counties.  Also I know there are two in SW Virginia that went for Kerry in 2004 but flipped to McCain 2008.  Also in Pennsylvania, there was Beaver County, Westmoreland County, and Fayette County (also part of coal country) which Kerry won in 2004, but Romney in 2012 and I believe those went for both Mondale and McGovern as well.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 01:04:17 AM »

Kerry didn't win Westmoreland; no Democrat has won it since Clinton (who only won it narrowly in 1996).

My bad, I meant Washington County, PA which Kerry did win.  Your right about Westmoreland County though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies